Login | Register

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:41 pm

OK I'm just courios since I just had my Enucleation and had a Marble implant. How many have which implant? What one seems to be the best as far as working and holding up the best???? :? :?:

Top Top

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 pm

It seems to me from what my ophthalmologist said that the coral implants were thought to be wonderful when they first came out but now they've been out a while it's being found that they aren't so great. The main problem seems to be that they are very rough in texture which can cause the overlying conjunctiva to break down after some time. Of course when they did the first studies they only looked at the short term, but now the longer term results are being seen.

I don't think any of them are perfect which is why they are still experimenting with new ideas. Of course, some people have no problem at all which is great.

Should have said also that I've had both the plastic and the coral and neither worked for me.

Top Top

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:24 am

I have never heard anyone use the ternm "marble" for an implant before. What material is it? My wife's surgeon only uses the MedPor implant and stays away from Coral and the bio-eye for various reasons - mostly around infection issues.

So what is a "Marble?"

Thanks-
Bob

Top Top

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:58 am

From what I know "Marble" implant is just like what maralade was thinking....Its an "Acrylic" implant.. and I have it, I am going to do some further searching and see what I can find out about it and the history on it, I will come back here and hopefully be able to help answer your question, Mine too. I like knowing everything possible when I have any procedure and this is no exception. As soon as I know I will post. Even Email that gets sent to me as a forward, I never forward it when asking for help, prayers ect until I do my home work like the "Truth Or Fiction . com" site or look for to make sure. All I know right now is my Dr called it a Marble Implant he did tell me he grafted the Muscles and thats all I know about it. so searching here I come.....Kendra 8)

Top Top

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:16 am

I started with a hard plasic marble implant. After 11 years it started to work its way out, so it was replaced with a coral one. The marble was small (I was 6 when they put it in), so the prosthetic was pretty thick. That was my most comfortable and gunk free prosthetic I've had. The sea coral was a much larger implant, which lead to much thinner prosthetics. They haven't been as comfortable and seems to get dryer. I haven't had a problem with infection on either. I think the prosthetic discomfort was more the maker than the implant.

Top Top

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:53 pm

I have a coral implant and had to have surgery after 7 years as the coral, not sure why, but it tore the skin that covers my implant, the surgeon shaved the coral down to smooth it out and then put some sort of patch over the implant to stop it from tearing through, and apparenlty it is happening more often now. But the surgeon assured me that originally the coral would be better as the muscles and blood vessels attach themselves to the implant which gives better movement. I have one more surgery left, I need a lower lid tuck which I will be getting very soon. I do experience quite a bit of dryness and now I am not afraid to take the prosthetic out and clean it and I use Sil-Ophtho it is a silicone oil and works really well for me.

Top Top