Login | Register

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:25 pm

A little background.... I had an old garden that was grown up with weeds that I was putting to rest. I rented a roto-tiller and tilled it up. I then wheelborrowed several loads from of dirt from there to a couple low spots in the yard and then raked out the garden and spread grass seed. We have lots of rocks right under the soil up here. I must have brought one or more up with the tilling.

The story.... Saturday I had to mow the lawn on my riding mower. I wear my normal safety glasses all the time and when mowing I use the big wraparound clear plastic one right on top of my regular ones. Unsightly and uncomfortable, but effective. As I was cutting grass around the perimeter of the old garden that was now just dirt, dust was flying and I heard a "whooomp" immediately followed by a whack on the corner of my eyebrow over my good eye. The plastic pair of glasses flew off, and the normal pair nose piece was driven into the side of my nostril. They were okay and I was okay also. There was this "What if?" moment after my heart rate slowed down.

How do it happen.... on the grass discharge side of the mower, there is a tapered plastic compost bin that as about 3 feet away. The mower picked up a 1 1/2" stone and ejected it against the bin and it came back at me like it was shot out of a cannon.

Moral of this story..... Where safety glasses all the time and double up when working with anything mechanical. If I hadn't, my wife would be writing this post, and it would have been the last one.

Scary...you're damn right it is.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 am

Thank you for the reminder! I have had two scary things happen with items hitting my good eye, or would have hit it if I hadn't had glasses on. I have had one day where a zipper got stuck and I yanked and it flew up and hit me right in the eye (I had taken my glasses off to pull the item over my head). I don't think I have ever been so scared as I waited to see if I needed to go to the emergency room.

So glad you are okay.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am

That was a very close call Mike.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:28 am

Moby wrote:
That was a very close call Mike.

Yes it was. If I had been so vigilant before, I'd still have two eyes and never had found this place. I guess there is a reason behind everything.

Top Top

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm

wow! That story got my heart racing! I'm so glad you're ok.

Top Top

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 am

Hi Mike:

Thank goodness you had your safety glasses on!!! It is a great reminder!! I need to get better at it. My excuse and it is a poor one, is that glasses limit my field of vision even more. It is better than zero field of vision.

Top Top

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 am

Mike, how scary for you...OUCHY!!

Chemgal...wow...freaky...!!!

Great reminder from you both to be careful and take precautions at all times...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Good post Mike for those of us unfortunate to lose an eye to freak accidents and a reminder
that safety glasses are now of paramount importance.By the way,how bigs your garden that
You need a ride on mower :lol:

Top Top

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Ha. The garden was only 15x15, but the surrounding yard that I was cutting is 1/3acre. Small by my standards. I grew up on a pretty big farm.

Top Top

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 am

Glad it was a story that had a good ending!

Your good work here isn't done yet Mike, and we are glad to have you.

Luciano

Detached retina left eye, prosthesis in left eye 2010; very low vision in right eye; macular degeneration, drops for galucoma, two laser treatments for tears.

Male, Born: 1954

Top Top

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:42 am

I was sighting in a .22 caliber rifle a couple of months ago when the shot made a really strange sound. I'm 49 and guns have been a regular part of my life since I was probably 8. I have never experienced or seen this happen before (although you always hear the unconfirmed stories). The cartridge was only partially fed into the chamber when the firing pin struck it. The resulting blowback of powder went directly into my bad eye. I don't think it would have blinded a good eye, but it could have sent lead and brass into the eye instead of powder. I confess that I was not wearing my glasses since they make it difficult to aim through a scope. I know, I know... I won't take that shortcut again! I'm glad we both had a happy ending!

Top Top

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Unfortunately, it takes an accident or a really close call to make one "see the light". I've handled guns and heavy and light machinery all my life with and mostly without glasses and never been close to a near miss. At my workplace (oil refinery) it was mandatory, but at the time I had to wear glasses to see, so it wasn't a big deal. Since I retired and cataracts came along and multifocal implants were inserted, I threw away all glasses for 2 years and then only had to get minor prescription for reading only.
So, I could blame it on the cataracts, but in hindsight (isn't that a great word :bigp: ) I had a routine for 25 years that I changed after the cataract removals. So it is all on me.

Top Top