Login | Register

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Site Admin

hi.
i lost sight in my left eye in a motorcycle accident a year ago.

im hoping to get back on a bike this summer. (i know, ive already had the lectures) i was wondering if there is/was anyone on the sight that rides with only one eye. there are no liscense restrictions for it here in canada, and was wondering how others ride with one eye. if it is a lot different or no.

thanks for the help/

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Depth perception problems and balance will probably be your issue.

It's hard enough being seen on the road on a bike, but when you have a blind spot as well...

I'm not sure of the adjustments for people with visual impairment on motorcycles, but in cars you can get an extended mirror, adjust the rearview mirror angles and even get one of those sensors so you don't ram into cars while parking, lol.

I think if you're in good physical health and can handle yourself well on a bike, you can go for it. I'm not recommending it however because with limited vision, lack of perception and altered balance, it's not exactly wise. However, I admire your courage for getting back on at all.

Top Top

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:41 pm

I found it difficult but then I'm a bit of a wuss and was happy to take to the bus instead. I lost my right eye and as we drive on the left, I wanted to look over my right shoulder all the time, and couldn't. That was the worst of it for me. I didn't have the staying power and sold my bike. :( I'm sure you'll do better.

Top Top

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:57 am

rukus wrote:
hi.
i lost sight in my left eye in a motorcycle accident a year ago.

im hoping to get back on a bike this summer. (i know, ive already had the lectures) i was wondering if there is/was anyone on the sight that rides with only one eye. there are no liscense restrictions for it here in canada, and was wondering how others ride with one eye. if it is a lot different or no.

thanks for the help/

I've been riding for about 8 months. I use the little spot mirrors on my rear view mirrors. I check my mirrors often, and ride defensively. I think never remembering having site in my left eye, because I was so young when it was removed, might have something to do with me not having any real fear, other than the cagers driving like idiots...

Top Top

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:51 am

I'm new here but lost vision in my left eye @ 6 got my 1st prostetic @ 33 and have been riding motorcycles since I was 10. I started riding street bikes in my early 20's and still ride today @ 37. I'm not sure what the balance issue would be but maybe because I lost my eye early I don't remeber it. Is this actualy an issue for those who have recenly lost there vision? I do agree that a small spot mirror on the left mirror helps with the blind spot a lot. i also stretch my neck real good before I ride (it would help if we all had necks like owls). Being blind in my left eye I also tend to stay in the far left lane on the freeway when possible as it keeps the idiots where I can see them easier. Follow Joeys advice and ride more defensively. I also participate in scuba diving and have been sky diving with no issues so most of it is in your personality to begin with the rest is how you personally feel about the loss. Good luck however you decide, Phil

Top Top

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 am

i'd

love to go sky diving but i read somewhere there is a risk of retinal detachment of anybody's eye, and we only have 1 good eye to lose meaning none to spare.

Top Top

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:19 pm

Site Admin

Quote:
I'm more concerned about not being able to look over my right shoulder when changing lanes.

thats what i was concerned about

then i saw this
http://www.reevu.com/moto_product.asp
i wonder how it would work...

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top