Login | Register

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 pm

my mom had cataract surgery 25 years ago and her retina detached and completely blind in her left eye, now she is 88 years old, with dementia, and her right eye has a cataract and can hardly see...I would be the one making the decision for her to have cataract surgery now in her right eye and I'm scared she will be totally blind if something goes wrong, again don't know what to do? Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Lil. That's a thought decision when you are not the patient. Cataract surgery has come a long way in 25 years. If your mom can hardly see now, it will advance to a degree of no functional vision as it progresses and then would be at a stage to where it became inoperable.
Like I said... hard choice.
My story. My grandfather had cataracts in both eyes the days before laser surgery. The surgeon was doing the worse eye first, and the retina detached while on the table. He became blind immediately in that eye and refused to have the other eye worked on. He lived another 20 or so years, the last 10 functionally blind. He had all his wits about him and lived with my mother until he died. He told me that he regretted not looking into the "new laser" surgery available before it became too late.
Good luck.

Top Top

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:10 pm

wow Mike thank you for sharing about your grandfather...My mom lives in an assistant senior living place...yes from what you said, sounds like cataract surgery has come a long way...and with my mom they would probably have to patch that eye after so she wouldn't be able to touch the eye and then she wouldn't be able to see for a couple of hours?? You made me feel better and I'm thinking of going for a second consultation...Lil

Top Top

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 pm

As Mike said, it is now a very routine procedure. The guy who did mine sets aside Thursday to do cataract surgeries, almost an assembly line process. She will be sedated: not asleep but she probably won't even remember the surgery.

Your mom will wear a protective patch for 24 hours or so. It is transparent, so she will have some vision, and her visual improvement will be almost immediate.

In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king.
Erasmus

Top Top

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 pm

thank u jg also for the info...I didn't know that about the see through patch, that would help since I told you she is totally blind in her other eye...one more question...she has dementia like I said, she doesn't understand...is it dangerous to rub that eye??? thank you and how often would she need to have drops put in her eye...Lil

Top Top

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 pm

The patch is there for protection from anything, but rubbing is probably on top of the "don't" list. I never paid attention to the vision thru the all the little holes, as my other eye was fine, so I wasn't in the darkness. The shield has to be worn at night for several nights so there is no rubbing.

Top Top

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:54 am

thanks Mike for more info...not sure how this would work out for my mom...cause she lives in an assistant senior living facility and they aren't required to take care of cataract people who have the surgery...probably would have to have my mom stay in the hospital for a couple of days after the surgery? I will have to ask. ..Lil

Top Top

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm

That would be a hard decision! 88 years young! How is her quality of life and would she benefit from the surgery? A catch 22! Otherwise, for her vision might be a good thing to have done! Good luck lil! Keep us posted!

Top Top

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Darcy, I'm thinking it's a no now...My mom has dementia and I think it could take a toll on her...She fell at rehab after being sent there for falling at the senior assistant living where she lives...So she got out of bed and I think walked on the mat they put by her bed and fell agsinst the a/c slit her far head and her eye, all around it...black/blue and stitches on her far head which she yanked out all by herself...what a mess so I'm saying forget cateract surgery right now...Lil

Top Top

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 am

Lil I am inclined to agree with you. If she pulled out her own stitches, no telling what she might do with a patch on. Best wishes.

Top Top

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 pm

so true Moby...thank you also for your input...I learned alot...from all the answers to my dilemma...xo Lil

Top Top

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Hey Lil, after reading again your post on your moms situation not sure if I would do cateract surgery either! Hopefully things will work out for your mom! Our parents mean so much to us! I think to with dementia and being 88 years young that would be hard for your mom to diet through! Good luck with your mom!

Top Top