Login | Register

Fri May 26, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi,
Being new to driving with one eye, I'm looking for a vehicle that is not only safe, but would have the rear backup sensors, or front senors, darker tinted windows as allowable by law all the way around and other stuff.

Is there any consensus on vehicles? Not that I expect one - it's kind of like jelly. Everyone loves their favorite.

Input would be nice.

Thanks,
Sara

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi Sara and welcome,

I am not sure of your Location as you are not a member.

But in the UK there are extra Sensors IE parking sensors that you can have fitted to your car :roll:

Regards Ian

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 pm

Sarah, I'm pretty new to driving with one eye too, and to be honest, I was fairly crap at parking before my operation, so nothing new there!!.

Seriously though, I think Ian is right - There are plenty of add ons commercially available. Off rhe top of my head, the AA or RAC in Ireland and the UK might be a good starting point or whatever their equivalent is where you are.

The Sunday Times newspaper also has a very good 'Driving' section [/url]http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/[url] and there may be some pointers to relevant products and suppliers there.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping my pwn car that I'm used to rather than getting used to a new one (not to mention paying for it!!!).[/url]

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi Sara,

I drive a Subaru Forester, and I looooove it. There are virtually no blind spots in this car (pardon the pun). It's classified as a compact SUV, but it handles like a car and is easy to get in/out of (I'm short). I like being slightly elevated and having such an expansive view. Oh, and the 30 MPG highway. :D

FWIW, I would not consider cars with a small rearview window. That exaggerates the blind spots, especially tough when going in reverse or trying to merge on the right. It's tough enough navigating the LA freeways whether you've got one eye or two! :wink:

-PJ

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 5:55 pm

I drive an SUV which sits up very high, has large mirrors, and never passed a gas station that it didn't like.

Suggest that you get some round 1" wide angle mirrors and put those on the outside of the normal mirrors on both sides -- this will really cut down on the blind spots.

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri May 26, 2006 6:38 pm

I traded my SUV last year for a VW Jetta with turbo diesel. I really miss the luxury and space of a SUV, but I don't miss the fuel pumps. I get 45 mpg and loving it. :) I do have those spot mirrors on my outside mirrors and it helps alot.

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 7:09 pm

Banaltra Banphrionsa

I drive my Mam's BMW 3 series, which has parking sensors, and I loooooove it.

Its interesting you bring this up, because as of Tuesday, I will be driving her new BMW 1 Series, also with parking sensors, but a smaller car, with a smaller back window....

Hmmm! We'll see what happens! lol.

I learnt to drive in a Landrover Discovery, and I agree with the rest of you about the higher up cars.
I love to drive SUV type vehicles, but here in the city it aint wise for both of us to have a car (couldnt afford to run it anyway!) As I commute by Tube most of the time, and there is a £8 per day congestion charge when you drive into central London, Mam's car it is!

I have driven all types and sizes of vehicles though, from Tractors, Transit Vans, Ambulances, small little city runners, and then Mam's Beemer..... I have to say that I have always been able ot adapt to the different vision fields out of each....
But hey, I better not speak to soon! :wink:

Parking Sensors are a must, but be warned, once you get used to them it is very hard to go back to a car without them!

Top Top

Fri May 26, 2006 7:59 pm

Sara,

I am blind in my right eye :roll: . Therefore, I stay away from vehicles having a large blind side in the right side area. Both my wife and I have 2004 SUVs. She has a Toyota 4Runner and I a Toyota Sequoia. Her 4Runner has 7 seats. Two of these seats fold up in the rear. With that right seat folded up it just adds to the bad blind spot that this vehicle has :shock: . Otherwise the 4Runner is great :wink: .

I really like my Sequoia and it has great visibility :D . I personally added back up sensors to both vehicles. It was easy to do, just jump a wire off of the left backup light and run the wires. (Piece of cake and it helps with driving a big SUV like the Sequoia.)

The state of Missouri requires that I have a Right Hand door mirror?? :lol: I have never trusted mirrors and I still look before merging into the right hand lane :? .

My suggestion is to sit in the drivers seat of a perspective vehicle and have someone walk around the back of the car while you are looking :) . That way you may determine how much visibility you have :wink: . Also, determine how comfortable it is for you to handle maneuvering into parking spaces.

Top Top

Wed May 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Although I cringe as I write this, my experience is tha an SUV is by far the most one-eyed friendly vehicle. I cringe becasue I just filled mine up and it costs $65.00 (which equates to two pair of new shoes a week!!). You sit high, have lotsa visibility in the blind spots and becasue of their size usually have larger mirrors. I don't realize how much easier they are to drive until I travel and have to rent a sedan. Also, the best $5 you can spend will be for the little convex mirrors than attach to your rearviews. Another suggestion is to test drive a car for at least 36 hours before you buy to make sure you feel comfortable in it. Aside from being good for us monocular folk, I feel much safer in a big, heavy truck than I do in a little tin can car.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi,

I too bought a Rav 4 (SUV) 4 years ago, best thing I have ever done. I am not a confident driver but this definitely helps.

M.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:15 pm

I'm blind on my right side, and have always driven Vans or SUVs, with the exception of a sedan when I learning years ago. While I didn't mind driving the vans, they were relatively easy to backup and park, I love driving SUV's. I've don't mind driving a Ford Escape, although when turning around to backup the head rest is in the way a little. Backing up a Lincoln Aviator is easier, and the backup sensors are nice. But, I've had the best luck with GMC SUV's, the head rests are better for turning around on the left, and after driving one with a rear camera, I'll never again own a car that doesn't have a rear camera.

Wouldn't mind trying a Subaru though, gas does add up quickly, but it's nice to have the clearance and 4WD for those mornings when there's 12 inches of snow on the roads.

Top Top