Login | Register

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:49 am

Just wanted to update and let all that wonder whats up with me that the infection is still on going and I'm off to Durham for the second trip Wed. coming. The doctor basically did an examination and this is a continuation. I personally think this second opinion my surgeon wants is a waste of time as for the drops for this particular strain still aren't working. It appears to me the implant must come out and honestly I'm ready and can't take this crap much longer. There's no way he can perform a skin graft to cover the exposure as long as the infection is present. And as long as the infection remains resistant to medication it most likely is in the implant itself and most of time has to be removed. These freaking doctors are getting on my nerves and don't realize the bull I put up with everyday with the consistent itching, eyelids drying shut to the point of having to wash them to make them open, the constant excessive drainage running down my cheek if not wiped, not to mention the crusty gross eyelids that's always present. I won't even talk about how sore the freaking implant and the lids are, sigh. I swear I feel like taking my bowie hunting knife and reliving myself of this torment by removing the implant myself. The freaking doctors seem to be procrastinating to me. In the meantime I wonder if this infection can spread through my bloodstream and cause other major probs??? I also have fears of my good eye getting infected.

On the flip side, I've excelled as stated before at work with sales and I received my small marble plaque with my name and sales numbers for August and Agent of the Month inscribed. I also was given a copy of the co. magazine with my name as no.17 in the co. for that mth. All this is great, though I really only care about the money, recognition is fine, this is what bothers me: In our office as you walk in there is a clear glass window where our clients pay and to the right a wooden plaque with gold name plates listing Agents of the Month along with the current person's picture. The district manager made a joke about not wanting to put a pirates picture up because it might scare the clients and I chuckled as well thinking no big deal. After a week into the mth. I reminded him of the picture and told him I could wear my sunglasses, he responded with an, 'Ok.' This is all I've heard and it's now the 17th and my picture should've been up the first week. He's not going to put it up apparantly. I feel bad enough I have to wear this damn patch and this makes me feel even worse. I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he didn't want a photo with a patch up. I'm a firm believer in 'what comes around goes around' and this is no exception. I already tried once and I'm not saying anything else, let him be that way, whatever. I'm more concerned about this upcoming surgery then anything anyway, I just don't like being treated differently because of my eye problem. We live in such an appearance conscious society it makes me sick to my stomach as I type this thinking of how we're judged. :(

Top Top

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 am

I felt sorry while reading your post, you must be having a hard time dealing with all this. I can imagine myself getting depressed if I were in your shoes. The trouble the implant causes requires for someone to comfort and support you. In stead you have to put up with let downs at work. It takes a lot of energy to deal with thes issues. I'll be thinking and praying for you that this will work out so that at least your eye/implant will be ok again. Can I ask what kind of implant you have ? I have silikon and I imagine that it's soft material. After reading about the trouble some of you are having with the socket and implant I now understand my eyedoctor. Before my enucluation he said that this kind of surgery needs to be done by clever doctors. He knew a couple and he would make sure that one of them did the job. When I went to polish my prothesis last week my prothesis maker said my socket looked really nica and told me that lots of people had trouble with ulcers, implants and so on. So far I've been fortunate.
Ronnie - I'm sending you a big good morning hug and I'll be thinking about you. Best of luck.
Marie :knuddel:

Top Top

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:59 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Ronnie; sorry that life is still a roller coaster; even when u have good news (agent of the month) some Pr**K still screws around; but keep thinking about the money!! :lol: it will help with the eye!! and other financials; and if the boss wants to be petty well let him!! like u said karma is a great thing!!! what u sow is what u reap!! U have lots of friends here so u dont need his friendship but I know it would be nice if he was a nicer boss!! Again congratulations on your achievement at work; we admire u!! I used to be a Loss Assessor so I know how driven the Insurance Business can be; Keep up your sales at work and maybe next month u will achieve top marks again; routing for u!! cheers Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:16 am

Hey Buddy, Glad you're still doing well at work, Take Vera's advice and don't let the prick get you down. Your infection will clear you'll get a new eye and live a happy prosperous life............. He however will always be a prick :lol:

What comes around does come around bro, he'll get his

Take care mate

Andy

Male
in the 25-32 bracket (Just) ;)
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:14 am

