Login | Register

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Site Admin

:right: Help Guidelines for Members Awaiting Surgery

Things you might want to do at home before and after the operation:-

1. Prepare your room with fresh linen and extra pillows so you are not having to do this when you return.
2. Get in your favorite DVDs, or music to listen to.
3. Do any heavy tasks before you go into hospital (kitty litter tray etc).
4. Make some small meals and freeze them so you will not be standing; cutting and cooking. Handy when you have to take your meds.
5. Make sure that you have frozen veggies for the swelling, some members prefer frozen corn as they find that it comforts the face better, most use frozen peas. Using frozen veg can be better than using hard ice-packs. Wrap them in a face cloth and put on the swollen eye (if it is) for 20 minutes. 10-20 minutes off. Write "Eye pack" on it so it doesn't get used in cooking.
6. Sometimes at the beginning, the hurt/pain goes away during the day but comes back at night, that's just swelling. Again just use the veggies (20 minutes on, 20minutes off).
7. No jerky head-movements (very painful).
8. Don't be afraid of using painkillers.. some of us have more hurt than others.
The key is to keep ahead of it. It doesn't last long.. for some of us a couple of days, for some a little more than a week.
9. Pain meds should be taken "on schedule" as much as possible, around the same time each day/night.
10. Arrange for some help the first few days of your recovery if you need it.

A few causes of Post Op Pain

1. The degree of difficulty the procedure posed during surgery including the condition of the eye, previous surgeries or trauma, amount of adjacent tissue that may require removal, etc.
2. Swelling of adjacent structures-e.g, eyelids, conjunctivae
3. Any suturing that may have been performed
4. Post op dressing - The pressure of the patch against the eyelids against the conformer against the recently sutured layers of eye tissues against the implant (all pressed together when the patch is tightly taped on that side of the face.
5. Sensitivity of the orbital nerves after surgery
6. A "generic" conformer in a swollen socket (especially rubbing against the swollen conjunctiva) may be another source of discomfort
7. Some patients have a much lower pain threshold than others. That's not a bad thing but just unfortunate for those that have a low threshold.

Generally expect to feel 100% better the day after surgery when the patch is removed and ice compresses can be applied for the next 36 hours

Nausea
Post-op nausea frequently occurs when the eye muscles are sewn to the porous implants or pulled and/or stretched around an implant. Manipulation of the eye muscles can cause nausea as well as other systemic systems (eg, slow the heart rate). The best way to manage the pain and nausea is with pain meds and anti-nausea medications. Take them when needed and know that in the vast majority of patients both symptoms are usually gone in a few days to a week.

The best management is to follow your surgeon's postop instructions

Timeline for fitting a prosthetic eye

1. day of surgery,
2. 1-week postop visit,
3. patient goes home and makes an appointment with the ocularist for late morning or early afternoon to coincide with the next appointment with their surgeon (3-4 weeks postop),
4. 3-week postop visit with surgeon in the early morning then goes directly to the ocularist,
5. ocularist usually gives patient a temporary prosthesis or conformer, usually looks as good as the permanent. (plastic conformers come in generic sizes ; small, medium and large),
6. 1-2 weeks later the patient gets their permanent prosthesis (depending on how busy the ocularist is),
7. return to see the surgeon 2-3 weeks after permanent prosthesis.

Obviously, the timeline can change if there are any unforeseen complications along the way. Some patients have had to wait as long as 5 weeks for the socket to fully heal which will prolong the above process. The timeline may differ slightly between different countries.

Fitting of the prosthesis
Posted by a member from LE. (Chemgal), following her visit.

1.They will take an oral history for their records and then they will remove your conformer.
2.They will replace the conformer with another one that has a tip facing out. This will feel a little odd because you won't be able to close your eye lid all the way - but it doesn't hurt.
3. They will then put a cold molding material in and have you move your "eye" to the left, to the right, up and down
4. They will remove this and then someone else will start painting your iris. It looks like a washer and they will find a washer with the right opening to match your pupil. They will hold this up to your face a lot of times and ask you to look at their finger, this way they can be sure to get a good match from each angle.
5. In the meantime, the other person is making a wax mold and may have to be sliding it in and out of your socket a few times to check the fit.
6. This might feel strange but it does not hurt.
Following this procedure you will have a good break . You may want to go for a coffee and a snack nearby. This will give you a chance to rest a little.
7. After the break you return to the ocularists office and they check the fit of the eye and then they paint the finer details on the eye like blood vessels. This is a neat process to watch! This takes about 30 minutes followed by another 2 hours break.

Prepare yourself with these items:

Appropriate clothing for outside weather, just in case you want to walk out side for a break.
Also wear comfortable clothing for the day.There are usually a few sessions with in and out fittings, so food, drink, music or a talking book will see you through nicely if you have them bring them along.
Analgesics for a headache if such arises.

Movement of a prosthesis
There are a number of factors that affect the movement of a prosthesis:

1. the conditions of the muscles that move the eye,
2. the relationship of the implant to the socket,
3. the size of the implant compared to the size of the socket,
4. the relationship of the prosthesis to the socket,
5. the size of the prosthesis,
6. the tension of the eyelids, etc. and these are just a few. Increased movement can be enhanced with the porous implants which can be "pegged" after surgery. This peg sticks out and fits into a dimple in the back of the prosthesis. However, an exposed peg can create a new set of potential complications with the socket.

More information regarding the preoperative, surgical and postoperative options surrounding the loss of an eye are explained in this book.
http://www.eyewasthere.info/

Good luck in your recovery!
---
The Moderators

This was written up by members of the site, and in no way is conclusive. It may help, but there is to be no expectation of perfect recovery.

