Login | Register

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:37 am

Hello my name is Matt Woodruff but everyone calls me one eyed woody, I have had monocular vision since the age of eight when i was struck by a piece of PVC piping to the eye. This has limited my career choices by far and it is quite the hassle I am currently working as a Janitor and i would like a more interesting career field but everywhere i have applied has a minimum 20/200 each eye scale for employment and the money i make as a janitor just doesn't cover the bills so my quandary is do we as monocular eyed persons qualify for SSI and if not, is there anything or anyone that proceeds to help us with the Americans with Disabilities Act... in further more if not why are we denied a chance to serve in the US military?

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't think we can get disability in the US. I was rejected from the military and the FBI because of my eye. I can kind of understand not being accepted in the military, but not the FBI. There isn't much I can do to fight them though. :x

What kind of jobs have you applied for that rejected you because of your eye? Personally if a company denied me because of my eye and there wasn't a good reason for it, I'd sue. It's discrimination. Too many people assume that having one eye means you're incapable of doing physical tasks. They need to be shown otherwise.

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Social Secuurity does not consider being one-eyed a disability. Their standard is can you do any type of work at all, and not necessarily what you would like to do or what you could do before losing an eye.

I used to handle Social Security disability claims (I'm a lawyer), but it got to the point that the system was so difficult to deal with that even clearly valid claims took years to resolve.

In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king.
Erasmus

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:35 pm

I believe that in order to get on disability the remaining eye must be legally blind. (unable to be corrected to 20/200 with lenses).

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 pm

But if we can't get disability yet we can't be police FBI or military then the government is purposing that they have a right to discriminate us. Am I the only person who sees how wrong this is?

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

OneEyedWoody wrote:
But if we can't get disability yet we can't be police FBI or military then the government is purposing that they have a right to discriminate us. Am I the only person who sees how wrong this is?

I agree. If vision is an issue then an eye exam should be done rather than outright rejecting people because they're missing an eye. There are plenty of one-eyed people with better vision than two eyed people.

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:45 pm

emmm i would be very annoyed if someone called me "one eyed woody" thats not very polite actually!!!!!!

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:25 pm

OneEyedWoody wrote:

It is not discrimination if a person cannot perform the essential functions of the job even with "reasonable accommodation" by the employer . If having binocular vision (which gives ful peripheral vision, which none of us have) is essential to the job (police, FBI), there's no accommodation for that so, it's not employment discrimination under the law, sorry. There may be different laws that apply to the military, but I suspect they are similar and the result the same.

Detached retina 2009, right eye; evisceration March 2010

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Any one eyed person can be a police officer if they did not descriminate, if the law says we can't be then it is our obligation for the future of monoculars to change the law because this is in fact DISCRIMINATION

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 pm

woody,

they call me one eyed jim, i have been called that since i lost my eye in 1973, everyone in a number of industries knows me by that moniker.

during the reagan years i entered the military with the intent of being granted a waiver.........long story but, the waiver was not granted and was kicked to the dod instead of the pres.

bottom line of all of our gripes and grumps is that if the agency requires correctible vision in both eyes, we lose.........

you can kick and scream all you want but you are only as disabled as you want to be, unless you have unbareable pain associated with your eye or something else seriously wrong, your ok.

if you don't like the occupation that you have find another, if you aren't able to be what you want-be something else. get an idea and a SBA loan and run with it. don't look at the pile of horse poop and see a mess hoping someone will move it, look at a pile of horse poop and believe that there may be a pony at the bottom and start digging.

i could prolly word this better and i'm not being vehemete though i may sound crass, its not my intent.

KEITH DOUG, it makes no difference what people call you as long as they call, you're too friggin sensitive, lighten up.

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Hello Woody [I'll forgo the other part as most of us have only one seeing eye here]. Welcome to L/E. you will find that for most of us being monocular has hardly left a dent in our capabilities or goals. Find a vocation and apply, apply,apply. As for the disability, your are if you feel that way, but you won't get a pension unless you are having other problems and they have been mentioned already.
Best wishes in your goals.

Top Top

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:32 pm

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi and welcome to LE. I agree with everyone; unfortunately some job skills are very specific (police/armed forces/airline pilots) that can't accomodate monoculars but it is not discrimination as Stretchaz explained. One other person here did qualify for SS but he had other problems as well as being monocular.

Jim ...... in Britain ""one-eyed Woody"" means something totally different!!! (involved a male body part!!)

cheers Vera

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi and welcome to LE. I agree with everyone; unfortunately some job skills are very specific (police/armed forces/airline pilots) that can't accomodate monoculars but it is not discrimination as Stretchaz explained. One other person here did qualify for SS but he had other problems as well as being monocular.

Jim ...... in Britain ""one-eyed Woody"" means something totally different!!! (involved a male body part!!)

cheers Vera

Right, the other person had constant, severe pain. That qualified him standing alone, the vision issue didn't matter.

