Login | Register

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 am

I am so irritated! I can do almost everything like someone with 2 good eyes except for the life of me, I cannot parallel park correctly! Any time I did it in the past, it's intuitively and takes me forever (getting in and out of my car to look and judge the distance. I can't do this in my new stomping grounds-LA), but I want some techniques so I don't have to be sweating bullets about nicking someone else's car. These days, I'm so afraid to do it, I'll just parking far away and walk.

Does anyone have any tips?

PS I practiced today at my brother's and got so frusterated at my lack of skills. I decided to back into my driveway when I got home to show I was capable of something

Top Top

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi; welcome to LE; greatpeople live here who will become friends.
I can't help with driving tips but if you do a search on the search bar there have been other threads and tips. I believe you can get some extra win or back mirrors that help/ Cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 am

I do it the same way I always did. You know, the whole hand on the passenger seat and turn half around technique. Maybe you should get a smaller car? I used to drive a diesel 3/4 ton truck everyday. I traded it for a 1/2 ton and it's a lot easier for me to maneuver.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:15 am

Born, I usually ride around block after block to find 2 or three empty and adjacent spots. I've been told the newer model cars with backup sensors help immensely. I wonder if AutoZone sells curb feelers?
......................................Image

Willis passed away on January 3, 2017.
He will be missed.

http://www.shannondale.org/community/index.php?threads%2F33408%2F

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:55 am

I think getting a smaller car helps or at least a car that is quite open at the back so you can see more, this helps especially in the dark. Additional mirrors help as well as assisted parking sensors.
However most of good parallel parking is "vehicle positioning".

1. Find a suitable parking space.
2 . If there is a car in front of the space you want to park in, position your car so it is parallel to the car in front of the space you want to reverse into making sure that you stop slightly in front of the other vehicle's wing mirror. (if both vehicles are a similar length)
3. Start to reverse paying attention to the side of the other car. If it is your blind side you have to turn your head more and keep looking in the rear view mirror.
4. As soon as the back of your car has reached the beginning of the parking space, or your back tyre is parallel with the back tyre of the vehicle to your side, turn your steering wheel and begin to manouvre your car into the space until your car is at an acute angle. Keep looking out for any other traffic, pedestrians crossing behind your car whilst you are reversing ,or cycles parked up near the pavement.
5. Now turn your steering lock so your car straightens up reversing a little more as your car slots into the parking spot.
6. Adjust the position of your car so that there is an equal amount of space to the car in front and behind so you don't risk getting blocked in. (I get blocked in a lot here because the other drivers do not pay attention to where they park their car or how the other vehicle is going to get out).

Practice if you can until you get the technique right then it should be easier. If you have a passenger with you use their extra eyes and ears.

This is a better explanation:-
http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/parallel-parking.php

Top Top

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:21 pm

When I was learning to drive, I had a friend who was coaching me. He happened to be the chair of the church board, which helped us do what we did:

We got one of the big huge trash barrels and sat it next to the curb of the parking lot to mimic the "front" car. He then stood as the "back" car, because the barrels weren't tall enough for me to see them in my mirror when they were behind me. With that set up, I just kept practicing.

And then after all that work, they didn't test me on it. I didn't quite know whether to be mad or grateful :lol:

If you don't learn to spin storm clouds until they're lined in silver, you'll drown in the rain.

Top Top

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:36 pm

If you absolutely must park parallel and extra mirrors are of no use to you ... INTELLIGENT PARKING ASSIST SYSTEM.
AWESOME.
VERY GEORGE JETSON! (if only the car would fly too ...)
Push a button and viola you are parallel parked. And yes, it really works.
This tech has been around since 2004 in Japan. Only more recently available in other countries.
Of course, it would require the purchase of a different vehicle ...
iPhone really should make an APP for parallel parking ...

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more cost effective.
Best of luck to you.
Nouska
8)

Top Top

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Do you have to parallel park? I look until I find a place where I can just pull in even if it means walking further. I used to love to parallel park because I was so good at it, but not now. I really don't like backing up out of places either because I'm afraid I'm missing seeing something like a person or someone else backing up behind me..in a parking lot.
Good answers here on this question. Trudy

Top Top

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I live in Los Angeles, so it would be to my advantage to be able to do so. I've lived here for a year being able to get around it most of the time in order to do the things I have to do: school, work, grocery, bank, etc. Finding the secret neighborhoods with good parking, knowing the times of day to do errands, etc.

However, because of this fear, haven't been able to get out as often as I want to-just because. It's a real pain to circle around Hollywood or Downtown because there is always a good amount of people in these areas. And valet is 10 bucks, or up to $20 on weekends. My social life is going kaput.

I've researched sensors www.parkingdynamics.com, I might have to invest in it.

I know I can do it! I won't give up!

Top Top

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 am

Hi. I've been driving an 18 wheeler as a monocular vision driver since 1997. I do have problems with depth perception when backing sometimes, especially at night. I like that you are practicing to be more skilled/confident.

Even being a professional driver I HATE having to parallel park my four wheeler; I just don't do it. But then again, I don't live in a big city.

You've gotten some good advice from the other posters. Just try and relax. I'm sure you will conquer it in no time.

Enucleation of left eye due to malignant melanoma 1/28/86

Top Top

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 am

Bornthisway,

I'm with Trudy - don't. If there are not some over-riding issues like security, park farther away and walk. I always tended to do that, but with one eye, I try hard to find a spot with few or no cars, and always try to back in or pick a spot where I can pull forward when I leave. It's a matter of safety for others as well.

It may not be an option for you, or may be impractical for some reason, but it saves aggrevation, and the extra walk is always good for you.

Michael

Top Top

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 am

Willis wrote:
Born, I usually ride around block after block to find 2 or three empty and adjacent spots. I've been told the newer model cars with backup sensors help immensely. I wonder if AutoZone sells curb feelers?
......................................Image

I also have never mastered parallel parking. I do what Willis does! I drive around until I find two spots and pull right in!! :-) If I'm going to a sporting event or somewhere else that's too busy to find parking I'll try to go very early or park in the lots. I have thought about the backup sensors but I'd worry about it glitching out and not warning me properly.

"Everybody's Different, Everybody's Special"

Top Top

Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, if you have trouble parallel parking, have some parking sensors fitted. BTW, you don't need to be monocular to have trouble parking. Best wishes, OV.

Top Top

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 am

Wide-Angle Side View Mirror. So easy, it feels like you're cheating.

Top Top

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm very intrigued by the wide angle side mirror thing. How much of the back of your car can you see?

I used to be able to parallel park fearlessly (early 20s), in a less crowded city while I was in college. it was mostly by intuition. But now, it's people honking at you right and left if you take your time to park, as I used to. I lost the confidence and the skill :(

I may go and practice with my boyfriend in the middle of the night when people aren't out and about.

Top Top

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:47 am

First - Aunt Lisa!!! Long time no read. Hope all is most excellent with you!

Second, tips. First tip, avoid it if you can as it causes stress. I even regular park far out in a lot because parking in general is the one aspect of driving I hate. I park far away and do what my kids call "pull in to a pull out" which means I park so that I never have to back out of a space. Now that my insurance company pays me a dollar for every day I walk 10,000 steps, I feel like I am killing two birds.

If I am driving into the city and have to parallel park, I take my newly licensed teenager. He has the most recent practice and can park that bugger like nobody's business. If you don't have a teenager available, but have a friend, you could have them get out and help direct you.

Top Top