Login | Register

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:48 am

Just an announcement from a friendly neighborhood admin:

The site went down due to a server move that went awry. Webmaster John, worked tirelessly to bring it back. In this forum's case, the hosting company failed to restore the entire database. We were able to use a backup from weeks ago to fill in the blanks.

The good news is that everything you posted or PM'd is fully intact. Yipee! But here's some things that might seem weird for a while:

• Topics that were started in the last month had to be rebuilt, so they might look odd but work just fine.
  • If you made any changes to your user profile in the last month, they are lost to the void.
  • If anyone has been added or removed from usergroups in the last month, that will probably need to be done again.
  • If you added anyone to your friends or enemies list in the last month, that's gone too.
  • The part of the database which tells you which topics have new posts is now a month old, so you'll have to revisit anything you read in the last month.
  • The search feature needs rebuilding, since it's a month out of date. I'm putting that off for now.

Basically, anything that happened in the last month might be sketchy. Also, I registered here, brute-forced my activation since the email system is broken, and then brute-forced my promotion to admin.

That being said, if something else isn't working correctly, just post to this thread or PM me.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Pleased that we are back and while I have you here, please think about revamping our banner pictures. they are not relevant to the younger ones who visit. I help Eric admin the facebook page and suggest this page for privacy, BUT the feedback is "I would join, but it looks out of date to me". I really do not want to lose those who need help from LostEye.
Thank you for getting the site up and running again.
Maureen.

Top Top

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm

While I agree that the celebrities in the banner aren't recognizable to most anymore, it's only part of a larger problem.

The site's design is a bit dated overall and hasn't changed in what...seven or eight years?
In any event, my purview is mainly the forum software. There's going to be a major upgrade within the next few months and this forum is going to look less like 2012 and more like 2018. I'll try to retain as much of the color scheme as possible so the change won't feel as jarring.

Also, I'm not sure about legal ramifications of swapping celebrity images without express permission.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Yay up and running again...thought I did something wrong lol...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 am

Looking forward to the changes, I joined in 2008 and yes, we have the same "look" since that time!

Top Top

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Great news about a future update. Besides style, my #1 and only request is to simplify avatar and picture posting without going to a hosting site.
Thanks
Mike

Top Top

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm

That would be wonderful, Mike...like your ideas...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:15 pm

The ability to host your avatars on this server will depend on Jay's approval. I can write something up so he can make an informed decision.

The new version of the forum has a lot of features you guys probably aren't aware of. One of which is the integration with Gravatar, a free avatar hosting service. Unlike photobucket who encouraged hotlinking and then decided to make it a paid feature, Gravatar went from having some paid features to being completely free.

This is a big version jump, so you might want to check out the Launch Page and Features Page to get an idea of the improvements that will take place organically during the upgrade. A word of warning: both those pages are comparing themselves to phpbb 3.1, which is a version we'll be skipping right over, so there may be additional improvements not listed.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 am

Photos of different kinds of prostheses would suffice for the banner. A patch, an extenteration prosthetic and an ocular prosthetic.

Top Top

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 am

Moby wrote:
Photos of different kinds of prostheses would suffice for the banner. A patch, an extenteration prosthetic and an ocular prosthetic.

And they'd be more timeless, only needed to be updated when the tech changes. I'll see what I can do.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:08 am

I was going to email someone, but once again didn't save the moderators' emails!! Glad we're back up and running!!!

My Oculoplastic surgeon wants to join, and her progressive thinking and procedures should be admired. She is sharing our site with some patients who could benefit from having this as a support group.

F/56/Happily Married/enucleation 44 years ago- bb gun accident. Going to replace old implant due to severe changes in my socket. Hoping for the best, while thanking Dr. Slonim for his constant sage advice!

Top Top

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 am

webhick wrote:
Moby wrote:

And they'd be more timeless, only needed to be updated when the tech changes. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you

Top Top

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

We should have Fetty Wap in the header. (But please, keep Sammy.)

Top Top