Login | Register

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi, my name is Dean. I was born premature, so the doctors gave me oxygen. Sadly, the gave me to much oxygen, and it result in me being blind in my left eye. I have retinal detatchment. As a result of being blind since I was a baby I have adapted very well. So well that people cannot tell that I am blind. I still have a small problem with deception, not being able to play sports ect. I did some research, but it seems that they still have not found a way to fix retinal detatchment. I see that they are doing studies, trying to grow the retina, through stem cells. Does anyone have any info? Also, for some odd reason, I am not considered disabilied, in South Carolina. Do you actually have to be legally blind? Also, can people with one I still drive a car? I know it varies by state. Thanks for any info you can give me! This sounds like a very friendly place!

Top Top

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Dean,
Welcome to the site. I had my eye removed when I was 9 months old from cancer. I have also adapted very well. I played all sorts of sports.
questionkid2001 wrote:
Also, for some odd reason, I am not considered disabilied, in South Carolina. Do you actually have to be legally blind? Also, can people with one I still drive a car? I know it varies by state. Thanks for any info you can give me! This sounds like a very friendly place!

I would think you have to be legally blind to be disabled. Almost everyone with one eye can do everything that a 2 eyed seeing person can. It's not a disability. I have driven cars since I was 17 (now 25) in both Maine and Massachusetts. In Maine the only restriction I had was I needed a side mirror on the side that I can't see out of. In Massachusetts I have no restrictions at all. I can drive almost anything that I don't need a CDL license for.
Again, welcome to the site.
Jen

Never take life for granted...because one day the Angel of Death will come down and swoop a loved one right from your arms...I miss you mom!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, Like Jen says it hardly effects driving, However I'd love one of thoses disabled parking tickets, There's always loads of disabled spaces right outside the doors of every supermarket :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome again matey

Andy

Male
in the 25-32 bracket (Just) ;)
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 pm

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi and welcome. Yes you have to be legally blind in 2 eyes to be disabled and get benefits etc. I had my left eye removed due to Melanoma and choose to stop driving (I was a lousy driver with 2 eyes) but it is legal in the state of Victoria ; Australia. However 2 states in Australia ban monocular drivers. Guess it is different everywhere. Enjoy reading and posting.
Oh and I'm sure there are people here who've had retina reattached and I'm sure you will here from them.
Cheers Ver

Top Top

Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 am

Hello Dean,
Welcome to Lost Eye great people here and I am sure you will hear many points of "view".
I had Retinal detachment nearly 3 years ago and many ops later still can't see......but I have 2 friends who have had the same op and theirs took the very first operation, one has 45% vision in his eye and the other has her sight back with glasses!! So it is done .Who knows, one day through stem cell research they might be able to grow more retina!!
I am termed essentially blind in my left eye, and like you I have some problems with depth perception...........but one learns to take it slower. Keep posting and any query that you have, there is a search box top right hand corner.
Maureen

Top Top

Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:42 am

Hi Dean
Welcome to the site I too live in SC and was told as long as I can see with 1 eye I can still drive which I have been doing for about a month and a half now.As far as stem cells I don't know much but they are looking at it we will have to see if anything viabble comes out of it.

Mike

Top Top

Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 am

I have been monocular for 26 years, I'm 56 now and only missed 90 days of driving. I'm guessing most states like Wisconsin,where I live, will have no problem letting you drive. Although you may not be able to get a bus drivers licence or others of this type. I do suspect that you will be required to have two outside mirrors on your vehicle.

Some quick advice, "In the summer, keep your driver's window closed. Bugs in your seeing eye and 55 mph don't mix well. Been there done that.

Don't let the DMV do your eye exam, get it done by your eye doctor before you renew your licence. These people(DMV folks) do thier jobs very well but are not qualified to deal with monocular drivers when checking your eyes at the counter.

“It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ”
-- James Thurber

Top Top

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Dean,

You aren't alone! I'm a 28 yr. old female, and have been clinically blind in my left eye since birth. My vision is like 20/400 in that eye. I was born with a congenital cataract and lens abnormality that was risky to operate on. My mom was afraid the surgery could cause me to totally lose my eye, so she chose not to have it operated on. Like you, looking at me you can't tell anything is wrong. Sometimes that eye is a little lazy if I'm tired or stressed. Sometimes it looks a little lazy in photos, but not often. My brain adjusted to it well. I see about 20/20 in my good eye with glasses. I have some peripheral vision in the bad eye, but very little. When looking out of my bad eye, it looks like someone smudged black paint over the center of my eye... that's the best way I can describe it. I have been driving a car since I was 16. I live in VA., and have passed their vision tests the last 2 times I've taken them. I am also an LPN. I could do the same stuff other girls could do while in nursing school, and have never had problems w/ patient care, meds, etc. When I applied I didn't even tell them I had a problem because it's never felt like a disability, and I see fine with both eyes open. I passed my skills check off lists, and graduated. Sometimes I don't get the whole 3D effect though when watching a 3D movie or something like that. I have developed some floaters in my good eye, but lots of people have those, and they are just annoying. Don't feel alone, there's others like you and me in the world. Don't let blindness in one eye change your life. I feel like until I'm totally blind and restricted from the things I love, I'm going to live life to the fullest! I'm a wife and mom, and have to for my family... Good luck! pD:

I'm a wife, & mommy of two beautiful girls. I was born with a congenital cataract & lens abnormality in the left eye (that would have been difficult to operate on & wasn't corrected). I'm clinically blind in the left eye (20/400) I'm 34/F.

