Login | Register

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:16 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Jim; this didn't happen to me (I had cancer in my eye) then my eye was removed; there are a lot of people on this site who have lost eye because of accident; bb gun; etc; I hope u find someone to talk to; cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Jim

Welcome to the site. I didn't lose my eye in an accident. I had Glaucoma then my eye was removed. You will get great support/advice here.

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:44 pm

Hello Jim, I bet Rukus will reply if he sees your post. His problems began with a motorcyle accident. Maybe you can private message him if he doesn't see your post. Best wishes and sorry to hear about all your troubles - Amy

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey! Sorry that you had the accident. Hopefully you didn't get a million bones broken in the accident as well.

My loss of my eye is different as well. I have Marshall-Stickler's Stickler's syndrome and have had a life long problem with my eyes. I cataract surgery, then 3 retina surgeries which all 3 were unsuccessful and lost the vision during my junior year of high school. Then the eye deteriorated and 4 1/2 weeks ago my eye was removed. Nearly reliving all the pain about my eye all over again.

Even though others here do not have the same path of how they lost their eye as me (I'm sure there might be one soul out there ;-) ) , I feel a great kinship and support with this group. Amazing how they "get it" and understand.

I know there are a few out there that lost their eye to a Motorcycle accident and hope you can build a great friendship and support with them!

Hang in there!

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 pm

I lost my eye due to an assult, crazy way for it to happen but it happened. Sorry to hear about your difficult situation all the best

Immortal Techniques

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Horrific accident not keeping Blue Springs man from his love of sports and his faith

The batter hit a line drive that exploded off the bat.
"I don't know if I ever really saw the ball," Keeton said, "because my initial reaction was to bring my glove up to protect my face."
The ball just missed his glove and shattered his left eye.
As the dazed pitcher crumpled to the mound, he noticed blood spewing from the socket where his eye had been a fraction of a second earlier.

"The ball hit with such impact," Keeton said, "my eye literally was knocked out of its socket. Most of my eyeball was on the field - right in front of me."

http://www.examiner.net/stories/080407/spo_174092013.shtml

Top Top

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Great story of personal faith and positive attitude to overcome a horrible experience. He is really inspiring!

Top Top

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 pm

In the interests of sanitation he decided to cut off the feathers. He laid the bamboo on a chopping block and cut it with a small axe. His nephew was standing about six feet away. The kid felt something enter his eye but it was an hour or two before the adults realized something was wrong. The child was rushed to hospital and the eye removed.

http://www.nugget.ca:80/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=644228&catname=Editorial&classif=

Top Top

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for an "eye-opening" story and link....regards, Larry

Top Top

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm so glad that you take the time to post these stories. I read every one of them. People lose their eye in so many different ways, and who would have thought about some of the freakish accidents that can occur.

Top Top

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:04 am

My accident was nearly identical, although my eye stayed in the socket until it was pried open in the hospital...then the pieces came out. Thanks for the story!

Hold my eye and watch this!

Top Top

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:56 am

lscuneo wrote:
My accident was nearly identical

Yeah, I realised that when I posted the story.

lscuneo wrote:
Thanks for the story!

You're welcome :)

Top Top

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting this, it was a nice read. I had to opt out of my company softball team this year because of all the retinal re-attachment surgeries I kept needing and I was told to limit vigorous activity while it healed. I love baseball / softball. I used to play baseball in high school and college and to be honest I haven't even tried putting on a glove to even play catch since my injury. Does anyone here still play regularly? Are you able to catch hard hit balls still or judge fly balls properly? Obviously hitting the ball well again will take some adjustment.

The other interesting thing about the article was he said he didn't really feel much pain. My eye was injured from shattered glass that tore through a muscle attached to my eyeball and then came to rest inside my eye. When I tell the story people always cringe and say that must have hurt a lot. But it didn't really, it felt more like I had an eyelash stuck in there. Also the last image I perceived out of my eye looked kind of like a lava lamp with the blood mixing with the vitreous as the glass sped through the eye. Like he said in the article, I'll always have an interesting story to tell at least.

Top Top

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 pm

It's been a while since ive posted anything so i'll sum up for everybody....

1. Had accident march '06 (Ouch) :-(

2. Had 1st prosthesis put in (Dec. '06) (Really Hurt)

3. Had eye removed and orbital implant "bioeye" Installed. (May '07) (Relief)

4. Got New Prosthesis (Looks Better and Doesnt hurt when i put it in)

5. Fixed Drooping Lid a Month or Two ago. (July '07) (Looks Better)

6 Probably gonna get pegs ASAP.

Thats All Folks.

Top Top

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi matey, I'm Andy

Nice to meet ya

I'm sporting one of them drooping eyelids, looks like I've taken a right hook, what was involved in sorting it was you out of action long???

Male
in the 25-32 bracket (Just) ;)
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 am

“I can’t stand Don Cherry,” interjected Farrell with disgust.

This surprised us so Farrell explained that he hates the fact that Cherry doesn’t support the use of visors in the NHL.

So, Farrell tells the story of seeing Cherry holding court in a sports bar. Farrell marches up to the table, pops out his glass eye, plops it down on the table, stares Cherry in the face and tells him, more or less, “That’s what happens when you don’t wear a visor!”

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=6&cat=46&id=1068977&more=0

Top Top

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:02 am

[img]image%20removed[/img]

THIS shocking photograph shows in explicit detail the full horror of a glass attack.
The victim was Richard Blackmore, 18, who was enjoying a night out with pals when he was glassed in the right eye.
He was rushed to hospital but, despite valiant efforts by medics, he has received the devastating news that it will have to be removed and replaced with a glass eye.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sundaysun/news/tm_headline=campaign-backed-by-victim-8217-s-mum&method=full&objectid=19832080&siteid=50081-name_page.html

Top Top

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm

I lOVE THAT!!!

I actually did that myself to teach my friends' children not to "horse around"
I didn't know if it worked because all they said was "EWWW, Do it again!!!"

Top Top

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 pm

Site Admin

until you understand hockey, the physics of it, shot-blocking, etc. you can't pass judgement on whether or not to wear a visor.
at the level and speed that these guys play, a shield between their eyes and reality can warp the action

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:33 pm

This is a collection of a bunch of small threads as of January 13, 2008, on the topic of accidents causing eye loss.

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW