Login | Register

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find a driving instructor that specialized in monocular vision? Or if anyone had any tips. Ive taken the test maybe 15 times since I was 18. Its not that Im a bad driver, I fail every time for things like driving to slow. I get too nervous that I wont see something and will crash. Ive had a driving instructors before, but they werent much help.

Top Top

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I've been a one eye person all my life.I had my bad eye remover in 1988.I couldn't see out of it anyhow.I.m 52 & i have been driving since i.ve been 18.I drive all over the country when i go on vacation.If i can do it so can you!!Trust your abilty!!

Top Top

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:02 am

Hi Mikey
Sounds like you need lots of practise as I have been driving for 30 years with monocular vision, really all it is is practise, practise and more practise to get your confidence up. Of course it can be scary however "repitition is the mother of skill", hang in theere buddy and you can get your license.
Cheers from Aus
Barry :)

Top Top

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:23 am

Evil Genius

Agreed, practice makes perfect, I drive cars, ride motorcycles and even fly small airplanes with one eye.... You can do it!! :)

Top Top

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:08 am

sounds like the problem is in your head, nothing to do with being monocular. loads of binocular people have the same problem.My advice, get out there and get on with it. Practice quick starts,quick stops, get confident in controlling your car. Bite the bullet and get out amongst the traffic. Don't be afraid of failure. Nobody ever gets it right. Buy a car with parking sensors,tight manouevres are the ony limitation put on you by monocular vision. Make sure the examiner knows you are monocular by telling him/her before you start your test. Before you know it, this will all be in the past!

Top Top

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:41 pm

I lost my sight in my right eye in August, and started driving in October. Driving to me is huge I always drive to settle down my thoughts. Best thing I can tell you is just get it done, don't let these worries bother you. It's hard but you gotta get it done and like anything it's your duty to yourself to get it done so do it.

Top Top

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi Mike,
No words of wisdom here. I'm not and have never been the most confident driver. I passed my test at 18, but I still don't like merging on highways, highway driving & driving at night. I live in New Jersey which has the most dangerous roads, congested population and untill recently, Circles. I just wanted to let you know that its not a walk in the park for everyone (me) but if you come up with a slow and steady plan, I know you'll be OK. I have a feeling that you lack confidence and make yourself a wreck for these driving tests. Practice and patience Mike, I know you can do it.
Best wishes,
Amy

PS Extra mirrors and a few slow deep breaths wouldn't hurt you either.

Top Top