Login | Register

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:54 am

With only one eye, I guess as much as I've felt hurt and segregated from the rest of the world, I also think it engendered who I am today, and my personality makes me special and unique. That sentence sounds much less of my usual gloom and doom. There was always a special comfort to thinking I have a somewhat unique life experience, and as much as I wanted to find other people with a similar problem to relate to, I suppose I never actually wanted to seek them out.

I won't go into details except I was born with vision in only one eye, the other having no pupil or areola, and for whatever reason my parents decided to get that eye removed and get my ocular prosthetic. But the past has passed, although admittedly I still dwell on these issues. It's a part of who I am, though, if I don't think too much I'm probably not thinking at all. I usually never make introductory posts in forums but Mr. Jay Adkisson suggested I do in my activation email, and I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Top Top

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 pm

Drerell...Welcome to the forum....you will find lots of support here, theres even a place where one can vent. everyone pretty much here has done that at one time or another. If you have any questions feel free to ask most likly someone has experienced it and can help first hand. I had my right eye Enucleated back in March, I found this forum the month before I was having it, this place was not only helpful but supportive and just about held my hand along the way, people even checked up with me on the side by checking in with my daughter.the people here are so awesome! Again Welcome....Kendra :D

Top Top

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Site Admin

Welcome to the community here.
We always enjoy having new members find us, and an intro post is a great way for us to get together. at the top of the General Discussion forum there is a sticky of Intro posts. You may want to take a read through there.

If you have any questions or concerns on the use of this forum, please private message me.

if speed doesn't scare you, the truck around the corner will

Top Top

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:47 pm

Hey Drerell,

Yeah, Kendra is right...one time or another we have shared our thoughts here.

I have no idea how it feels to have someone else decide to have your eye removed, but I'm sure your parents really thought they were doing the best for you. I had my eye removed 5 weeks tomorrow and I do not regret it. In fact, I had no idea how bad it was bothering me until it was removed.

Welcome and I do hope you share more!

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:31 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi: glad u introduced yourself; u will find that the people here are caring and sharing and helpful; I had melanoma in my left eye at 40; then lots of other eye problems; and then it was removed when I was 48; u will read lots of one-eye stories on this site; and again welcome; cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Hello and Welcome,

I'm sure your experience was unique. No one has had exactly the same history but I'm sure that's only part of what makes you special. Welcome again - Amy

PS Had your folks kept the blind eye, you would be facing a different set of challenges. Neither choice is a good one
(just my 2 cents)

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Drerell,
Welcome to the forum.

Top Top

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:23 pm

just wanted to welcome you to the forum there are lots of lovely people here and im glad i found it a month ago, my son zack lost his eye to cancer

take care
\ayesha

Top Top

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 am

Welcome friend. :D

Top Top