Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:02 pm

Mirrors

Carrie

Subject: Mirrors

Can you tell me where to find the "fish-eye" side mirrors and wide-angled review mirror you mentioned in your article?

Thanks in advance.

---------------

nascarphotog

you can find them in any auto parts stores like Advanced Auto, Auto Zone or Sears

---------------

Andrew

I'm not sure what fisheye mirrors are but, I have these small, round wide-angle convex mirrors that glue onto my regular side-view mirrors. They take time getting used to but are very helpful. (actually, I never thought to get them, but my used car just happened to come with them)

---------------

ski

Subject: Mirrors

I found what is called the Lane Changer at the local Canadian Tire and they are apparently available at any store that supplies auto accessories. It is great! NO more blind spot and now everyone in my family uses them! By the way the Lane Changer is a mirror that you can mount over top of the rear view mirror in your car.

---------------

---------------

please help-results of appeal

Subject: please help-results of appeal

hi! guys, I just returned from Australia to Singapore. After spending 3 years there, I just cant adapt to the environment here in Singapore. Anyway, I was "welcome" by the results of my appeal(to allow me to learn driving in Singapore) when I came back to Singapore. The appeal failed.

This is what being said in the letter sent to me by the authority," As a good vision is essential for the proper operation of a motor vehicle and any marked loss of visual acuity will diminish a person's ability to drive safely, we regret to inform you that we are unable to accede to your request."

Don't worry folks! I will not give up, I will fight till the end, but hope to get some advice from you guys. Thank you.

Best regards Geok Ching, Soon

---------------

Chris

I've never really thought twice about it, coming from someone who has lived in New York her whole life! I simply took the required eye exam (just looking into a machine and reading the letters) and passed. I never mentioned it. It was never asked.

HOWEVER, the last time I renewed my license, they gave a new eye exam. They asked me to cover each eye separately and read the eye chart. I had to explain that I couldn't do that, and then they said, "We can't renew your license. .". I ended up going to a different Department of Motor Vehicles to renew it, and they had the old eye exam there.

I am extra careful with my driving. I turn my head a lot to accommodate for the loss of vision in one eye. I don't, however, drive on major highways here (we have lots of traffic), as I'm not comfortable.

Anyway, my advice is to keep on trying to get that license. Our eyesight is limited, but we can still see. Would they discriminate against someone with any other disability there?? You can pass an eye exam and you can see, so I don't see why they'd be hesitant in giving you your license.

Good luck and let us know how you do!!

~Chris~

---------------

---------------

Just talking about it. .

Zhu

Subject: Just talking about it.

Hi there, First of all, I'm not a native English speaker, so I apologize for any mistake or inappropriate thing! I'm a student. a one good working eye one! I was born like that, used to see through the "good one". So my left eye is basically useless (I can see light) but still there. I had some surgery on my bad eye when I was really young, but I wouldn't be able to explain what was suppose to be done anyway. The fact is, surgery went wrong, I had asthma and was allergic to the anesthetic - but nobody knew at the time. So the anesthetic had no effect on me, and I woke up in the middle of the surgery! No very pleasant for a 3 years old. And the surgeons put me back to sleep, which I've done good since I went in coma for few days. And my eye got worse instead. Later, the hospital denied everything thing. Anyway, I'm glad internet exists. As my eye looks "normal", I never really talked about it to anyone. I guess I should have. Talking is sometimes a good therapy. The trigger in my case was my driving license. I'm French, and went through graduate driving at the age of 16. I had no problem to drive, like most of you as well I guess, human body having this great ability to adapt to pretty much everything.

Anyway, the day I had to take my "real" license test, the instructor noticed I turned my head a lot to see right. When he asked the reason, I simply replied that I had one good eye.

