Login | Register

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:47 am

I am considering have my eye removed due to it's deteriating state, just trying to face the inevetable.

I'm just asking if anyone has had a Peg installed in their coral implant to help with movement?

Has anyone had any problems with their good eye due to the complications to their damaged eye?

Thanks in advance

Immortal Tech

Top Top

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 am

You're thinking a bit far ahead. They don't do the peg until at least six months has passed and maybe longer. You might not want it done by then as you may find you have enough movement anyway. Many start thinking they will have the peg but don't bother when it comes to it.

Top Top

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:10 pm

A much safer alternative is the magnet, you should check it out if you are worried about infection

Top Top

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:32 pm

peg

I did a lot of research on the coral implant and peg prior to having too many problems with my socket to go ahead with it. My doctor helped me decide it was not a good option. According to him and backed by some recent reports, the peg leaves a small opening in the tissue and route for a superficial infection to become a deap serious one. Read the recent posts on infections, as they seem to be a growing problem with anopthalmic sockets. I have the older polymer implant wrapped in donor scleral tissue and movement is adequate. Beware the website which touts the coral (hydroxyappatite) implant as they are the manufactures and paint a very rosy picture of the results.

Top Top

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Evil Genius

I too am considering having an enucleatoin,,(been wrestling with the decision for a year now) ...

When I was talking to my doctors, I asked about the peg, from everyting I read it's probably not a good idea, the surgeon said that on top of the infection risks etc... what can also sometimes happen is that the peg moves the eye so far that the edges of the prosthetic can become visable..

Just my 0.02

Top Top

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 pm

My wife's surgeon steered her away from the peg a year ago and she is happy he did. She has pretty good movement toward the nose - looks perfect straight on, and limited looking away from the nose. Her biggest issue is her lid does not close over the eye so when she looks down her prosthestic eye looks more forward than down. The doctor has said he would consider a magnet, but I think she will just leave it alone as there has been zero problems in the year since the surgery.

I wish you the best in your decision.

Bob

Top Top

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:20 pm

I've never heard about the option of a magnet, does anyone in this form have a magnet installed? What is the movement like?

Immortal Tech

Top Top

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:23 pm

If I recall the magnet is pretty old technology. Like the peg they implant a magnet with the occular implant and then another one is affixed to the back of the prosthesis. When I first read about it I thought hmmmm - my luck I'd be at dinner and my spoon would go flying up and whack me in my fake eye. It would be interesting to hear is this is still in use and if any surgeons and occularists are still doing it.

Top Top

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 pm

I spoke to my surgeon about the magnet and he told me that it wasn't a good option because the magnet does corrode and would have to be replaced (I'm assuming several times throughout the lifetime of the eye). He also said that as the magnet begins to corrode it limits mobility. I haven't done much research concerning the "magnetic attraction" deal but what my doctor said seems to make sense.

Top Top

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 am

There is a new system out there now
http://www.prostheticeye.com/magnetic_attraction.html

Top Top

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:02 am

That's interesting. Wish my ophthalmologist had tried that. Technology always seems to be just ahead of me.

Top Top

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:32 am

kinerry wrote:

Wow, that is very interesting! And I just read some things that scared the crap outta me about ill-fitting eyes and what happens over a period of time.... eeesh, I really need to find an ocularist.

Top Top

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 pm

I wonder what it would take to add the system after the original surgery? Like all treatment, sounds like you need to be very careful in selection of the doctor as well as the ocularist to get the best result.

Top Top

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:10 pm

You might be able to do it I should think but it would mean inserting the titanium screw into the implant and stitching the conjunctiva up over it and hoping it heals properly.

Top Top

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:00 am

Hi amandab9
I have just had a new implant put in. My surgeon reccommended not to have the titaneum peg as it has more problems than you can poke a stick at :lol: . It apparently wears a hole in the prosthesis after a while as well as if it works too well it can if you look sideways see inside the socket etc.perhaps you can take time to think about this and make a careful decision before you go ahead.
I elected not to have the peg for these reasons.I am quite happy with my new implant and new eye, although there is not perfect movement which I did not expect anyway :) .
I understand how you as a female would like to look perfect :) but you are already perfect in your own way. keep courage, strength and love as your companions and you will travel your lifes journey with ease.
Barry :)

Top Top

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 am

[quote="Immortal Tech"]I am considering have my eye removed due to it's deteriating state, just trying to face the inevetable.
Hey Immortal Tech. :)

Sometimes the inevitable can be the best thing, My eye was so badly damaged that they removed it straight away.

I'm just asking if anyone has had a Peg installed in their coral implant to help with movement?
From my investigations the peg does help with movement however it does have its drawbacks as the other posts have explained, especially with movement exposing the socket as well as infections where the peg is drilled into the implant etc.
I wish you well with your decision.
Has anyone had any problems with their good eye due to the complications to their damaged eye?
I have never had any problems after 30 years with my good eye, however my doctors etc keep telling me that the good eye can sometimes go out in sympathy but after 30 years i am still waiting :)
Cheers
Barry

Top Top