Login | Register

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello, all the healthcare related workers out there or anyone who can help me,

I started my clinical rotation this week at a hospital and the floor I go is extra dry. My eye rarely gives me troubles before but now I'm so dry and get distracted during my rotation. What product do you use to help your eye stay lubricated? I'm on my psych rotation and every door is pretty much locked, so I need to ask for a key every time I need to go to the bathroom to put a drop in. I use GenTeal, but it works for only a short time.

If you have any suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Top Top

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:51 pm

I have dry eye, do you have dry eye and the problem is that the lost eye is worse? Or is your problem not so much a dry eye disease problem and more a dry prosthesis problem?

For needing a place to go to put drops in the lost eye, with a little practice you'll be able to do it without a mirror. Just don't try that on your real eye until you've really mastered it! Until you're comfortable doing without a mirror, carry a little mirror in your pocket. I always have one in my pocket so I can check my eye. Look on Etsy or Amazon for "pocket mirrors" - I buy a bunch because sometimes one goes through the laundry. My first time I bought five personalized ones from Etsy, I think I only have one left.

Top Top

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Polly,

Thank you for the reply.
I have a dry prosthetic problem. GenTeal isn't enough to keep my losteye moist.
Maybe as Chris suggested in other posts, I will carry small bottle of cleaner and clean/moisten it in the bathroom. I literally have no private room to go to put a drop in while we are locked in the unit. I have a cute pocket mirror as well for other places :) I'll have to check out Etsy!

Top Top

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:32 pm

For a dry prosthesis, you should try oil. Ask your ocularist, the man who made my eye had this oil that he sold. They (it was him and his brother) claimed they made it themselves, that when they bought the business, the recipe for the oil came with it, and people demanded it! They gave me a bottle to try but I didn't like it, it seemed to dry on my prosthesis in little dots, and I had to scrape them off with a fingernail.

But I did go through a dry prosthesis time when I used oil. I took a bottle that had originally had eye drops in it, but was soft (easier to squeeze). I just pulled out the dropper part from the neck of the bottle, rinsed everything thoroughly and let it dry, and then filled the bottle with mineral oil. I put the dropper part back in and that's all there was to it! When my eye got dry, I'd put a few drops of oil in it, work it around, dry off the excess, and I was comfortable again. (I also occasionally used the regular eye drops when it didn't seem that the oil was needed.)

It wouldn't work if you're wearing eye makeup. :lol: But if it's really bad, you could give up the eye makeup for awhile, couldn't you? This will eventually go away. As I remember it was early on for me and I think it probably is for you?

You could do it in an elevator, stairway, or even a hallway when nobody's around, couldn't you? Once you've gotten accustomed to doing it, it's pretty quick. Oh, start this when you're home for a day, you have to be sure the oil is right for you.

If you look here:
http://www.denveroptic.com/?page_id=76
There's a list of products. I think the first one is probably the one that's been used by the clients of Denver Optic for decades. You could write and ask them about it. And if you Google "prosthetic eye lubricant" you'll find others. Like this one:
https://www.ericksonlabs.com/Artificial ... L_p/sl.htm

Good luck! I'm sure with some patience, you'll work it out. And it won't be this way forever, someday you'll realize you're not using the oil, just regular eye drops. And if the oil doesn't work, there's other tricks, just ask.

Top Top

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 am

whitepooch123:
from a previous post of mine (which received a number of responses), i thought i would add .... one of my patients swears by her "personal" vaginal lubricant as her lubricant of choice. She claims to have tried all the others and was never satisfied with any of them. as a physician, i can't suggest that you use something that has not been tested for the eye but i thought i would share that story with you." for the purposes of an anatomical comparison ... the conjunctiva that lines your socket and vaginal mucosa that lines the inside of the vagina are both mucous membranes ... lubricants for one should work to lubricate the other. good luck.

Top Top
  Profile WWW