Login | Register

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, I went to Austin, Texas, yesterday to get a second opinion on these spots on my conjuctiva that have been extremely irritated and painful for the past five months. A saw a Dr. John Shore who said he truly believes I've got slivers or shards of the coral implant trying to make their way out of the socket.

He said he has seen it before where little pieces of the coral break off and then try to work their way out and it causes severe pain. Basically, I'm going to have to have the implant removed and a dermafat graph performed. I think this is operation No. 22 but I've started to lose count (I'm not exaggerating).

I know a few people on here have had this procedure performed so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Top Top

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:36 pm

Malmal wrote:
Well, I went to Austin, Texas, yesterday to get a second opinion on these spots on my conjuctiva that have been extremely irritated and painful for the past five months. A saw a Dr. John Shore who said he truly believes I've got slivers or shards of the coral implant trying to make their way out of the socket.

He said he has seen it before where little pieces of the coral break off and then try to work their way out and it causes severe pain. Basically, I'm going to have to have the implant removed and a dermafat graph performed. I think this is operation No. 22 but I've started to lose count (I'm not exaggerating).

I know a few people on here have had this procedure performed so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Damn I'm sorry to hear this. I to am facing surgery because of my coral implant being exposed. I will find out the date of the procedure Monday. He said he might try a graft then implant removal if this doesn't work. Take care :(

Top Top

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:07 am

Site Admin

that sucks guys.
im hoping things are going to work out well.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:28 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Malmal; that sounds just too awful; it must be like having glass in your eye; I hope the op goes well and this will be your last op; cheers Vera
Ronnie; good luck to you too on Monday; thinking of u; cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Sorry to hear you need another operation. Hopefully this will be your last one.

Good luck!

Top Top

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:06 pm

Damn I'm sorry to hear this. I to am facing surgery because of my coral implant being exposed. I will find out the date of the procedure Monday. He said he might try a graft then implant removal if this doesn't work. Take care Sad

Ronnie,

Good luck on your surgery. Is your coral implant wrapped with sclera tissue? If so, I would say you have a good chance of the graft working. If not, it's a long shot.

When my implant became exposed about 12 years ago, my doctor tried two different surgeries using grafts and neither one worked. Of course, that was before I got the coral implant.

The sclera tissue allows the graft something to grow into. If its just straight coral exposed, that's a tougher deal. Good luck either way.

Malcolm

Top Top

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Malmal wrote:

Ronnie,

Good luck on your surgery. Is your coral implant wrapped with sclera tissue? If so, I would say you have a good chance of the graft working. If not, it's a long shot.

When my implant became exposed about 12 years ago, my doctor tried two different surgeries using grafts and neither one worked. Of course, that was before I got the coral implant.

The sclera tissue allows the graft something to grow into. If its just straight coral exposed, that's a tougher deal. Good luck either way.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm and I extend the same to you my friend. I think the answer to your question is yes that it still appears to be wrapped in sclera tissue with only a portion being exposed. Thanks for making me aware of this so when I meet with the surgeon and can discuss this with him. Sorry to hear your grafts weren't successful. I do wish you success in your next surgery and hope it will be your last. Take care.

Ronnie

Thanks Rukus and Vera and cheers to you Tina! :)

Top Top

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:54 am

The sclera usually gets absorbed and the rough implant causes the problems. Doing a graft with more sclera may or may not work. I hope you are one of the success stories. It's a simple enough operation to try though and worth a go.

Top Top

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 pm

Yikes Malmal, that sounds very painful. I'm glad someone could tell you what's happening. What would cause the implant to break down like that?

I hope things go smoothly for you and Ronnie - Amy

Top Top

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Best of luck to the both of you, I dread anything like this happening, I remember rejecting 3 or 4? Implants before the coral one took.

Good luck

Andy

Male
in the 25-32 bracket (Just) ;)
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW