Login | Register

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 am

Hello,

I have had a progressive 6th nerve cranial palsy problem in my right eye for going on 8 years now. It started as very mild double vision in my right peripheral vision. But has become increasingly worse over the years. In the last 6 months my right eye has turned in over the central line of vision and I have double vision looking straight ahead now. I am beginning to fear neck and then spinal problems in the long term as I continue to turn my head to see without the double vision. The worse it gets the more I turn my head.

I’m waiting to see a doctor at the eye and ear hospital, but hold little hope. Has anyone ever had 6th nerve cranial palsy over a long period of time and had it right itself? The double vision is making navigating tables in a cafe difficult and crowds in the street almost impossible - Excuse me, sorry! is my new catch phrase.

I have considered using an eye patch but feel like I am not in the same position as people who have lost eyes completely. For all intensive purposes, if I wore an eyepatch and took it off people would think I was capable of seeing. My eye doesn’t look damaged it seems lazy but not blind.

I don’t know if I should wear one. Although I think I would be more confident in myself walking around and correct potential neck and back problems from looking out the left and walking forward with my head turned, I just don’t feel like I should.

Like I am pretending to be hiding something rather then needing it. I don’t know if this makes sense but, after reading a lot of the stories on here about people who have lost eyes to cancer and accidents, I just feel like it is taking the mickey if I was to wear one.

Top Top

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:02 am

Hello Mitch and welcome here..
If you are suffering form double vision then I don't think you would be taking the mickey by wearing a patch. You must do what is best for you.
There are several ways to occlude vision if you are looking for a bit of relief /help and patching your eye is one of the ways.
I still have my eye but I recently bought some surgical patches..(like a big plaster) which I wear around the house and I find this useful when my eye just gets too tired to stay open due to my issues. But I don't have double vision, it is just blurred. Maybe you could buy some of these to see how you would get on visually before going out with a patch.

"Dutchess" a member here recently posted some wonderful photo's of different ways to patch/occlude vision..you can insert her name, via the search facility on the blue line above and it will bring up her posts.

Good luck at your next hospital appointment and don't worry what other's think . You have to do what is best for you.

If you are getting neck ache and back ache try to relax your muscles by doing home yoga or stretching excercises this will help.

Have a good day.

"Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy" Lao Tzu

Top Top

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi; Mitch; if patching helps especially with the head/neck movement then do it. It would not be taking the micky out of anyone. I wear a prosthetic and I'm sure people assume I can see with 2-eyes; I occassionally patch and I'm asked why and I say "I have a slight problem with my prosthetic eye so leaving it out for a few days" .... do what is right for you and your problems. If it is causing a lot of pain to your head/neck etc would you consider removing the eye??? Best wishes Vera

Top Top

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Mitch,

No this has not happened to me or do I know anything about it. But if patching your eye will make your life easier then do it. Don't worry about what other people think. You have the right to feel confident when walking and not always worrying about bumping into people, some with very negative reactions I'm sure. You also have to think about future problems with your neck and spine as you mentioned. Many people patch and not just for blindness. Some do for double vision or for light sensitivity. So do what you need to and enjoy life with more confidence. Best of luck to you and have a good day.

Elaine

Top Top

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm

mitch:
the sixth cranial nerve (abducens nerve) is one of the 12 cranial nerves. 6 of the 12 nerves are responsible for either pain sensation or muscle movements involving the eye or eyelids. the sixth nerve is solely responsible for the movement of only one of the 6 extraocular muscles that moves the eye in different directions. the sixth nerve innervates (stimulates) the lateral rectus muscle which moves the right eye to the right and the left eye to the left. when paralyzed (full or partial palsy) the affected eye will not move outward so the patient has double vision in that field of gaze (as you described). i have seen many 6th nerve palsies resolve spontaneously within a few weeks to few months depending on what caused it (viral, etc.). although i never say never, 8 years is unlikely to go away. your "progression" is probably not related to the 6th nerve or the lateral rectus muscle but probably due to the medial rectus muscle (other side of the eye which moves the eye in) which is contracting because the lateral rectus muscle (on the opposite side of the eye) has not been working in a number of years. the contraction of the medial rectus muscle is now pulling your eye toward your nose. there are some surgical procedures to help move your eye outward a little. surgeons (strabismus surgeons) take the outer part of your superior and inferior rectus muscles and move them to the side where the lateral rectus is not working. they also recess (move back) your medial rectus muscle a little bit. it may relieve some of your double vision straight ahead and give you a better straight-ahead appearance. you might want to see a neuro-ophthalmologist or a pediatric ophthalmologist that operates on adult eye muscles also. otherwise, wear a patch or opaque contact lens and don't drive if you have double vision. good luck.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 am

By all means see a specialty doc as cslonim suggests. In the meantime can the thought:
mitch wrote:
I have considered using an eye patch but feel like I am not in the same position as people who have lost eyes completely.

tell them Willis said, "it's OK to wear a patch over a full socket" :2thumbs: Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:50 am

mitch wrote:
Hello,

I have had a progressive 6th nerve cranial palsy problem in my right eye for going on 8 years now.

Hello Mitch

If you need a patch then do not worry about using it. I used adhesive bandages designed for eye injuries for about three months until I learned to select which eye to process.

When I was first diagnosed with 6th Nerve Palsy the comment was made it would likely resolve in 60 to 90 days and was due to my failure to adequately take care of my Type 2 diabetes. I was moderately offended as my A1C (a blood diagnostic that evaluates glucose damage over a period time) usually ran 5.4 maybe hitting 5.7 on occasion. Six months later the double vision had improved only slightly. A neuro-opthalmologist advised on the last visit he was inclined to resort to Botox injections and
surgery to offer some relief.