Well, I shouldn't have. Guess what? I didn't pass. A few months later, back to the test (different school, different instructor). I had a letter from my doctor, and one eye people are still able to drive! Trust me, I drove alright. But didn't pass. When I asked why, the answer was "look at you, you should know!". I went traveling after that, New Zealand and OZ where I bought a car with a friend. He was supposed to be the driver. I must admit I also drove. Believe me, I would never harm anyone, and I don't specially like to question authority, but I had great time driving in the outback and on remote road. The fact is, one of those day, I will have to take the test again. I need to be able to drive legally - for a job, for fun and to feel good about myself as well. I might try to take the test abroad - enough bad experiences in France. But now, I'm scared. I doubt of myself. Anyway, I might be just a little thing, and god I know some of you here are facing more difficulties. I'm not blind and I've lived well all my life like that, but I feel the need to talk.

I used to joke about my eye (and my right eye isn't that great anyway), but people are either to shy to laugh, or to ignorant about different condition to understand. I sometime have to say I can't see some things, like 3D movies for example. No big deal. Well, last time I mentioned that to friends, it was like I said I suddenly went blind! Hello, I'm still the same! Anyway, thanks for those who will read my terrible English, good luck to anybody facing life challenge! BTW, I saw Kill Bill 2 and saw no offense. .

---------------

Soon

Hi, Zhu

it seems that we are facing the same problem. except that in my country, driving with monocular vision is not allowed. Please read the messages that I had posted here in the past months(don't want to be repetitious in case some of them here are sick of the same old discussion). Please pursue what you deem fit. By the way I feel that this is a great website.

Regards soon.

---------------

tanunson628

Subject: one eyed also.

Hi Zhu, I was born clinically blind in my left eye also. I was born with a childhood cataract in my eye called "Posterior Lenticonus," which basically means my left eye lens in shaped abnormal, and I have a small cataract in that eye. Doctors discovered it when I was 3 years old. Surgery was risky, so my parents decided not to operate. I still have some vision in the eye, but I can't read or drive with it at all. I am 24 years old now, and my family and I live in the USA. I got my license at 16, but it was hard describing my situation to the driving examiner. I'm lucky to live in the USA because the US gives people with monocular vision their license usually. Having one eye can be frustrating. I'm lucky to see what I can with my left eye, but wish my vision was better in it. I know how you feel. What condition did you have to cause you to have surgery as a child? Take care.

---------------

zhu

Subject: Thanks for reading me

I just read your previous posts Soon, and I'm surprise that you're not allowed to drive in Singapore. Sounds stupid. Since you are perfectly able to see with one good eye! I totally understand how you feel. I think I'm going to solve my problem by trying to take the test abroad, then I might be able to get an international driving license then. okay, it sounds a bit extreme but hey, I want it! What are you thinking to do about it? In France it's allowed by law, but you have to face the judgment of your driving instructor, as I unfortunately learned. Taking a driving license in France is getting more and more expensive (about 700 - 800 US$!) and more and more difficult anyway. Hence my problem. In the good old days (that I never knew, being 21!), it was much easier, but the government basically decide to reduce the ratio of road accidents, and now about 40% of people actually pass the test. In my own humble point of view, fighting drugs and alcohol while driving rather than making elderly and "disabled" people feel bad about themselves would be more efficient but. And second poster, I'm really happy for you that you actually made it to get a driving license. Living in France without a car is a pain, but in the US I guess it's even worse, you guys really have this car culture. By the way, I do not know exactly why is my left eye blind. It seems to be a family thing, since my mother also have a weaker eye. It seems I also had a mini hemorrhage (it that the way it spelled???!) later, which prob. didn't help. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences, it doesn't solve the problem, but it makes it easier to deal with.

---------------

Chris

Zhu,

Welcome to the board! My BIL came from France. He still goes back to visit.

I live in the U.S., and lost my eye 30 years ago. I *usually* had no problem getting my license or even getting it renewed until this last time (last year). For SOME reason, the motor vehicle department gave me a very hard time about reading the eye test (they make you look into a machine). I told her that my vision is 20-20 WITH my glasses on. She denied it. I took my papers and the next day went to another division of motor vehicle, and they had me read a chart instead. I passed. It was the first time I was scared that I might not get my license!!

