Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:28 pm

---------------

---------------

hi!

it was so nice to discover this web site, I too have been able to adapt quite well to my one eye. I lost my left eye to a melanoma in the retina.

The prosthesis I now have sounds similar to yours although my implant is a bit different, it's made of coral. Coral is a porous material which the 6 eye muscles were able to attach to. it has been really fascinating to have this artificial eye fit right in place and move as well as my natural eye did people are completely amazed to learn that it's a prosthesis I also was free of any kind of infection, I took it easy after the surgery, got lots of rest ,ate well and ensured that my immune system was in good shape ,maybe that helped. I was able to go back to work and continue with the courses I was taking but I did feel a bit stressed out. the whole situation made me nervous, I would have greatly benefited from this kind of shared info that you have initiated. it's also nice to know that I can share my story with others who may benefit from hearing that this type of surgery is really not as bad as it may seem at first I work as a nurse and one area that I still find a bit difficult is working with small instruments particularly when drawing up medication with a syringe and needle. things like trying to get the needle fitted onto the syringe, what I do is use the side of my hand to steady my aim( as you would rest the side of the jug against the glass) I would like to be able to use my role as a health professional to help people who are facing this surgery, this website may be a place where I can get started with that idea.

Geraldine

---------------

---------------

I’m a 17 year old girl from India. I had my right eye removed 6 years ago (i.e., when I was 11).and in place of the removed one, the doctors fixed a glass eye, which was already made. now this glass eye doesn't match with the size of my eye socket. since then I’ve had this glass eye and haven't changed it even once.

I was really glad and happy to know that there were better alternatives for me like the bio eye from your website. I couldn't speak to anyone about this, and now after reading your website, its like an answer to my prayer.

now what I wanted to know was if there were any hospitals in India where I could get the BIO EYE. I am desperately in need of it. and I would be really thankful to you if you could email me the hospitals in India where I could get the bio eye, and also the cost of it.

thanking you,

Swathi.

---------------

---------------

Jay,

Great site! I lost my right eye in late 94 at the age of 28 as the result of a childhood accident. Its good to hear others perspective. I had the coral implant put in when I lost my eye, but I never had the stud installed for complete motility. I'm considering it now, but would like others experience before I do, did you have this done or do you know anyone who did?

Thanks,

Larry

---------------

---------------

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]