Login | Register

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Holy Two Years Between Visits, Batman!!

Sorry it's been a while. Life got really hectic--in a good way, but still. It will be good to reconnect.

I know that around this place we always say we can do anything with one eye that anyone else can do with two--piloting, racing various things, etc.

Has anyone done tae kwon do/karate/etc as a monocular?

I'll be 40 in a little over a year, I'm fairly sedentary, 110 pound weakling, and have well controlled closed angle glaucoma in my good eye. I am also Type 1 Diabetic on an insulin pump.

I want to get stronger, maintain health with age, gain focus, and learn how to defend myself in a bad situation, all while hopefully not losing weight because I can't afford to.

I've put this question out among my diabetes community and I'll be talking to my doctor next week, but I wanted to ask monoculars for the same reason I've asked people who actually use pumps.

No depth perception, no peripheral on my otherwise dominant side, and of course the history of vitrectomy (on both sides) and glaucoma on my good side.

Is this doable, or am I being risky? (Please, don't freak out at me unless you have done it and therefore know firsthand that I'm being an idiot, I'm trying to get balanced information based on experience ;) )

If you don't learn to spin storm clouds until they're lined in silver, you'll drown in the rain.

Top Top

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Wow! Great to see you, Lisa. Any way that a person can improve ones self is great. If Tae Kwon Do is doable in your circumstances, then by all means go for it. You know where your limits are and protections you need to have in place for this discipline, so enjoy yourself and good luck with your goals.

Top Top

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 pm

hey pretty lady...YOU GO GIRL....welcome back...I know you can do anything you put your mind to...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello!,

Yes, I say go for it if you can! Just be careful! Good luck!

Top Top

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks all. I spoke to one of the Masters yesterday, and he said they don't allow blows to the head until black belt level, and they have head gear the students can use if it makes them feel better. He also mentioned one student that will only go *so far* with sparring. He said that limits how high she can go belt wise but I always figured that would be the case if that were to come up.

I talk to my doctor in Monday to get clearance on the diabetes angle, but at this point I'm really feeling like it can happen and getting excited. Thanks again!!

If you don't learn to spin storm clouds until they're lined in silver, you'll drown in the rain.

Top Top

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 pm

sounds like a plan....enjoy, have fun...Lil

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Top Top

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:03 am

Martial arts wife and mother here. Go into it thinking of martial arts as a lifestyle rather than as a journey from belt to belt. Limited sparring will hold you back as you advance into the black belt range, but, if you go into it wanting to be stronger (both mentally and physically), this won't matter. My husband and son are both black belts in one form of martial arts. They are now training privately with an advanced black belt in multiple forms who doesn't have a belt system. Both of them are enjoying it much more and I even think they are learning much more.

There is head gear available with full face protection. If you get to that point, I would suggest having that. Most people who practice tend to follow protocol which means you shouldn't get hit around the back of your head. This will eliminate worries of someone swinging from your blind spot.

In terms of your medical conditions, as long as someone in charge knows you are diabetic and knows what to look for in case you go low (some drills can be very short, but very intense) and as long as the doctor says its okay, go for it.

Top Top

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

I have trained both judo and classic boxing without any depth perception. It's okay-ish.

Top Top

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 am

So, update. Doc is all for it and gave me instructions for how to tweak my insulin intake during and after class.

Thanks for your perspective, chemgal. While I know I will need a certain amount of sparring to get used to using the techniques for self defense, I'm not sure I can see myself doing a lot of that or making it anywhere near black belt, and I really don't find belt rank important. I just want exercise, muscle, focus and self defense. My guess is that I will also promote more slowly than most anyway, due to having to learn a different way and compensate for my eyes.

I'm getting really excited now!!

Top Top

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:45 am

Wow, Aunt Lisa! I missed your posts. wondered if you would ever be back...good to hear from you again!

yes, expand your horizons and try things that interest you and make you stronger and better in many aspects. You might even consider TAi Chai.

Anyways, welcome back and wish you well in your new endeavors!

Luciano

Detached retina left eye, prosthesis in left eye 2010; very low vision in right eye; macular degeneration, drops for galucoma, two laser treatments for tears.

Male, Born: 1954

Top Top

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:32 pm

I took it and got my 1st degree in both karate and taekwondo.i didn't have a problem with sparring cause no one was allowed to kick me in the head;but I could kick them in the head. :) But that didn't happen too much since I'm 4'8" and most guys were much taller anyway. I did get head gear with a face mask for good measure.Just have fun with it and take it slow at first.

Top Top