Anyway, I feel for you. We wouldn't ask for a license without being certain that we're able to see well enough not to harm ourselves or anyone else. *I* limit myself by not driving on really busy highways, and I don't like driving in the dark if it's far away, but other than that, I drive all over the place.

Good luck and keep on trying to pursue getting a license!! How could some states and countries deny US, but they allow very elderly people the honor of driving?? Beats me!!

~Chris~

---------------

Hi guys, I took driver education many years ago and my instructor had one eye. I was totally wall-eyed at that time, my left eye turned up and out so the damaged vision in that eye wouldn't confuse my good eye. I finally got up the nerve to ask the instructor if there were any special problems or issues for one-eyed drivers and, misunderstanding me, he told me it wasn't any of my business! I got my license with no problem.

Two years ago I took the Florida test and they used a viewing machine to test vision. I saw two lines of letters and read what I saw, then stopped. They said, "What's the other line?" I told them I didn't see any other line, probably because I was blind in one eye. They said they didn't know what to do in that case. I reminded them I already had a valid driver's license from another state, so they shrugged and gave me a Florida license. It was pretty funny, actually.

sleepy

---------------

Zhu

So it seems that most of you guys do have a driving license. Have any of you feel unable to drive (not talking about drunk driving but the one eye problem!)? When I used to drive, I sometimes found it hard to park (parallel parking), but it could be me as well! I wish the law were more understanding about one eyed drivers. I mean, give me restrictions if you want, no driving at night on a freeway I can make it (what on earth would a do in the middle of the night on a freeway anyway!), but I want to be able to drive. Not much I can do about it though, so I'm going to try to take my driver license abroad. Do you know if this is possible, not being a permanent resident? I'm talking for north America. I know a driver license is a piece of ID, but I'm also pretty sure immigrants are allowed to drive. I have a few other questions about different subjects, so I'm going to start a new thread. Follow me if you wish!

---------------

Soon

hi Zhu.

ummm. .I don't feel that it is exaggerating at all for you to go for international license. it did cross my mind to do likewise but just couldn't work.

after so many failed attempts. I must admit that I am run out of ideas. but I do have a last alternative and that's to leave for another country(that sounds exaggerating huh?). .preferably Australia where I had spent my 3 wonderful years.

please keep us updated on your challenge.

regards.

---------------

Chris

Zhu,

I think that it would be limiting for Motor Vehicle to put restrictions on our driving because we're monocular. *I* for example put limitations on MYSELF. I know what I'm comfortable with, and only lately have I been pushing myself and convincing myself that I could do more. I'd never put myself, my children or anyone else on the road in danger! I'm fully confident that I could drive as well as the next person (probably better, as here in New York we tend to have aggressive, crazy drivers! LOL).

Anyway, we all have different comfort levels, and driving is one of them. There are MANY people whom are handicapped who are driving, so I don't see why they'd limit our ability to get a license.

Good luck with your search to get one! Let us know how you do! Don't give up until you get one!!

~Chris~

---------------

Zhu

Well, when I talked about restrictions, it's because I know it exists in some countries. Yes, it's unfair, but for now all that I want is a driver license, so it's not a big deal to me. I'm just trying to prove that I'm able to drive, so I take it one step at the time! Soon, I'm going to do some researches on international driver license etc. I sure tell you if I find something interesting. I know Australia as well, and I have this weird theory that in countries where driving is almost compulsory (i.e. USA, Canada, OZ. .) because of the distance, driver license tend to be easier to get. Or at least, they think it twice before denying one to someone. Could be a stupid theory but. I keep you updated with that. Thanks all for your support!

---------------

sleepy

In Maryland a person with one eye can drive but the law states that a person must not drive for one year after losing vision in one eye. That seems fair to me because it does take some time to get used to the loss of depth perception.

