Login | Register

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Hello all.
I have been 'fighting' a mini upper eyelid tear duct Staph infection (sampled & confirmed to be Staph) for some time now.
The ONLY symptom is a bump the size of a very small green pea in the corner of my upper eyelid near my nose.
I have Rx antibiotic eye drops for the infection.
I have been told to use a routine of warm compresses (one to two minutes) and to gently press on the tear sac with index finger (finger pointing to the top of the nose) to promote drainage.
I have been using a clean warm wash cloth as a compress 2x per day.
It is a bothersome thing as it is slow to go away.
I was curious if ... STEAMING MY FACE would help to open the tear duct ???
Thanks for any suggestions.

Top Top

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm

nouska:

steaming your face should have no effect on the tear duct. did your doctor irrigate your tear duct system to see if there is a blockage somewhere? a frequent cause of chronic eye infections (or slow resolving ones) can be a blocked tear duct (dacryostenosis) which does not allow the tears to escape into the nose after they have lubricated and cleansed the eye. a "bump" near the nose may represent a swollen tear sac that has filled up with the infected tears (dacryocystitis) that cannot escape into the nose. if pressing on your bump "milks" some fluid back onto the eye then your tear duct is probably blocked and may require a surgical repair (dacryocystorhinostomy). your antibiotic drops and warm compresses are to fight the infection but will not typically relieve the blockage. this has to be done mechanically. good luck.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 am

Site Admin

i suffered from chronic dachyrocystitic for a while. i would get these big (robins egg sized) sacs, that would fill with pus, then using the warm compress, time, and pressure eventially they'd pop, and go away, for a while. it was really bad at times, and looked absolutely awful

i eventually had bilateral dacryocystorhinostomies. i still get a lttle pocket of gunk in my right duct, but i can push it out.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 am

To cslonim:
Yes. Irrigation and or lancing has been discussed.
I have never had a tear duct infection prior to this. This is not a chronic condition. It is an oddity for me.
After the warm compress is applied when manipulated there is a very small amount of discharge released from the tear duct. Draining is occurring. The inflammation (mini green pea sized bump) is deflating.
If it worsens or does not resolve I will have it dealt with.
I am an impatient patient. I feel foolish to complain when others have endured far worse; but Staph being Staph one must always be careful.
Thank you for the well wishes. It will be sorted one way or the other.

To rukus:
Robins Egg Sized Sacs ?!?
:shock:
It must have been horrid. Sorry you had to endure that mess.
FABULOUS that it was resolved with surgery.
I'll never look at a Robins Egg the same way again. HA!
:)

Top Top

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:49 pm

UPDATE
FINALLY ... the mini green pea sized bump (inflammed / Staph infected upper eye lid tear duct) seems to have completely deflated. My Rx anti-biotic eye drops have run out. Perfect timing.

It has been one day / one night since any sign of inflammation and/or discharge.
Staph being such a persistent bacteria ... time will be the true test if this has been completely resolved.
:)

Top Top