Login | Register

Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am

Im interested in how you handel losing your eye. Obviously its very complicated, it is hard indeed, but since I lost my eye, I have to say it - I became very very depressed, and since I got out of depression I became anxious. Now that anxious abomination is slowly evaporating, but I think its generaly because I was meditating a lot and feeling stress free for a while. At first there were powerful anxiety attacks, but as I was mentaly recovering it begun to fade.
Is there anything I can start doing to heal myself completely? Maybe something you do to make things easy for you in hard times, and I think its a very important question for people like me that have gone through some stuff. I was, for example, listening to some encouraging songs of linking park and other genious music groups, I was trying to avoid as much as I could depressed and sad songs, I was going to a nature and hanging out more with my family. As I said, I was meditating and was occupied with school supplies, I have been eating a lot of vegetables.. and those are the things that helped me a lot to recovery mentaly, psychicaly and spiritualy. There is that guy - he is a little weird but he helps a lot with his talking, you can find him on the youtube, its Ralph, his channel is Infinite waters diving deep. He is funny and he always makes my day with his perceptive talking. He talks about a lot of interesting things and how to get out of depression, how to feel better, how to lose anxiety and so on... I think this comment will help someone who feels like me, and hope that somebody will have some edifying response. I wish you all health and happy days beacuse I know how you feel. I forgot to say that I was going to the gym for a while and that also helped me a lot, beacuse the body is subconscious mind. Dont forget that.

Top Top

Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello and welcome! Not knowing your story on how you lost your eye however you will find good support on this website! I lost my left eye due to glacoma and numerous operations over the past 19 years! I will say it has been very difficult! BUT, after my eviseration in May 2016 life has been great! I live a pretty normal life! I do everything as I did before (of course after the healing)! Also, what helped me is very good support from my family! They have always been there to support me! I can say I suffered more before eye removal! I also am a woman of faith and the Lord has given me peace to have my eye removed! I had a great surgeon and occularist! I think those things are key! I feel I am blessed to have one good eye with no problems! Life gives me lemons I make lemonade! On this website are great testimonies and you will learn a lot! May see others with your same situation! I love this group of folks! Where I live in this small town I felt so alone ( like I was the only one) until I found lost eye.com! So any question feel free to ask. This is a true website with caring and loving people! Good luck and I hope this helps! Keep us posted!! :)

Top Top

Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 pm

welcome to this wonderful Forum...Not sure if you got your prosthetic eye yet, but that will help you feel better, too and don't forget to get polycarbonate lenses in your frames to protect your good eye...I say do what you did before you lost your eye...little by little you will start feeling better...and guess what? We have no choice but to deal with our loss, I promise you it gets better...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Welcome to the group. You didn't say how long ago you lost the eye. Your reaction to the loss, if it was sudden, is typical to most that has suffered the loss. Depression came first for me, then the anxiety was next. Besides the meds that relieve most of that, only time will heal the soul. As you adapt to monocular, your spirit will return. Different people use different things to return to normal. A spiritual person uses their faith, some uses yoga and meditation, and others dive into their hobby or their work, just to retrain the mind to think of better things than the loss that was suffered. It just takes time.

Top Top

Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am

Thank you for your responds very much. I lost an eye couple of months ago by knife accident. And I have accepted some things that changed. I really think that everything stays the same before and after the loss, the only thing that matters is our reaction after something happens to us. The life changes as much as we let it change. But hey, that is only my opinion. Mike said some good things about hobbies and stuff we do with passion, and faith. I was couple of month in depression, losing my time and wasting my life, now fighting with anxious, and I wish I had read something similar to this in that time. But Im happy now and things are fortunately settling down.

Top Top

Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 am

Mike is one of the best at the Forum and you will also hear from others who know what the deal is and how to start getting back to living as before just with some differences...we are all here in the same boat with different reasons for getting here, but life goes on and you will learn how to handle your situation...Lil

Top Top

Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 am

I can only relate my experiences with what happened to me. I feel that if a person goes through the same or somewhat similar experience, and has the will to get past it, then all the related experiences will be similar. Faith, support, and staying busy with something enjoyable goes a long way into recovery.

I'm going to digress a bit.

I started building an airplane. That takes total involvement and leaves no room for self pity.
I had a lot more here, but I edited it out. No need to get into the how to...

Top Top

Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 am

wow Mike! Lil

Top Top

Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Nor long after I lost my right eye to an infection and was trying to learn to cope with a monocular world, I made a list of things I would try to do, things I had not thought twice about doing when I had both eyes.

I started off small: walk around the block unaided without falling down. Fix a bowl of cereal without all of the Cheerios ending up on the counter. Pour a cup of coffee. Scramble an egg. You get the idea.

Then I walked to the post office and mailed a letter. On the way home I stopped at the grocery to but some flowers for my wife, who had guided me through three months of misery fighting the eye infection.