I try to arrange my schedule so I don't need to drive at night. If that's not possible I try to find someone else to drive and my husband is great about taking me places (when he is not working out-of-state.) If I have to drive at night, I do it, but I don't like it. If it is raining and dark out, I stay put. Otherwise, I drive cautiously. Rush hour driving around Baltimore/DC is bad, people cut you off all the time. I am extra careful, just one of the things we all need to do to take care of ourselves.

I hope you find a way to get your license.

best, sleepy

---------------

anna

Salut Zhu, it's Anna here. I am Polish but live in Australia for the last 3,5 years. I was trying to get my drivers license in Poland but finally got it in Australia. I've passed my test and got my probationary drivers license. I did not have any problems. The only issue for me is to drive during night time. I do not know how about you guys but I do not fee comfortable. And of course I have to turn my neck much more when I want to have a look what is going on my right side . but apart from that everything is fine. well maybe except that my sense of directions is pathetic but hey. no one is perfect. A bientot. Anna

---------------

zhu

Hi Anna, I would be curious to know how you got your license in OZ. I did some research and it seems like in most countries, from a legal point of view, you have to be a permanent resident (at least) to get a license. Since it's an official piece of ID I can understand. But how do immigrants do? Or students, like you? Congratulation on your driving license anyway. and yes, lack of orientation is a think that even extremely good eyes wouldn't solve! (at least for me!! )

---------------

---------------

Driving?

Kevster

Subject: Driving?

Well I may have mentioned before I lost my left eye 2 months after passing my driving test here in the UK. But like most of you I adapted. since then I have drove for a living I have drove 7.5 ton wagons ,vans, long cars short cars. I now drive fork lift truck at work. (and I would challenge anyone to say I cant drive as good as them with 2 eyes) I love multi story car parks. I had a bad smash last year into a wall at night but that could happen to anyone I skidded on cow shit!

Keep driving !

Kevster

---------------

chil

Subject: driving

Kevster, don't you find your depth perception a bit dodgy? I lost my eye before I was old enough to drive so I can't compare and you might say it was because I am a woman driver, but there's some things, like parallel parking, where I seem to have to try much harder than two eyed people.

Chil

---------------

Kevster

Subject: depends which eye!

Na I can parallel park quite easy its just a case of using your wing mirrors, I never used them before but they are essential now! see you

---------------

irishangel

Kevster, I noticed you said you drove 7.5 ton wagons after losing your eye. When did you do your driving test? I have been told that I will be ineligible for parts C1&D1 on my license (since all post 1998 licenses don't have those parts automatically) and so I cannot join any UK ambulance service (apart from the West Midlands though) because C1&D1 are a must before employment. This was a major blow because being a paramedic was all I wanted to do and now I cant. Anyone I have spoken to says that's its the UK's law and they're final, so even though those with pre-1998 licenses who have one eye are allowed to drive small trucks and minibuses those of us who came after aren't. Personally I feel its discrimination but the powers that be don't see it that way nor do they seem to care! Does anyone else know of laws in the US or Canada or Anywhere where those with one eye are prevented from driving small trucks and vehicles which can carry 9-16 passengers? Anyway, The Republic of Ireland (just down the road lol) DOES allow those with one eye to apply for C1&D1 entitlement and so that's where I am headed, first to study nursing and then to hop aboard an ambulance!

---------------

chil

Hi Irish Angel, I think you're right about UK licenses although I haven't looked into it closely having no ambition to drive anything bigger than a Ford Mondeo. If you can do what you want in the RoI though, that's great. It does sound silly that you're considered unsafe on one side of the border and safe on the other. I bet the Americans have the same sort of thing going on over state boundaries.

On a different subject, what do you think of the smoking ban? I was in Ireland at Easter and thought it was great in the pubs and the fact that your clothes didn't smell the next day.

Chil

---------------

irishangel

Subject: smoking Ban

yeah I'm the same, I think its cracking that there's no smoke, as personally I HATE smoking! However the legislation doesn't occur here in the north as the UK still has jurisdiction, so pub goers are still allowed to smoke at will here!

---------------

---------------

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]