Login | Register

Wed May 21, 2008 11:40 pm

I've been told that people with monocular vision have a provision on their Driver's license that limits their driving during the day only. Is this true?

I've also heard of people with only one good eye that have with no provisions on their licenses. I really don't know which is true. I think would be devastated if I had my California Driver's License be restricted to daytime driving only.

A few years ago I went in to surgery with a detached retina. Unfortunately, they said I heal too fast and the scar tissues pulled away the retina. I went in for another corrective surgery and the same thing happened. Basically, I can't see anything out of my LEFT eye. This is a great website!!! Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this matter!!!!
OneEyeBuddha from San Francisco California

Anyone know where in California where they are lenient on issuing a renewal for a one-eyed fellow? I'll make the DRIVE =)

Top Top

Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 am

I hope that is not true because that would be a real shame, I am from Illinois and the only restriction is that my vehicle that I drive must have two side mirrors which is no problem because I think all vehicles made now have two mirrors. Good luck, I am sure that someone on this site will have the answer for you. Also, welcome to this site. You will love it here,
Yvonne

Top Top

Thu May 22, 2008 2:51 am

The California DMV knows I'm monocular and there is no provisions of when I can drive, although laws change all the time so I can't say this will be the case forever, or the case right now, for that matter.

Top Top

Thu May 22, 2008 4:15 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi OneEyedBuddha; can't help with the licence cos I'm in Australia; but welcome to the group; you will get a lot of advice on problems or eye related issues; and also some fun; enjoy being here; we all do; Cheers Vera

Top Top

Thu May 22, 2008 4:17 am

There is no such restriction in California, see http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/driversafety/vision_table.pdf on page 5.18

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 am

I'm in Oregon. Our requirements are left side view mirror if no vision in left eye, good eye must be correctable to 20/40 and 110 degrees of perifrial (spelling?) vision. I will get a mirror restriction on my license next time I renew. I work for Oregon DMV as a programmer but originally came from the business side. We do not normally restrict night driving unless someone has a specific problem with it. If for instance law enforcement reported someone for a re-exam and it was discovered they were in fact unable to see well enough at night (regardless if they have one or two eyes) then a daylight driving only restriction might be added. The restriction applies to specific cases.

There's probably no problem just call California DMV and ask them then you will know for sure and not have to worry about it any more. They probably have a toll free number and you don't need to give your name. They may even have an email address you can submit questions to.
Janelle

Top Top

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:48 pm

I had no problems with my license in California. I don't drive at night because I have night blindness, but they never restricted my license. I just received my new renewal through the mail. If you have no violations they will send you a renewed license through the mail when its time to renew. I'm good untill 2013. But the renewals always scare me, because you never know what law or rule they'll come up with.

Top Top