I returned phone calls from clients who had called while I was in the hospital (I'm a lawyer). I made a pot of meatballs. My wife and I went out to dinner.. I drove around the block, and so on. Life slowly returned to normal, or about as normal as it can get for someone with one eye.

About two months after my enucleation I was fitted for a prosthesis by an ocularist who turned out to be an artist at what he did. I had been starting to feel normal and now looked normal.

About a year after I lost my eye my daughter announced that she was pregnant. I single-handedly converted part of my garage into a nursery for little Drew. There were lots of bruised fingers from swinging a hammer without depth perception, but it got done.

The point of all this is to focus on what you can do and not worry too much about what you think you can't do. You are only two months into what will be a journey. One step at a time.

In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king.
Erasmus

Top Top

Sun May 21, 2017 5:28 pm

amen to that, jg...all that you say, things get a little better every day...I'm into my third year and learned to do things differently...if need be...and sometimes surprise myself, too...it takes time but it does happen...Lil

Top Top

Sun May 21, 2017 8:33 pm

This is all educational and cool, but I dont even know how to talk to strangers. I dont know will I choose to wear an eye patch permanently or will I wear a prosthetic.. but honestly, I am a little bit afraid of eye contact. Its unbelievable. Im a very shy person and its hard for me to talk about personal things, and Im sure that there will always be curious people that will ask what happend, and "nasty people" with their savage attitude. I have met some friends while I was wearing an eye patch but that was our crazy youngish world and only making fun of everything - but how am I going to seduce an adult woman, woman who needs a man that have charm and know how to talk. Thats what I worry about. Im very unsure in conservations and that is one more thing womens do not like. There have been girls that liked me but they liked the exterior, not having much talking and meeting between each other.

Top Top

Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 pm

get a prosthetic I think it will look great and also cool tinted glasses, which you need polycarbonate lenses cause like I said u need to protect your good eye...you will be fine...would you walk away from someone with one seeing eye? I think not and if a woman would do that to you, then she is not for you. ..Don't let this define you as a person you are more than an eye...we all learn to cope and you will, too...now get out there and PARTY...Lil

Top Top

Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am

Tnx, that is true.

Top Top

Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am

yes for sure it is so true...enjoy...keep in touch and let us know how you are doing...Lil

Top Top

Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Welcome to the board. I wish we had this board back in 1974 when I lost my eye. It was a whirlwind of surgeries and recoveries and then a pretty easy transition for me. I adjusted quickly to being monocular and didn't suffer any anxiety. I think that back then I just looked at it one step at a time. It made me tough. VERY tough.

If you are having any anxiety, speak with a professional. Sometimes it's a hard thing to adjust to just without the physical pain. Lots of people here have gone through it and still go through it. READ, READ, READ here and talk to people here too.

I wish you the best!

F/56/Happily Married/enucleation 44 years ago- bb gun accident. Going to replace old implant due to severe changes in my socket. Hoping for the best, while thanking Dr. Slonim for his constant sage advice!

Top Top

Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Mike and Lil are the best!! Great advice! With that being said I think once you get your prosthesis I think you are going to feel a lot better! Things get better with time! We just have to go on with our lives! The hardest part is getting through surgery and healing! I've had my prosthesis for almost a year and have been very happy with mine! I know this may sound crazy but the artificial eye give a illusion of a real eye! All my family and friends tell me they can't tell any difference! Most importantly I feel complete! Not ashamed, not afraid, not embarrassed! As far as girlfriends if they really care they will see beyond your situation! If they can't do that they are not worth your time! Your eye does not define who you are! Good luck!

Top Top

Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Darcy u know what u r talking about...I remember when you first got your prosthetic eye...you are so different now, time does change us, we really have no choice, we just have to deal and learn to cope now...Lil

Top Top

Thu May 25, 2017 3:19 am

You are exactly right Lil! I remember when I first found this website! I was lost so to speak! Everyone here has helped me through this! After my eviseration I feel 100% better! So now I'm enjoying the happier days! Wasn't always like that! I just hope I can give someone that comfort as well! Thank you all that participate on this blog! Love you all!! P.S. I'm trying to load a pic to my profile. Maybe I'll get lucky with that one day!! :)

Top Top

Thu May 25, 2017 9:56 am

so happy for you Darcy, uploading a picture that would be great...lol I had no clue so finally my son helped me....he told me photo bucket is so obsolete, but he figured it out for me...you sound great...Lil

Top Top

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 am

I cant actually help myself. I am angry and anxious 24/7, thinking of suicide every day, every second. I though I was strong but Im faced with the fact that Im not strong enough alone on this journey. I want to live life like the way I want but many things have just been taken from me, its not only losing an eye, it a lot more from that. I want to die while Im still young so someone will remember me as a beautifull and unhappy young boy, or I could just move on and suffer a whole life, worst than a criminal or a pscihopath.. I think both of them dont suffer the way I do. I havent done anything bad to anyone but I cant handle this anymore. I need some help.. I think I need some medicine or sth

Top Top