Login | Register

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:50 am

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have a question. Tomorrow I hope to get an appointment to an optomotrist IF they cover it through my insurance.

I was wondering what route would be better. Since my left eye compensates with excellent vision what my right eye has lost, it hasn't impaired my driving vision. Should I ask the optomotrist if it were possible to write a form or letter explaining that. In that way I won't need corrective lenses. I don't need them and it has really been bothering me that my vision is perfect driving but they refused to give me a driving license.

OR

Would it be better to have the optomotrist examine my eyes (he will anyway) and see if he can make a lens that sees at least something in my right eye. It's been over my head all weekend, and I'm really scared. I don't mind driving with corrective lenses (if it's possible), but what if it's not.

I still have some vision in my right eye (but only for objects far away) and my left compensates for whatever my right lacks. I've never had a moving violation and what if they refuse me? Is there a way to appeal or something. I find the vision requirements in SF and it said as long as I had 20/40 vision in one eye..which I did, why did they say I didn't meet that criterion. It's written down.

Top Top

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 am

Hi Trudi,

If I were you I would ask the optometrist's advice. He or she will know what's best for you and will also know the driving regulations.

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 am

I agree with Ann. If your vision in your good eye is up to driving standards then your optometrist will help you with whether you need corrective lens to make the eye better or whether it already meets the driving standards as is.

If you need a second opinion from another optometrist, get one.

good luck.

Cher
:)

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 pm

I know in Massachusetts & Arkansas if you fail the eye exam (or know you will) you can get a letter from your optomotrist and then you won't need to take the vision test at the DMV. your DR knows the form to give you and that should be all you need to get out of the vision part anyways...Good Luck

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Cher/Kendra,

You know, I honestly didn't know that I would fail the eye test because I had not gotten one in a long time. I guess with time, my lazy eye, got lazier and I myself was shocked not to be able to see clearly out of that eye as I did.

But, as I said before, I have 20/40 in my left eye, and 20/40 with both eyes. What bugs me is, if I had almost perfect vision with both eyes, well that's how I drive and that's how I see. And I have good peripheral vision. Why don't those clerks behind the counter know what to do. She was at a loss.

My eye exam is next week 45 minutes away from where I live. I would not want them to ask me to take a test though, even though that would show them my adequate abilities, but a test is always nervewracking. I took a test when I was 18, the first time for goodness sake. I will keep you posted AND also print what you had to say in your E-mail. I'm not worried about the eye test. Thank you for help making me feel a little better!

Trudijane :!:

Top Top