Marie wrote:
I felt sorry while reading your post, you must be having a hard time dealing with all this. I can imagine myself getting depressed if I were in your shoes. The trouble the implant causes requires for someone to comfort and support you. In stead you have to put up with let downs at work. It takes a lot of energy to deal with thes issues. I'll be thinking and praying for you that this will work out so that at least your eye/implant will be ok again. Can I ask what kind of implant you have ? I have silikon and I imagine that it's soft material. After reading about the trouble some of you are having with the socket and implant I now understand my eyedoctor. Before my enucluation he said that this kind of surgery needs to be done by clever doctors. He knew a couple and he would make sure that one of them did the job. When I went to polish my prothesis last week my prothesis maker said my socket looked really nica and told me that lots of people had trouble with ulcers, implants and so on. So far I've been fortunate.
Ronnie - I'm sending you a big good morning hug and I'll be thinking about you. Best of luck.
Marie :knuddel:

Marie your very kind and thank you so much for the prayer and morning hug. :) I really need it for sure! I have a Med Pore implant which I originally thought was a coral implant. I'm not sure how I got mixed up on this. The whole time I thought it was a Coral implant and recently he stated it was a Med Pore. Take care and thanks once again and I'm very glad to here your situation is fine for you. I wish you all the best and a smooth run with your implant. Remember I had mine in for 6 yrs before a problem occurred so I guess at least I got some 'mileage' off of the damn thing before it choked, lol.

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi Ronnie; sorry that life is still a roller coaster; even when u have good news (agent of the month) some Pr**K still screws around; but keep thinking about the money!! :lol: it will help with the eye!! and other financials; and if the boss wants to be petty well let him!! like u said karma is a great thing!!! what u sow is what u reap!! U have lots of friends here so u dont need his friendship but I know it would be nice if he was a nicer boss!! Again congratulations on your achievement at work; we admire u!! I used to be a Loss Assessor so I know how driven the Insurance Business can be; Keep up your sales at work and maybe next month u will achieve top marks again; routing for u!! cheers Vera

I do appreciate your consoling me once again Vera. Seems you've had to do it a lot lately. Always some prick isn't it? lol. Good thinking, once the money rolls in I can have some fun! Indeed, karma can be a bitch! One thing though, everyone else thinks he's an asshole to, even clients, lol. Cool, so you really do know how demanding and stressful the insurance business is. Thanks for the cheers and I'm so glad to have friends like you in my corner. Take care and have a great day and I also wish you success with all your endeavers. :)

Andy wrote:
Hey Buddy, Glad you're still doing well at work, Take Vera's advice and don't let the prick get you down. Your infection will clear you'll get a new eye and live a happy prosperous life............. He however will always be a prick :lol:

What comes around does come around bro, he'll get his

Take care mate

Andy

Andy you always make me laugh! :lol: You really have a great way of looking at things and your right, I will eventually heal but his prickness will carry on, lol. Thanks so much mate, you take care and I hope life goes well for ya.

Top Top

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:28 pm

I wouldn't let that idiot get to you. He's obviously a cold hearted person, unlike you! Hopefully you will get that infection cleared up soon. Maybe a stronger anti-biotic is needed?

Hope things improve for you soon!

Keep smiling. Best wishes,
Tina

Top Top

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:23 pm

If your infection hasn't cleared up by now, sounds like the infection is inside the implant and will require removal. I'm really surprised the surgeons haven't done something by now. I'm not sure if this infection could possibly cross over to your good eye, but I would certainly be concerned. Congrats on overcoming all obstacles and achieving your goals during this trying time in your life.. :)

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:12 am

Tina wrote:
I wouldn't let that idiot get to you. He's obviously a cold hearted person, unlike you! Hopefully you will get that infection cleared up soon. Maybe a stronger anti-biotic is needed?

Hope things improve for you soon!

Keep smiling. Best wishes,
Tina

Awww very sweet of ya Tina! Yes he's quite a character and actually brags saying he's a ruthless man. Unfortunately no hope for that as I will find out tomorrow the date of the enucleation for next month. Life goes on, ty and you keep smiling to kind lady. :)

Ronnie

joyce wrote:
If your infection hasn't cleared up by now, sounds like the infection is inside the implant and will require removal. I'm really surprised the surgeons haven't done something by now. I'm not sure if this infection could possibly cross over to your good eye, but I would certainly be concerned. Congrats on overcoming all obstacles and achieving your goals during this trying time in your life.. :)

Joyce,
Yes I figured this from the start, amazing the doctors dragged it on this long. Even with the enucleation probably around 3- 4 weeks away it's not soon enough and I wish it was this week. So far my good eye seems to be fine. Thanks for the kind words, they really mean a lot. :)

