Login | Register

Fri May 04, 2007 7:32 pm

I would definitely get a second opinion. If it's not causing you any pain and your able to wear your shells then there isn't really a need for Evisceration.

Definitely see another doctor.

Good luck!

Top Top

Sat May 05, 2007 12:45 am

Evil Genius

I face the same decision, I have a deformed eye and can't wear a shell, but I can't bring myself to do it. Guess I"m just not ready :(

Top Top

Mon May 07, 2007 2:39 pm

yeah I've decided that it's just not worth it at this point... I'm not gonna go through that for aesthetics.. so I'm gonna go get my shell and and call it a day!!!

Thanks GUYS!!

Top Top

Sat May 12, 2007 12:23 am

Looking at how artifical eyes are made can't help but be impressed
with how realistic the results of the top guys are.
They have a depth like a real eye(the iris looks to be set in eye rather than just painted on the top of the plastic) does a shell also look like this. As they must be very thin to fit over a blind eye.

Top Top

Sat May 12, 2007 12:27 am

Banaltra Banphrionsa

true shells are no different, they are on the acrylic the same way. The actual "depth" of the eye isnt important - its how the artist creates that "depth" by their painting ability.

Full prosthetics v shells - really the biggy there is the movement issue, and also, with regard to your point about "As they must be very thin to fit over a blind eye" thats exactly what I was saying to you in the other thread - most of the time shells are only offered to those with shrunken globes, like for instance Evisceration pt's, or those with Phthisis Bulbi or Microphthalmia.

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:42 am

I wrote in another topic the terrible pain I was going through trying to get used to the scleral shell. Well, the pain has gone in the last week and I am able to wear it for over 12 hours a day without pain, SUDDENLY the disconfort is gone!!! After 12 hours and not all nights there is a bit of irritation but nothing compares to what it was at the beginning. It's been a hard month and a half but I wanted to try and try because the thought of an op frightens me a lot so I decided to fight till know for sure if my eye was able or not and at this very moment I think the problem is getting over!!!!
I was even told for one or two doctors that my eye wouldn't accept a shell but I said to myself: what do I loss by trying?
I suppose that the fighting is not finished as I don't have the definitive shell which is going to be bigger than the one that I have now but this is a start, isn't it?
I would love to be an example for others to try the shell and not to get down after days and days of pain and disconfort and the stress that it causes...
Just want to remark that mine is a very sensitive eye, with calcium built on it, with bulla corneal and several scarfs from different ops from childhood, that is why it didn't made my a eye a good candidate for the scleral shell.
If anyone wants to ask me something or whatever I would be very happy to talk about it.
Anyway, sorry for my english. I am spanish and don't use it very often.
Besos desde España!!

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 am

Wonderful!!!!- Amy

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:23 am

Site Admin

yay! :lol:

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am

That's fantastic! :)

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Evil Genius

Awesome

Top Top

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:11 pm

This is a collection of posts from various scleral shell topic threads as of January 13, 2008.

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW