Login | Register

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum, but have found comfort in knowing there are others out there who share the same problems. My daughter who is 5 had an enucleation for retinablastoma dec 04, all was going well until she had an infection in the socket causing some implant exposure and thinning. This was healing then, wham! 10 months later another infection caused the new tissue to break down again (rotten infections) We are hoping the area will heal again, but need to consider options, has anyone out there had surgery for exposure? We have the option of teflon patches, but they apparently fall off, donated scleral tissue or some surgery involving dissecting the inside of the eyelid muscle with its blood supply and grafting that on, but this could result in leaving a droopy lid and the muscle does not grow back- sounds painful too.
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice
much appreiciated

Top Top

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi,

Everybody is different but I had a scleral graft and it didn't work, it just disappeared. It's a simple op though with easy recovery so I'd say definitely worth trying. I've had a plastic implant removed because of exposure and am just about to have a coral one removed for the same reason. It's worth trying something to save having to replace it but I don't think I'd go as far as having that eyelid surgery that you speak of.

Ann

Top Top

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:11 pm

hi

Hi,
I am 13 years old and I had Retinoblastoma when I was 2 1/2 years old. I have had three prosthetics and should be getting a new one in a couple years.I do a lot even though I have prosthetic eye....I do sports,dance, and lots of other things. I'm sorry all those infections are happening to your daughter's eye, I don't think I had an experience like that before. If you have any questions just reply back, I can always ask my parents because they remember it more than me! Hope everything goes well.
Sincerely,
1eyedgal

Top Top

Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:38 am

thanks Ann
I hope your forthcoming op goes well, do you still have movement in your secondary implant?
do they know why you have exposure and why have you opted for coral, sorry about all the questions but searching for more info. I agree the lid surgery sounds a bit much particularly as Laura seems predisposed to infections, so I guess she could get another and loose the graft. Have you heard about lip tissue being used at Moorsfield with some sucess? where are you being treated?
Karen

Top Top

Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:42 am

1eyedougal
thanks for your reply, glad all is going well with you

Top Top

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Karen, I'm treated for the surgery and eye issues at Maidstone Hospital but go to Moorfields for their prosthetics service. I live in Canterbury.

The coral implant, or Medpor which is simulated coral, vascularises, meaning the blood vessels grow into it. It means the implant stays put whereas the plastic one I had moved over to one side. But this coral one I've got is now exposed. I've already had it covered once with sclera but it didnt work. So now it's going to be replaced with a dermafat graft taken from my hip. They've decided that I can't take any foreign bits and pieces, I seem to reject them, so using my own tissue is the solution. I do have some movement of the prosthesis and hope to retain that although that isn't certain. I'm not worried about that though. I have a horrible sunken eye with a deep sulcus (hollow) above it which I am hoping will look better after this op.

I have had a graft using my own lip tissue. It was to make a better furrow at the bottom for the prosthesis to sit in. That graft took well although my lip is still a bit of a mess years later. I have heard that they can use the tissue from behind the ear for patching. Far easier to heal than the lip. Anyway with a bit of luck, your daughter will heal up on her own. I never do that hence my ongoing problems.

Ann

Top Top

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm

Ann
thanks for your prompt reply!
out of interest how long did your donor scleral patch last before you re exposed?

Top Top

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:18 pm

It started thinning very soon after but only started causing real trouble after 4 years. The area of exposure is now about a centimeter square and the socket is constantly sore and red. It's taken me almost a year to get this close to getting it fixed because of a blood disorder that has to be stable before they can do it... so here's hoping.

Top Top

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Ann
I hope all goes well for you
thanks for your help
Karen

Top Top