Last edited by tanunson628 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Dean...... There is no form of compensation for people with only one eye or vision in one eye in any state in the USA. Yes it is annoying and difficult at times, and people with "one eye / mono vison", can not see 3 D. and unless your good eye is at the legally Blind stage which is 20 /200, then theres no help if thats the only reason your applying. you can still drive and unless you have night blindness there is just a few restrictions on your ability to drive, theres also some restrictions as far as obtaining a job with one eye, such as a CDL Driver, pilot or policeman, depending on your situation, each case is differnt. but as far as disability why "label" your self.. I'd say Challanged. Kendra 8)

Top Top

Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Hey Dean: We are neighbors! I'm in South Carolina too. I live in Taylors which borders Greenville. Welcome to the losteye family Dean! It's a great family of folks that will always be here for you too! Glad you joined us.
Lynn

No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. Philippians 3:13
F/47

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Dean,

It was the summer between my 8th grade year and my freshman year, when I was in a car accident. My skull above my right I was crushed into many pieces and a piece of the skull flew down and severed the optic nerve of my right eye. I was only 14 years old and completely lost all vision in my right eye. The eye itself was perfectly healthy and all the nerves, blood vessels and muscle all worked fine, just no signal getting to the brain. NO VISION. I'm now 37 and have had really no problem adjusting. I live in Ohio and had no problem getting my drivers license at 16, as long as I had both outside mirrors on the car. But the main reason I wanted to post was to tell you that while in college at Ohio University I actually got my private pilots license and was able to fly single engine land planes. So there really aren't too many restrictions out there for us one eyed individuals. Sure I can't fly commercially or anything, but I was able to get my private pilots license and made many solo flights around Ohio, West Virginia, and Indiana. It was a dream of mine and I wasn't about to let losing my right eye stop me from flying a plane.

Good luck with everything,

Top Top

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 am

[quote=" Sure I can't fly commercially or anything, but I was able to get my private pilots license and made many solo flights around Ohio, West Virginia, and Indiana. It was a dream of mine and I wasn't about to let losing my right eye stop me from flying a plane.

Good luck with everything,[/quote]

Actually, you can apply for and obtain a waiver from the FAA for monocular vision, which will enable you to obtain a commercial license. You'd be surprised how many one-eyed pilots are out there today flying for AA, Delta and United!

Top Top

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I was born with a lazy right eye and this was not corrected resulting in poor very vision, I am able to make out what items are and colours etc.

I am considering taking my PPL licence here in the UK and would like to hear from anybody who has successfuly gained there PPL licence here with monocular vision and if it allows them to carry passengers?

Thanks in advance guys

Kevin

Top Top

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:17 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Kevin; welcome to LE. You will find if you post your hello in Introductions as a new topic; you would get more replys. A few pilots here. My husband trains new pilots in Australia and has had 1 monocular trainee. The rules in Australia are different as when he checked the rules here in OZ for another poster; only a private licence can be obtained for monocular. No Commercial Airline can/will hire. Good luck with getting your licence.
cheers Vera

Top Top

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:07 am

Dean,

Welcome to Lost Eye! You've functioned with one eye a lot longer than I have, so you already know more about functioning normally than many of us in this group. I lost my left eye in an accident about 4.5 months ago.

I am still not confident enough to drive at night in the rain, but any other situation is OK. This week I hooked my trailer, loaded a new (to me) tractor, trailered through town and on two major highways, plus the narrow crooked backroads home. I make much use of the mirrors, and try to be sure I keep pace with traffic. Depth perception is only a problem in tight spots, like missing the fenders with the tractor's wheels, or backing the hitch under the trailer tongue (but I did that poorly with two eyes).

You'll be help to others here. Please stay and participate.

Good luck with the license.

Michael

Top Top

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 am

NO PACKING WAAAAY!..
My name is Dean and i was born with a blind left eye..nice to meet u buddy.
i've been driving, hope to get my license soon.
i dunno anything about US driving rules, try googling it....

Top Top

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Jayadag; welcome to LE. Try to repost in the Introductions section and you will receive more replies than tagging onto another topic. Cheers Vera

Top Top