Login | Register

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi everyone:

Just an update. I'm back from London and on Day 3 after having the black IOL put in.

Results were immediate. The pain went away, no more double vision and most importantly no more of the mental torture of watching the world through a blender.

Now it is just a point of getting used to the new, single vision. Dr says within 3 months I won't even notice the difference. It is a little awkward now. My good eye gets a little tired and I'm a little clumsy at times, but that will resolve.

Curious as to how long it took you folks to get used to the new vision.

Thanks

Hope all is well

S

Top Top

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 pm

I never did get used to it. My eye problem began in 2005 and I was in incredible pain (the eye) and had daily migraines (not diagnosed). The doctors did not want to take it out, I asked several and they refused - even though it had no useful sight, was disfigured, and caused me terrible pain! I finally got someone to take it out in 2009.

Since I had so much pain for so long, now I have Phantom Eye Syndrome, the visual type. So I have not only lost half my vision, what is left is obscured. Anyone interested in PES should read Dr Marie Rasmussen's thesis, "The eye amputated - consequences of eye amputation with emphasis on clinical aspects, phantom eye syndrome and quality of life."
This link should get you to it:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 039.x/epdf
There are pictures that try to show what those who have this see, page 14.

I wish I could have had an opaque IOL or had the eye removed before this happened to me. It is a constant hell.

If you ever doubt your decision, look at the pictures.

Best wishes, I think you will adjust quicker than you think!
Polly

Top Top

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Polly
I'm so sorry you have gone through what you have. I was lucky enough to have a hockey mom on my sons team have the opaque IOL put in a couple of years ago or I would have never heard of it
Heathcare here can be frustrating at times!!

Thank you for your response!

Top Top

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

I'm so glad you finally got some relief. Getting used to a "normal" monocular life takes a bit of adjustment, but will be a lot easier than what you were going through. In my case, having an irritating blind eye for 2 1/2 years caused a lot of angst. Within 3 weeks of the enucleation, everything seemed to have normalized. Other than the field of view being narrowed ,I don't really notice it unless I'm driving and want to change lanes. My left eye is gone, so blind spot mirrors and several head turns to make sure no one is beside me is about the only difference in my life.
I'll try again to call you today.
Mike

Top Top