Login | Register

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:14 pm

I swear, it's just one thing after another. I got tackled in a bar about two months ago, and messed up my knee pretty badly. It wasn't malicious or anything like that. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...story of my life! Being not a huge fan of doctors and hospitals after my whole eye ordeal, I decided to just brace it and figured out how to walk on it without hurting it (couldn't straighten it). Well, things were fine. I continued to work (I do masonry in the summer, so it's pretty physical work). Friday night, I played in a golf tournament with a bunch of my friends. The beers were flowing, and someone decided that it would be a good idea to jerk the wheel on our golf cart. Sure enough, I got thrown out and landed directly on my bad knee. I didn't get up. It swoll to the size of a bowling ball, and I couldn't walk. My friends carried me to the bar, because I refused to go to the hospital. Drinking it off didn't work this time. I finally caved and went to the doctor. They said surgery is likely, and I have the MRI this afternoon.

To top things off, I had a little get together at the river on our ranch last night. I was propped up on a chair with my knee up on another one. It was dark, and someone threw a bottle at me expecting me to catch it. Of course, I wasn't paying any attention, and it nailed me right in my bad eye. It hurt pretty bad, but I didn't worry too much about it because I can't see out of it anyhow. I thought that it was just tears running down my face, but then I wiped them to realize that it was blood flowing out from behind my prosthesis. I don't want to take it out to look, because I have a feeling that there is some sort of laceration back there. I woke up this morning, and my eye was glued shut with dried blood. I'm to the point where I just think I should live in a damn bubble. It seems to be one thing after another. This is the fourth year in a row where I will have to meet the deductible on my health insurance. I quit! I apologize for all of the whining, but I just needed to vent!

Leanne

Hold my eye and watch this!

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Not sure what to say other than I feel like I know you through lost eye and I do hope it will all work out. Thanks for sharing and please continue to share all your upcoming news.
:shock:

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Evil Genius

Wow and I thought I had a monopoly on bad luck :(

Hope U feel better soon kiddo

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Sounds like you could use some better friends who are more mature....friends who think before they do such stupid stunts. Since losing my vision in my right eye I have a really hard time catching anything that's coming my way...everyone pretty much knows not to even bother throwing anything my way rather to carry it over. I can't play baseball anymore either because my perception is so far off.

good luck....hopefully you don't need surgery! If so, your "friends should pay for it"

Cher
:?

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:22 pm

I hope you will tell your friends to be more careful in future. It may have been 'fun' to them, but you ended up hurt and that wasn't fun. You should maybe get your eye checked in case theres more damange than you think. Especially if it was a glass bottle.

Good luck!

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Geez, that sounds like a string of pretty serious injuries. You should certainly get that eye socket checked out.

Get well!

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:45 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Leanne; WOW!! crappy days; but I agree with others your "friends"should be more careful what if the bottle had hit your good eye!!! Take care and I hope things get better real soon; cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:19 am

Well, the verdict on the knee is in. A torn ACL and a torn lateral meniscus. It certainly wouldn't be my life if the injury was something simple! Thanks to everyone for your kind words. Just one of those frustrating things. Back to surgery!

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:10 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi: good luck with the leg and surgery; how is your eye? cheers vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi Leanne,

First, if you don't mind me saying, the picture of you is beautiful! What a great model for us who have lost an eye!

Second, WOW! what a story! You really are getting a lot of things happening to you!

Third, how is your eye now? Hope your leg gets better!

Fourth, boy, I hate to get into this mode...so hard for me not to be the old fogey giving life advice. I guess that's what happens when you get into your 40's! I'll try to contain myself. I think it is great that you have friends to go out and have fun! There are always consequences in the type of friends you choose. Some are good, and some are bad. If this is the lifestyle you want and want friends that are reckless with drinking, then you choose the consequences.

Me, in my younger years, lived a quiet boring life. Consequences is I didn't get a lot of bad things happen. So I'm the opposite extreme of you. I should have gotten out more and been mroe active. But I have to live with my consquences for the life I did live and can change that now, to live the life that I want, which is to be a bit more active. Certianly not reckless. If you want to live a more careful life, you have control over this, just like I need to "get a life" Maybe you and I can meet each other some where in the middle??? SMILE! Really, I get people thinking I'm in my late 20's or early to mid 30's. People do not think I'm in my 40's, so I have liven up a bit ;-)

I hope you heal well! Keep us posted!

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:59 pm

The eye is decent. A bit of minor bruising on the upper lid, but it hasn't been bleeding. I pulled the prosthesis out, and the implant didn't appear to be extruding, so I think I'm ok.

It's funny to hear you all talking about my friends. I guess I just never think of it much. I grew up in a podunk, Montana town, and we never really seemed to have much to do. We were always conjuring up crazy ideas like taking canoes off of snowy cliffs, jumping on the river in rafts in the middle of the night, and diving off of bridges. I guess, to some, it may seem reckless, but I just never really thought about it. In fact, my eye loss was another somewhat reckless accident. It's the way I grew up, and I'm somewhat of a thrill seeker. Maybe its time to consider the fact that I AM monocular, and I've had a pretty large amount of serious injuries in my life. Everyone has to reap what they sow, I suppose. Thanks again to you all, and I'll keep you posted.
Leanne

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Evil Genius

Leanne,
It makes sense that you are somewhat a thrill seeker, you are young yet, Most people I know in their early 20's are like that to some degree or another,

However, considering that you are monocular, perhaps wearing some clear plano glasses may be a good idea? that way if anotehr beer bottle comes your way you won't have as much an issue :) I will freely admit that despite having worked in the fashion industry, I don't know jack squat about fashion, but I know you can get some really purty glasses these days, highly fashionable..

Just my 0.02, glad to hear your eye is ok,,,sucks about the knee tho :(

Top Top

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Site Admin

i hate knees. well, mostly my left one.
had a torn PCL, damaged ACL, shredded cart. i had surgery dec. 05 to replace the pcl.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top