Detached retina 2009, right eye; evisceration March 2010

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Thanks Stretchaz; I couldn't remember what the the other severe problem was .... I know someone at Vision Australia who also got Disability based on also being totally deaf. Here there is a points system to qualify for disability. You are awarded 5 points automatically for being monocular. Then any other medical conditions gathers the other points ... you must reach 20points to qualify.

cheers Vera

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 am

att 1IDEJIM,
re"
KEITH DOUG, it makes no difference what people call you as long as they call, you're too friggin sensitive, lighten up. "

1I dejim ... Yes i am sensitive... so PLEASE dont tell me to lighten up.......
I find a remark like woody one eye or anything like that
VERY rude indeed,, especially if it was ever directed at me.. same as if i had 1 leg! And a odd remark was also made at me,,,,
To some it may seem a joke to me it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 am

Irish_In_Oz wrote:

cheers Vera

vera, does here too, one eyed jack, pete, snake, and a few more........ow and so does woody.....

just a bunch of everyday words that when put together in a particular manner are meant to provoke a response. these same words, it's your choice to take positive or negative action.

i believe in free speach and i also believe that you learn when to pick your battles, i also have seen keith post on many ocassions about the care he takes of his eye and was the target of his angst when i posted the nonchalant manner in which i not only handled a bad situation and carried on but also the way that i choose to live my life. i also picture keith typing away, mad as a hatter with his over use of caps and comma's.

turning back to matt's post, our economy and our country for that matter is full of the disabled, some by birth, some by accident and some by violence. it takes a bigger person to live his or her life never asking quarter of his opponent, yes others people are opponents when it comes to jobs.

any healthy person that asks for special treatment needs to e-assess their real needs, take a stroll through the VA or a childrens hospital.......see how much real heart there is in this country.

i can see right now that i've said too much......

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 am

Ok I don't debate others may need it more, I constantly visit the VA where my grandfather is on dialysis I see the suffering, I'm in a school working on my EMT training where I have clinicals working in a childrens burn ward I do not deny others have more right to SSI, but what I'm really trying to get at here is how jacked up this country must truely be to where a monocular eyed man can sign up for the draft and can be drafted but then is refused to let us regularly serve in the military I know years ago my monocular eyed uncle signed a waiver and was allowed to serve this is a new generation wanting their chance.

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 am

KEITH DOUG wrote:
att 1IDEJIM,
re"
KEITH DOUG, it makes no difference what people call you as long as they call, you're too friggin sensitive, lighten up. "

1I dejim ... Yes i am sensitive... so PLEASE dont tell me to lighten up.......
I find a remark like woody one eye or anything like that
VERY rude indeed,, especially if it was ever directed at me.. same as if i had 1 leg! And a odd remark was also made at me,,,,
To some it may seem a joke to me it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you think it's different, if someone calls THEMSELVES something like that? It's not like Mr. Random Joe Schmoe created this account for him, I mean, really. If someone wants to call themselves Stank Butt, so be it. You wanna be called Stank Butt, I'm calling you Stank Butt.

I agree, you are only as disabled as you want to be. As far as government, well you have to pick your battles and decide what's worth fighting for. If you like that line of work and can't get in, then maybe something similar like security guard or bouncer would be up your alley. Think outside the box and don't limit yourself.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:56 am

I have worked a security detail in Johannesburg South Africa but in all honesty those jobs are few and far between since the world wide economy has gone to hell if i received a opportunity
to do such again i would do it in a heart beat.

Top Top

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 am

OneEyedWoody wrote:
Ok I don't debate others may need it more, I constantly visit the VA where my grandfather is on dialysis I see the suffering, I'm in a school working on my EMT training where I have clinicals working in a childrens burn ward I do not deny others have more right to SSI, but what I'm really trying to get at here is how jacked up this country must truely be to where a monocular eyed man can sign up for the draft and can be drafted but then is refused to let us regularly serve in the military I know years ago my monocular eyed uncle signed a waiver and was allowed to serve this is a new generation wanting their chance.

let me rebutte this from my experience, i was in the draft lottery in 74, my number was 026. the last physical draft was 74, induction ended in 73. we withdrew from vietnam in 75.

during the reagan administration i joined the ca.state military reserve which was a subordinate of the national guard, by doing this i acheived a valid rank and with the help of a second lieutenant physicaly was TDY'd to th 3/360/91div trng while applying for a waiver. for 2-1/2 years i served reserve station status and was promoted to E-5, 11-X which is a drill instructor.

eventually the waiver was denied by the DOD and i was released, ( not happily) my options if i were to contest this further were bleak facing serious consequences. i have my doubts that your uncle enlisted with one eye, the reason that my waiver was denied was that the DOD didn't want to set precedence, i was told this directly by a maj.gen.

if your uncle was injured while on duty and as a result of said duty, yes, a waiver could be in order due to his injury/disability being service related. he would still be required to prove that he would be capable of doing his job and would not see a theater of war.

your commitment to serve as an emt is admirable, i hope you do well.

my issue is not with you but with any person that feels that he or she is entitled to a paycheck for doing nothing, we have way too many of these people in our country.

if you can't make ends meet, i suggest that you keep the job you have while searching elsewhere for something that suits your needs. that or change your needs.

on the other forum a gal gave me a neat idea, i responded and at least she and her friend may have an opportunity laying at her feet. pick the ball up and run is what we should all do. i have a close friend that had both hands blown off when he was 20, i can only be around him for short periods of time because he won't do anything for himself.

i'm prolly making you mad instead of being a helper type, i don't want you mad, just take a look at the real world. if our economy falls much lower (which it prolly will) you're not going to see these people that don't take care of themselves doing all that well. you're young, seem to be healthy so drive on, the world is yours if you want it and are willing to work for it.

one thing i'd like to add, if i'm healthy enough to make jokes i have to be healthy enough to take jokes, how anyone takes my humor is beyond my control.

if i knew someone with one eye and one leg i'd never make fun of I LEANS eye.

Top Top