Login | Register

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi all, Hope you are all well and happy.
I am travelling 5 hours one way this week to see my retinal surgeon. In July I had a reaction to my ninth Kenalog injection for chronic CME in my right eye. My opthamologist doesn't want to give any more. I understand this. He suggested an evaluation for Ozurdex, which I believe is a different steroid formulation and lasts longer.
I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this drug.
My R eye vision continues to deteriorate slowly. I think my brain has adapted somewhat, but I need to rest both eyes in the afternoon (this is called a nap!). I have no pain, but discomfort waxes and wanes.
Thanks for any input. I will keep you posted. Mary Jo

Top Top

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 am

mary jo:
ozurdex contains dexamethasone which is a stronger steroid than kenalog (triamcinolone). unlike the kenalog injections that you are getting where you doctor injects the (liquid) drug into the vitreous gel of your eye, ozurdex is a biodegradable implant containing the dexamethasone which slowly releases the drug over a longer period of time. the implant dissolves into the vitreous for up to 6 months, reducing the need for multiple eye injections every month or so. the implant is also injected into the eye. good luck.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:54 am

Dr. Slonim,
Thank you for the helpful information/explanation of Ozurdex. I am hopeful that this will be prescribed for me and that it will help. I will give an update after my appointment. Thanks again, Mary Jo

Top Top

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:20 am

My appointment for Nov. 24 was cancelled due the Dr. needing to perform some emergency surgeries. I am now scheduled for Dec. 11. I will let you know how things turn out.

Top Top

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 am

Saw retinal surgeon last Monday. Scan showed that the macular edema is still significant. Dr. suggested a trial with Triesence, which I believe is a more pure drug (less additives/ preservatives) than Kenalog.
—-From eye Wiki : Triamcinolone acetonide (Kenalog) (Triesence/ Trivaris is alcohol-free preparation that is FDA approved for intraocular use)—-
Scheduled for first injection Jan. 30. He also said that the injections need to continue until there is NO SIGN of edema left.
Hoping for the best.
Happy and safe holidays to everyone!

Top Top