Login | Register

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm very much a newbie to all of this. On March 15th, I saw an Opthalmologist, thinking I had a cataract. I'd been experiencing problems for a few months, but had no idea how serious it was.

She said my retina had been detached by what she called a "growth or lesion", and arranged for me to be admitted as an in-patient to the National Eye and Ear Hospital the following Monday (March 20th).

It was confirmed that day that I had Choroidal Melanoma (which I had never heard of before). I saw a series of consultants at the hospital, all of whom agreed that it was beyond treatment, and I was enucleated a week ago last Friday.

I'm waiting on the histology results from the pathology lab, but so far, MRI scans and other tests are clear.

At present, the socket is still really bruised and there's a fair amount of mucal discharge which my wife is cleaning out a few times a day. I'm back in Dublin tomorrow week to meet my surgeon and also my ocularist to arrange a prosthesis.

Amazing how life suddenly changes, isn't it?.

I have a coral based implant with a plastic shell (conformer?)outside it. My question is this. My wife (who is a registered nurse) has been cleaning around the socket, but on the advice of the hospital, we've never taken the conformer out. I've noticed some posts here saying people are cleaning theirs regularly, so are there different types of conformer, or have I been given dodgy advice?.

One of the things mentioned at the hospital was if the conformer comes out, it's very difficult to get back inbut it seems many people here don't have that problem.

I'm interested in any comments/observations.

Top Top

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:53 pm

What you probably have is a temporary conformer to hold the shape of the socket until you can get a true prosthesis. If you will be getting a prosthesis in the next couple of months, there is probably no reason to take your conformer out until then.

Most of us clean our prosthesis for shine and comfort, and many of us go literally months without ever taking it out (until I got the SonicBrite cleaner, I never took mine out between semi-annual visits to my ocularist).

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:01 pm

edited

Last edited by Marmalade on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks Jay

That does make sense - I'm hoping to have a prosthesis fitted in May. To be honest, this worried me a lot more last week when there was a lot more discharge coming from the socket. It's reduced substantially over the past three days which is a lot more comfortable.

Top Top

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:10 pm

Don't worry about it -- just get some eye irrigant solution and squirt it up in there and you will be just fine.

Personally, I would NOT even think of taking my conformer out until I went to see the ocularist.

As a caution, do not let your ocularist make you a prosthesis until at least 10 weeks has gone by since your surgery, as that ensures that all swelling has stopped and most of your muscle atrophy is done. Even with that, you will need to be refitted and have your prosthesis slightly built up six months after being initially fitted, as your socket will continue to lose mass until that time.

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW