Login | Register

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:23 pm

So finally, after 5 major reconstructive craniofacial surgeries, I go back to my plastic surgeon to get to the next step.

My last surgery was done by an oculo-plastic surgeon who took a graft from the roof of my mouth to elevate my right (prosthetic) eye more as it is unproportional to the left eye.

My eye has elevated a bit, minimally, as was expected. With my surgeries, the results are always minimal because there is so much you can do with scar tissue, making sure you don't go TOO far or just the risk of surgery for my good eye.

So my plastic surgeon told me that he can't do anything more for me.

Which ticked me off, as I need way more work done before I'm ever comfortable to go sans-shades.

I go back to my oculo-plastic surgeon and he suggested for the lack of symmetry in my eyes to change the implant size which might even out the appearance of my eyes. He's meeting with my plastic surgeon to discuss and I meet with them ina couple of weeks.

My question is this: I looked into coral eye implants, as I wanted to get one since I first heard about it but was constantly told that reconstruction was my main issue and that with the damage to my right eye it might not work.

Does anyone know of a test to be a candidate for the coral eye??? What are the factors?Risks?

Top Top

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Fairie16~~~I was going to get a corel implant but my Dr didnt recommend it, he said it breaks down too quickly, so I had a marble implant instead....But another lady on here had the corel implant and she has no problems...Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Kendra :)

Top Top

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:57 pm

I've got a coral eye implant now. I originally had just a "marble" implant but it came out. The good thing about coral implants (mine is wrapped in sclera) is that they don't become exposed nearly as much (i've read this in test studies). Your own eye tissue can actually grow into the coral and it basically becomes a "living" part of your body. They aren't 100 percent, but nothing is.

Top Top

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:24 am

This is interesting as it shows we are all different with the same issue :)
Thank goodness there are different implants out there.
Cheers
Barry :)

Top Top

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Sure is Interresting isnt it...I'm now a little concerned tho since I have the marble implant, I can only pray it works! from the post I've read. But like you said everyones different, and different implants work in many different ways....I hope mine works well for me!!!! :?

Top Top

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 pm

don't be concerned Kendra. Again, none of it is 100 percent. Marble worked great for me for about 8 years and then became exposed and had to be taken out. Coral was what my next doctor wanted to go with. I feel confident you will be fine with the marble.

Top Top

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:24 am

i'm just curious. What is the marble implant? I have never heard of that until i read kendra's post. I have the coral implant and that was the only kind that my doctor would use when it came to options for the implant. I had my enucleation 3 years ago in may. My doctor discharged me after my last checkup for 2 years because it looks so good. I am always looking to receive more information when it comes to this. I had no idea that implants even become exposed overtime. When i opted for an enucleation i though that that was it as far as eye surgeries went. Oh well, i guess only time will tell. But please, Im just interested in knowing about the marble implant. sounds interesting....

thanks,
Jodi

Top Top

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:05 am

I assumed it was just that one doctor's short hand term for a plastic implant. But I'm only guessing.

Top Top

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:51 pm

I think you are right Marmalade. There used to be different shape implants years ago. I had what is called an "Allen" implant (named after the inventor) It was cylindrical and round on one end, the other end was flat. It was the flat end that caused the problems as mine broke through causing this huge infection so the Doc said it will have to be removed. So no implant for 27 years. Now I have the "marble" cause that is what it looks like, wrapped in donor sclera etc. I hope this answers your questio.
Cheers
Barry :)

Top Top

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:34 pm

The trouble with having a coral implant is that if it does ever need removing it's a helluva job as it has to be cut out rather than just removed. Personally, I think the plastic one is the better option to try first.

Top Top

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for the reply guys :)

I think I'm going to go ahead with it though...I have an appointment with my surgeon at the end of the month and my surgery is scheduled for the 1st of June :) I'm excited!

How much does a coral implant cost?

Top Top

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Coral implant ? Never heard of .Ok maybe thats because I was never interested in knowing what kind of implants you can have .I actually never have known of my implant until my mom once told me bout it.That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Ehhh... i just got my card of my implant .Its an Hydroxyapatite Orbital Implant/ceramic does any of you Know something about that kind of implants ?

Top Top

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Aven, it's the same thing. Hydroxyapatite is made from coral. It's the medical term for it.

Top Top

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Ohh ok thx alot.

Top Top

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Site Admin

what are the names of your plastic surgeons Tri?
What hospital are you out of now?

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:47 am

Originally, I wanted most work done by my craniofacial plastic surgeon, Dr. Christopher Forest out of Sick Kids TO (woo, I still get to go there!) but he said he didn't want to do any more work on me because it might conflict with my last surgery with Dr. Diangeles (sp) at Mount Sinai... he specializes in opthomology.

So he will be doing my new implant this June as well, after comparing notes with Forest.

Top Top

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:23 pm

aven wrote:
Coral implant ? Never heard of .Ok maybe thats because I was never interested in knowing what kind of implants you can have .I actually never have known of my implant until my mom once told me bout it.That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Ehhh... i just got my card of my implant .Its an Hydroxyapatite Orbital Implant/ceramic does any of you Know something about that kind of implants ?

Hydroxyapetite most likely

I had it, and it's best for natural movement but highly infection prone

Top Top