In addition to the double vision I was having other health issues. These included nightmares, night sweats, recurring infections requiring antibiotics, increasing joint pain, stiffness, bone spurs in the heels, vertebrae (neck & lower back) advancing incontinence and increasing lethargy (sleeping 12 plus hours a day, 16 plus hours on weekends) to name a few.

The Primary Care Physician on a visit in early July drew blood for more diagnostics. She had previously checked for Lyme Disease and stated she was convinced it was Lymes but the blood work kept coming back negative. I reluctantly agreed to more blood work. In about 10 days her office called and summoned me to appear back before her. That is usually sign of a big UH-OH.

When I returned she met me in an exam room with a Cheshire grin and told me she had been able to identify a parasitic infection called Babesia. The vector is the same as Lyme Disease (the deer tick on this side of the pond) but is a parasite. She prescribed three drugs, Mepron (developed for treating pneumocystic pneumonia in immune compromised patients but also used to assault Babesia), Septre and Biaxin. She said it would take about six months to totally clear the bugger out but she was confident the cause of multiple problems had been identified. Her parting comment was "You are going to have fun".

I started the prescriptions and the changes were dramatic.

Day 1 No changes noted
Day 2 Maybe feeling a little better but still pretty dang low.
Day 3 Chronic headaches seem less obnoxious (these had been around for years and while annoying had not warranted aggressive inspection)
Day 4 Wow - actually beginning to feel human again, lower back pain is almost gone.
Day 5 Upon arising swung my feet around to the floor. I had reached a point I needed to grab the bureau by the bed to pull up to get out of bed. That morning I realized the hip joint stiffness was radically reduced and I stood without having to pull up on the bureau nor push with hands on bed to stand. Upon leaving for work and descending the stairs I was able to navigate the stairs by alternately moving each foot to the next step. For the last 20 years I had been clinging to the stair rail and baby stepping down, place the right foot down and then the left foot on the same step, then repeat. I was absolutely giddy but still had not noticed any perceptual change in vision.
Day 6 Must have reached a plateau. Same as Day 5 - Impatientence
Day 7 Much less stiffness in the neck, headaches have almost fully resolved.
Day 8 Co-workers comment I seem in much better spirit.
Day 9 Three months after the onset of the double vision I had learned to select the field of view for processing. So the patch had been ditched. Noticed that the separation between the two images seemed possibly to be narrowing.
Day 10 Incontinence issues have resolved. Yippy Ky Yay, soiling and wetting had abated.
Day 11 There is obvious improvement in the vision. The visual field separation is definitely narrowing.
Day 12 Further improvement in the vision. I can now maintain a single image with both eyes at a further distance (about 35 feet) before the double image problem becomes evident.
Day 13 Holy smokes, I have to put the patch back on when driving. The images from both eyes are merging and separating randomly depending on eye movement when focusing on objects at increasing distance.
Day 14 - TOMORROW MORNING _ I will have to report back then.

The reason for this lengthy epistle is if I learned one thing it is not to necessarily accept the answers from the doctors. When the double vision occurred on Jan 1, 2012 the ER Physician diagnosed me with Cluster Migraines and sent me off with a bottle full of Oxycodone and Promethazine. A Neurologist gave me the diagnosis of 6th Nerve Palsy which actually is the correct descriptor but not an accurate cause of the problem. The Neuro-Opthalmologist admitted he was baffled by the lack of recovery and offered surgical intervention. It was the work of a persistent Primary Care Physician that eventually paid off and seemingly hit the jackpot. While I may be experiencing a placebo effect I am dang happy with whatever is occurring.

I feel better than I have in nearly 30 plus years.

While I cannot say this bugger is a blight causing your problems I would surely try to investigate the possibility with the Primary Care Physician particularly if you have other unexplained health problems. 6th Nerve Palsy normally resolves fairly quickly (60 to 90 days). The parasite only causes problems in a small percentage of infected persons but when it does cause problems they can be devastating.

Hope you find resolution.

Charlie

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:16 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Charlie; I'm glad your problem sorted and you are getting back to your old self; stay around and meet some of the other nice people here. cheers vera

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 am

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi Charlie; I'm glad your problem sorted and you are getting back to your old self; stay around and meet some of the other nice people here. cheers vera

Thank you. I appreciate the hospitality and the efforts maintaining this forum.

Charlie

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:28 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Charlie; we try to give care; support and encouragement and also share we've learnt on our journey. cheers vera

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Pleased to meet you Charlie and thankyou for posting. Another perspective on Mitch's dilemma is good resource material for LostEye. I wish you continued healing, please keep in touch and let us know your progress.
Maureen

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:52 am

Hi, Mitch. I have 4th nerve palsy after a Baervelt shunt surgery. Double vision, so I wear a patch and I get lots of comments like "talk like a pirate" or "keep an eye on this for me", but no one has scolded me when I remove the pirate patch in public. You do what you have to do. :lol:

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:06 am

Welcome Charlie! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm thrilled for you! Your joy is palpable. Please update us occasionally. Janice

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present. (from Kung Fu Panda)

Top Top

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the support and advice. Since I first wrote that post my eye has gotten worse turning in past the central line of vision and I have all but locked myself away. I have let it get the best of me and it has depleted my courage somewhat.

It's time for some action and I am going to investigate some of the options you talked about Charlie. It sounds like a arduous journey you have been on but I'm so happy that things are looking up for you. I am going to get in contact with a the doctors I have met previously and show them the information you sent through and see if it can lead me somewhere.

In the meantime I've ordered an eye patch from the eye patch store http://www.eyepatchstore.com/ and am going to test a few out to get myself back on track.

So many of you said it and it warmed my heart to hear - you have to do what you got to do.

Thanks again for the support.

Chat soon,

Mitch

Top Top