Login | Register

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm

I have so many question to ask, my husband is dying to get a motorcycle to drive to work and back. I am so scared that something going to happen to him,I see things and notice things he does that show me his depth is still off. To me he would have to turn his head all the way around to see what is beside and behind,like in changing lines. I notice that some people fly planes with one eye,I think thats great. He gets upset at me when I say he can't get one, am I being overly concerned? Beth

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Site Admin

yes.
has your husband been on a motorcycle before?
if yes, then go for it. it may be a good idea to take an msf (motorcycle safety foundation) course before he hits the roads.
also start smaller and used, and worked your way up. dont start running before you can even walk.
also make sure he gets a PROPER full face helmet. do not get a beanie with goggles or sunglasses.
if he has questions ask me.

by the way. i lost my eye and much more due to a motorcycle accident.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:04 pm

LOL @ rukus. You really are not a very good advertisement for motorbike riding. :D

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Site Admin

no,... no i guess im not.
oh well.

ps. your husband would probably be safer racing bikes.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Evil Genius

I agree with Rukus, make him take MSF Courses and make sure he wears the best safety equipment money can buy.

When I ride, I always wear a top of the line full face helmet (Snell approved) Kevlar armored jacket (full sleeve with armor in back, Shoulders and elbows) Full gauntlet gloves with armor over the knuckles, long pants (Jeans or stronger) and over the ankle leather boots with metal rings to protect my ankles..

In addition, I have these silly looking hyper reflective arrow shaped stickers on my helmet that I get from a company called sewell and Jones to make myself even more noticable to other traffic, and I also put reflective tape on my saddle bags etc

I always wear this gear even in 100+ degree heat

As for problems with my eye, I have to turn my head furtther but that's about all,,,if he can drive a car then the bike isn't much different depth perception wise

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 pm

I sure hope riding a motorcycle is ok, cus its one of my favorite things to do. Just gear up and be smart, a helmet with visor is a must, a good riding jacket and gloves are a good idea too.
If he has'nt really riden before the safety course is a good idea.

Riding a motorcyle does'nt have to be a dangerous hobby, just be smart.

This is my seccond summer riding with vision in one eye on my sport bike (crotch rocket) and its yet to cause me any problems or harm

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:48 pm

Site Admin

Quote:
Riding a motorcyle does'nt have to be a dangerous hobby, just be smart.

riding motorcycles is perfectly safe. its when you start crashing em is when it gets dangerous.

Top Top

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:28 am

Evil Genius

THe way the MSF Teaches it is that like everything else in this world, Riding is not 100% safe but through training and attention/preperation you can reduce your risk to acceptable levels.

Is it any more dangerous then say riding in a car? that depends on the rider, I can reduce my risk to where I am comfortable, and I find riding to be a BIG stress reliever, and a really enjoyable pasttime...

Top Top

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:58 am

mcgyver74 wrote:
THe way the MSF Teaches it is that like everything else in this world, Riding is not 100% safe but through training and attention/preperation you can reduce your risk to acceptable levels.

Is it any more dangerous then say riding in a car? that depends on the rider, I can reduce my risk to where I am comfortable, and I find riding to be a BIG stress reliever, and a really enjoyable pasttime...

I agree

Top Top

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:26 am

Hey Beth, I say let him go for it....if he follows what the guys say here to be safe. Just think now you have an excuse to get biker chick outfits ;)

Top Top