Login | Register

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Afternoon All,

I recently suffered an injury (2nd week in August) where I had a blow out fracture of my right orbital floor. This required surgery in early September whereby a custom made titanium implant was used to repair the orbital floor. There was a small amount of double vision prior to the operation but since the op the double vision has increased substantially and was hoping that someone has either had experience of the problem or is a doctor and can shed some light on the issue.

In terms of the double vision then it is as if someone has taken the picture in my right eye, turned it 30 degrees anticlockwise and placed it back, meaning that the double vision seriously disorientates me with both eyes open. The vision is fine when i have either eye open on their own but the fact that it is at an angle in my right eye means that I keep wanting to fall to the left if I just have the repaired eye open.

I have been told that this can take some time to go and the doctors seemed more hopeful than expecting it to recover. I have done some research on the net but a lot of the articles require a fee so I was hoping that someone could help. The more days that pass then the less hopeful I become....if things dont return does that mean that I will forever have double vision or is there more that can be done?!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Top Top

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello and welcome, I am sorry to hear about this serious injury. If the muscles are attached and your eye has movement, I think that there might be an op. for the strabismus [off center eye]. Children get it done all the time, or, wear glasses to bring the eye back to center. I went to the doctor for this problem, to see if glasses with a prism would bring the eye into alignment, but unfortunately there is not enough sight left to focus, plus too much debris under the lens implant, breaking up the light. I think you will hear from others on L/E. Keep posting.
Maureen

Top Top

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 am

Hey Paul,

Sorry to hear about your injury and doublevision. I also had a blow out fracture of my right orbit in addition to other injuries following a horse accident. My eye was ruptured in two places during the accident. I never experienced the double vision that is common with this type of injury, I think because my vision was essentially gone following the accident, although I do still have my eye.

A couple of months after my accident I met with a lady who had a similar accident to mine (kicked in the face). She did experience double vision following her accident, but her eye was not ruptured. People kept asking me if I had double vision after my accident. She is fine now, but I think she said it took along time for her vision to get straightened out, like months to years, but it did happen.

So maybe it's just going to take a bit longer. I think it would be worse to have double vision in an eye than to have no vision, at least during the time that you're experiencing it. Possibly you could get a contact lense painted to look like your iris and pupil for cosmetic reasons but that is occluded on the underside to prevent you from seeing through it. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor lots of questions or to get second or third opinions if neccessary. Just keeping digging for the answers. Let me know if I can try to help further. I wish you all the best. Valorie

Top Top

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks for the replies both, much appreciated.

In terms of strabismus I believe that the are pretty much in the same position although it does look as if the right iris is slightly higher than it was and therefore higher than the left one (basically you can see the bottom of the iris on one but not the other).

I guess it is a matter of waiting but it is good to know that it can get better even if it takes a long time. Many thanks

Top Top

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Paul,

I am currently in the same situation after a serious injury. I had surgery Friday to repair my orbital floor, and have had double vision (exactly as you described it) since i woke up. Literally the balance issues and all. Have you found any way to remedy this besides time?

Jed

Top Top

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Paul and welcome to LE . Unfortunately I can't be any help with double-vision. I hope in time it settles and Valorie's suggestion of a painted contact lens sounds a good option.

Hi Jed; welcome to LE. I'm sure others would like to welcome you also; so maybre repost in Introductions.

cheers Vera

Top Top

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:22 am

hi Paul
how is your vision now?

Top Top

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 am

judyj wrote:
hi Paul
how is your vision now?

Howdy Judy and...
.......................................Image
It appears Paul's account was deactivated, likely because it had shown no activity for several years. What prompted your visit to LostEye? I'd encourage you to use the Introduction Forum to say Howdy. We're an affable group and have a good deal of knowledge about the 2D world.

Top Top
  Profile WWW