Login | Register

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi,
Well the DMV eye test, I take it tomorrow. I have to driver 45 miles away to see my optomotrist so she can give me an eye test.

I'd really hope they have some kind of form, rather than having to create a lens so that I can see some little letters, that I can't see. I won't wear the glasses because I can see 20/40 in both eyes and my left eye. My right eye under compensates, and my left eye takes over for it and together there is more of a balance.

I don't want to spent a whole lot of money to buy glasses, a frame, etc. when I've been driving 40 years like this, with good peripheral vision. I guess a knowledgeable optomotrist will understand what I'm trying to say. If not, I will not leave there w/o another opinion.

All in all, if the O insists that I get a pair of glasses (probably bi-focals) and I have to get a pair of glasses so I can read the letters (if I can??) I will just to keep my driver's license AND
take a driving test. Tests are kind of nervewracking though.

Then I have to go back to the DMV one way or another OR a place that makes the cheapest lenses or something, and wait a few hours, for the 2nd time until 4 years from now.

Sigh. Well at least I will get it over with. I like eye exams though. I think they're kind of fun! I have to drive 45 minutes and I'm a night owl, so it means I have to wake up real early (for me). I already have the alarm clock set.

So, thank you all for giving me such support and help me imagining myself staying home. I value my independence too much.

Trudijane :?

Top Top

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:27 am

Good luck for your eye test! Hope all goes well.

Top Top

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:38 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi; goodluck with the eye test and hope your licence is renewed; cheers vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:40 am

Tina wrote:
Good luck for your eye test! Hope all goes well.

Tina and all,

It went very smoothly and I was worried for nothing. It's kind of fun taking eye tests; and she filled out a form saying that I don't need glasses for driving.

The only thing she said to me was the only thing she could really do is make just "one" contact lens for my right eye since my eyes are so different.

Luckily, I got a smart person and the DMV this time and all went well. Thank you for your support. It meant alot to me.

Trudijane

Top Top

Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:01 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Well done .... so happy for u ..... cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 am

I'm glad to hear things went well. Happy driving and take care on the roads. There are some eejits out there.

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm

see all that worry and now everything will be fine. Congrats! Now you can breath again............LOL

I know with my good eye they made me a progressive contact lens so there's no need for glasses 24/7. I don't like to wear it all the time because I want to keep my good eye (only eye) healthy but for special events I wear the contact lens and for regular daily use I wear my progressive glasses for reading.

Cher
:)

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:42 am

Cher, what is the make or your progressive contact lens? I was told that you need two working eyes for progressive contact lenses to work properly. How does it work for you?

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Congrats Trudijane....I know the sorrow of loseing your license to drive first hand and I remember the fear every time I'd go to renew it! each time was horrible knowing I am closer to loseing it forever....I'm glad you were able to get it once again. My lose was because I didnt know I was even on the side walk and crashed into a pole. Dang who put that stupid pole in the road...lol...But seriously you'll know when it's time to give it up. you don't want to hurt or kill someone because of your stubborness. I remember trying to get it on the vision test, the lady asked me to please read the top line I asked her if she could please turn the machine on....she looked horrified and said ohhhhhhh hunny it is on.....well needless to say I had to turn it in for a State ID. I don't have any regrets, just once in a while I feel trapped not being able to just take off when I please, but my friends and family are always willing to drive me wherever I need to go. So cherrish your priviledge of driving and know when to give it up! It's not the end of the world, and actually can help you be more socialable by asking for help getting places. Good Luck Kendra :hilfe:

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:24 pm

HI Ann,
No, I'm not sure why they would tell you that you need two working eyes to wear a multifocal contact lens as I've been wearing one for about 2 years now. I still prefer my glasses because unlike regular contact lenses the multifocal ones do not offer the best in both near and far vision so you're lacking in either one or the other in order to wear them so close to the eye. They have not been properly designed yet to have both strong vision in near and far so when ordering them you need to make a choice if you would rather see distance clearly or read more clearly. In my case I chose to have really good distance and a lower quality of reading but still sufficient to get the job done. If you look at the multifocal lenses they are really cool, they look like progressive glasses with the distance on top and then the reading on the bottom of the contact which is amazing they can do that all in one contact lens but depending on the shape of your eye and your perscription as well as whether you have astigmatism or not will depend on which brand of contact lens they decide to fit you with as there are many different name brands. Mine are currently Bausch & Lomb multifocal but I have tried many different brands to find which one is right for me. Don't forget you can also order one's that come in a six pack and you throw them away each month or you can order one contact for a larger amount of money that you wear for a year. There are many different choices out there and you need to find the right contact lens fitter to help you with the process as it should be someone who specializes in this field.

hope this helps......

Good luck,

Cher
:)

Top Top