FAQ regarding discharge/infection for prosthetic eyes.

Answers to these questions have been prepared by a medical professional.

1) How much discharge is (normal) from a good fitting polished acrylic eye?

It is not normal for any socket to have a constant discharge. There are four main types of discharge are watery, mucoid (mucous), purulent (pus) and bloody. The first two are usually considered benign or harmless. However, if constant, there can be an underlying problem. Both are common with chronic irritations of the prosthesis with the conjunctiva in the socket. Dryness within the socket can trigger a reflex watery discharge. Likewise, allergies commonly cause a mucous discharge which is usually associated with some itching.

2) How do you know if you have an infection? What are the symptoms?

A purulent (pus) discharge is considered an active infection until proven otherwise. This type of discharge is usually described as thick and yellowish or greenish. A bloody discharge requires examination to make sure that there are no inadvertent abrasions or trauma to the conjunctiva from the prosthesis.

3) What is the difference in symptoms between an infection and an eye that just needs to be polished?

The symptoms of an infection are usually related to the thick discharge described above. An eye that's just needs to be polished usually as a watery or mucous discharge because of the irritation from the unpolished surface of the prosthesis.

4) What is the best cure for an infection?

The best cure for an infection is applying the correct antibiotic drop or ointment that kills the bacteria causing the infection. The same bacteria that causes normal eyes to become infected can easily infect the socket with a prosthesis. The dark, warm and moist environment behind the prosthesis makes it easier for the socket to become infected than a normal eye.

Other signs of infection:-

Signs of an infection would include a socket being redder than normal and the redness not going away even if you leave the prosthesis out for a while.
Symptoms could be accompanied by fever, intense dryness in the socket, and pain in the implant area.
NB:-Extra tearing or discharge could be allergy related and when pollen count is high. Sinus infections require separate treatment/ointment .

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Last edited by ward on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Information added August 2013

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

THANKS RUKUS; KNEW YOU WERE THE GO TO GUY :lol: :lol: CHEERS VERA

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Nicely done, Rukus! :applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Site Admin

elmocioci wrote:
Nicely done, Rukus! :applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

your welcome. its was ALL written by ME, and only ME! noone else helped AT ALL!. i was the only one involved in this project besides all the other mods, who pretty much did it all, and asked me to sticky it.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm

That's our rukus! :)

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:42 pm

One Eyed Leprachaun

:lol: :lol:

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:02 am

..............................................Image

Willis passed away on January 3, 2017.
He will be missed.

http://www.shannondale.org/community/index.php?threads%2F33408%2F

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks Rukus , thank you to everybody involved in putting together the help file and a special thank you to Dr. C . Slonim for his helpful contributions.

Top Top

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for the guidines grabbed some pre surgery ideas and things to do.
Kellie

April 12, 2012 for eviceration
after years of problems and 6 previous surgeries including to failed cornea transplants.
hook latch screen door 1985

april 12, 2012 eviceration

Top Top

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 am

Like Moby, I must have been looking at the forum with my blind eye-I missed your intro :?
Let me try to make up for the that fault by saying
...................Image
The tips ought to be a great help. When you're on the other side of the procedure, please check back with us.

Willis passed away on January 3, 2017.
He will be missed.

http://www.shannondale.org/community/index.php?threads%2F33408%2F

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi,
I am new to this. I will be getting my prothesis next week. But its supposed to be a fitting. Does it really take this long?

Top Top

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Phenomenal mr. Ruckus as I am trying to prepare myself mentally for this procedure. Thank you so much!!!! :idea: [/color]

Top Top

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 am

Wow Rukus that is awesome.

Beth

56/Woman
Eye damaged in a freak collision with the upper corner of a car door on a windless, perfect autumn day.
Enucleation June 2008

Top Top

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Wish I had known about this site before I had my surgery. I was so nauseated for a couple of days after the surgery and just thought it was due to the anaesthesia. So glad you guys have taken the time to put this out there so people can know what others have gone through.

Pam/F/48/Enucleation 2010

Top Top

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Pam1075 wrote:
Wish I had known about this site before I had my surgery. I was so nauseated for a couple of days after the surgery and just thought it was due to the anaesthesia. So glad you guys have taken the time to put this out there so people can know what others have gone through.

Pam/F/48/Enucleation 2010

The nausea can be due to the anesthesia as well. So, it's either, or both. Hope you are doing well now!

Detached retina 2009, right eye; evisceration March 2010

Top Top

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:05 am

Clean linens are great, but remember there may be a lot of seepage from the eye. I had a heck of a time scubbing the "eye treasures" out of my nice new sheets...

(BB to the eye when young, cataract, artificial lens, global rupture when 50 while playing basketball, 2nd artificial lens, detached retina, corneal transplant, corneal failure, evisceration scheduled for June, 2014.)

Top Top

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks for sharing .

Top Top

Mon May 18, 2015 4:40 pm

I have my evisceration in a week on the 26th of May. Thank you for this post. I came here looking for exactly this information.

Kate

37 years old

Running a wood shredder, metal went through my eye and lodged in my retina. The metal was found three months afterward. Four retinal detachments and six surgeries later I have a blind painful eye.

Top Top

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am

Now am going to share this with my brother who is going to have his sight surgery soon.

I hope all gonna be good! :?

Top Top

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Alex Meek wrote:

Now am going to share this with my brother who is going to have his sight surgery from Austin Vision Center soon. Heard its the best center for eye care!

I hope all gonna be good! :?

Nausea for a time after general anesthesia is very common. It takes as much as a week to get the anesthesia completely out of your system.

Detached retina 2009, right eye; evisceration March 2010

Top Top