Login | Register

Fri May 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi all I just finished my school gonna get a driver's license.
I do not have singed up yet but I would like to.

Got a glass eye in my right side , my left has good vision but I was wondering if its gonna be that simple to get a license with one-eyed -vision ,in particular if you want to look back while sitting on the left side and you don't have a right eye

I'd be glad for some feedbacks

Gary

Top Top

Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Evil Genius

I don't know where you are located, but I know here in NY/NJ you have to have at least 20/40 vision in ONE OR BOTH eyes :)

When I got my license in NY it was no big deal, I just went and took the tests and that was it, when I moved to NJ i had to get my eye doctor to fill out a form saying I could drive before they would transfer my NY License to NJ (but then again New Jersey always did have very wierd DMV laws....)

I find when I drive that I have to look further over my shoulder when changing lanes to the right (blind in right eye) but that's it, and it doesn't affect my ability to drive....

Hope this helps

Top Top

Fri May 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Well , thanks alot

Im from germany I hope this is as simple as in NJ to get it.

But thanks anyway.

:D

Top Top

Sat May 19, 2007 4:00 am

I got my license at 16 with two eyes but at age 20 with only one it was time for renewal and another eye test. I didn’t have a clue about the rules and decided to just keep my mouth shut and hope for the best. The exam guy told me to look into this scope thing and read the lines. No problem. Then he said “what side is the light blinking”? It was on my right so I felt lucky. License in hand I began to think – wow – what a scientific eye test. First I had a 50/50 chance of being right about the blinky light, but then if I didn’t see the light on the right side, duh, it must be blinking on my blind side. Later at the DMV I owned up to being monocular and it still was no hassle. My Alabama license is simply coded for mandatory rear-view mirrors and I have never seen a car that did not come with those. Now American states do have the most liberal driving license requirements so it is probably tougher in Europe. A little advice – go to any auto store and buy the little round concave mirrors to affix to your rearviews. They are magic for seeing in the “blind” spots.

Top Top

Sat May 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Thank you very much , I'll think it over to get these concave mirrors ,thanks.
But i guess the easiest way to get that license would be to move to the US :lol:

I'll see what i can do to cheat on the doc who's testing me lol.
No , but seriously i hope its gonna be not that difficult to get it .
But crammed with thousands of mirrors isnt the best either i think
(i know in case i have to have the mirrors its just for my n the others safety but ) i cant take my friends car sometimes :?

But nevertheless thx alot. :)

Top Top

Sun May 20, 2007 9:59 am

It would be easy enough to find out the rules for getting a licence. The rules for the UK are on the web and I expect the German rules are too. In the UK it's easy to get a licence to drive a car with only one eye. There are restrictions on driving public service vehicles but not cars.

Top Top

Sun May 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Banaltra Banphrionsa

The UK standards are in line with EU Directives - and so I cant see how Germany will be any different.

You'll have a spot of bother if your aim is to drive a truck or a bus, but as far as a car, motorcycle or small van goes, theres no restriction.

Top Top

Wed May 23, 2007 11:03 pm

kk many thx ,I really appreciate that :)

Top Top

Thu May 24, 2007 8:59 am

Come down to OZ guys.Here the only notification the authorities need re one eye is when I renew my license every 5 years, I reassure them I still have one eye :D . As long as you have good vision in the remaining eye you can drive here.
Cheers
Barry :)

Top Top

Sat May 26, 2007 12:34 am

Should not be a problem at all getting a drivers lic. Just need vision in one eye. I suggest having adjustable mirrors that are easy to adjust. When you drive remember to shift your head a little at intersections. This helps you to see any blind spots that may have a vehical/pedestraian that may be not observable behind them. (example the window corners)

Having one eye didn't affect me of getting a license. I have driven many sorts of vehicals. From large trucks to small cars and including motor cycles. No issuses with getting a license or any certification here.

Good luck, and double check your blind spots.

Buckridge.

Top Top

Mon May 28, 2007 7:40 pm

thanks dude :)

Top Top

Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:46 am

mcgyver74 wrote:
I don't know where you are located, but I know here in NY/NJ you have to have at least 20/40 vision in ONE OR BOTH eyes :)

When I got my license in NY it was no big deal, I just went and took the tests and that was it, when I moved to NJ i had to get my eye doctor to fill out a form saying I could drive before they would transfer my NY License to NJ (but then again New Jersey always did have very wierd DMV laws....)

I find when I drive that I have to look further over my shoulder when changing lanes to the right (blind in right eye) but that's it, and it doesn't affect my ability to drive....

======
I read your post and I'm scared to death right now because instead of mailing licenses now, you have to go to the DVM to renew. I didn't think much of it until I got there. I have a lazy right eye. Had it since I was 12, and over the years, I suppose it got weaker because when I covered my left eye, I couldn't see any of those letters, yet, it has not created any disadvantages in my driving abilities or my driving. I don't mind taking a driving test.

My left eye is 40/20 and my right eye is 100/20 (is what they put down) I was surprised myself that my right eye decided to go to sleep, but Optomotrists have been telling me all my life that my left eye will continue to compensate for my right eye and it has. Don't wear glasses because I see fine, except the fine print, and for that I wear reading glasses.

I'm living in San Francisco. I think if they took my drivers license away, I'd drive anyway. Hopefully I can get a letter from my Optomotrist that verifies that my left eye compensates for what I don't see in my right eye and doesn't infringe on my driving. Because, I don't even think I need glasses, as I see things so clearly (except the little letters at the DMV). Help

Hope this helps

Top Top

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:20 am

[quote="mcgyver74"]I don't know where you are located, but I know here in NY/NJ you have to have at least 20/40 vision in ONE OR BOTH eyes :)

My driving is fine. Never had a moving violation. Everything is crystal clear and I had 20/40 vision in my left eye, and my right eye was the lazy one and the optomotrist told me tha the good eye compensates for the lazy eye. So, why are they making me go back to the optomotrist and the back to the DMV. Will either glasses of a letter from the optomotrist do?
I live in San Francisco

Top Top