Ronnie

UPDATE::::::My fears were as I thought as you've read and I posed a lot of questions to this surgeon who really does seem to be one fine doctor. He spoke of the possibility of doing a skin graft from my scalp :cry: (small incision?? yikes), because of this being an enucleation depending on the specific circumstances that won't be apparent until he's able to see the implant itself. He explained how currently since I had an evisceration which leaves some of the former parts that may all have to be removed thus the need for the graft. He explained a solid implant that might have to be implanted versus a porous one and MY NEXT BIG FEAR :cry: that I may not get the full movement as with the current setup being this is an enucleation. I will have some movement though. This makes me very depressed, and I can't put into words how bad I feel about this. Next the really scary thing he told me was that there is, though rare, a possibility that infection might spread to my brain when dealing with the socket area even though this surgery is to remove infection. This totally freaked me out. Lastly he spoke of the usual anesthesia risks of not waking up and I gave them permission to do whatever would be necessary to revive me. Also I was asked if a blood transfusion was necessary was it ok and I agreed. Wow I feel very creeped out right now. I've made arrangements with my Mom in case all goes south, so to speak, lol. Hopefully it will go ok.

The other thing that makes me sad is how long I'm going to be wearing this damn patch. I've calculated it to be for at least 3-4 more months using the surgery time and the healing time. Not to mention, that the ocularist made the new eye knowing full well I had an infection along with major eye cavity redness. So I now have a bill with a balance due of $678.00 of an eye that I wasn't able to wear and a new mold will have to be made. I will be calling him and trying to work out something. The doctors have also agreed it shouldn't have been made to begin with. In my opinion, I think he figured it was a 50/50 proposition and that the drops would've cleared up the infection. I still consider him to be a fantastic prosthetic maker, he just made a bad decision.

I will keep all of you posted with the progress. I hate surgery, get sick from the anesthesia and not to mention, pain pills make me sick, sigh. Definitely not looking forward to the process but the outcome I hold on to. This is one of those times I wish I wasn't alone at this point in my life. It's easier going through this when you have a loving woman living with you side by side. My Mom said she might stay with me a couple of days to help out. God love Mom, shes a gem. Take care all. Sorry so long, late and I couldn't sleep.

Ronnie

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:18 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Ronnie!! SHIT!! I wish u all the best with the next few months!! I guess it will be more ups and downs for a while!
I wish u all t he best with the op; no one likes to have more of them; pLEASE try to stay positive and I'm really glad your mum will be with you; u r lucky there! PM me and I'll tell u y! good luck Vera

She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:12 pm

Best of luck with the op Ronnie. Hopefully you will feel much better afterwards. Glad your mum is going to help out.

Take is easy petal and good luck!

We'll all be thinking of you!

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:00 pm

HI Ronnie,

My goodness.....I really hope all goes well with your surgery. You do have a lot on your mind and hopefully you can find something to relax you. Glad to read that you are doing well with sales! Sorry you have a prick to work around. I've had those, and it can be hard and challenging to know how to handle such a situation. Wish I could go to the guy for you and just say, "Oh for crying out load GET REAL!" And...I thought in my native area of Southern California was SUPERFICIAL with our Hollywood plastic!!!!! I just moved to Utah and they are much less superficial!

Hang in there dude! You are doing great! - Christy

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Good luck ma man, Seems like a choppy journey ahead for ya but at least it's all for a purpose and one thats being long coming at that, sometimes You have to take the rough with the smooth as they say.

Try to put the bad what mights to the back of your mind and focus on the good points, 6 Month from now and it could all be over and back to normality, I'll not be able to rib you for looking like a pirate (Aaargh) The smelly infection will be a distant memory and that toss pot might let you have your ugly mug on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol:

And remember Ronny, ur never alone brother, we've all been through this crap (about 15 ops under my belt, had to be revived twice :wink: implants never seemed to want to take, infections, headaches etc etc :sleep: ) So this may be the only place you can vent or come for much needed sympathy (unless it regards tennis :) )and you have friends who actually understand you and what you're going through without relating your pain to the last time they had flu or a hip replacement.
It's a great forum, I'm glad I found it.

Take care buddy and good luck,

Andy

Personally though, I'd be more concerned about this skin graft from the scalp!!!! Will your hair grow back, will it show when you go bald, These are the important questions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Male
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Ronnie:

Damn. So sorry to hear of your newest set of challenges. Are you having the surgery done at UNC? The pre-op, OR and recovery room nurses know me by name over there at this point which is pretty sad in itself, but they all were wonderful. As bad as any surgery is, they all really did a great job of making all of them go smoothly. Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist about your past problems with becoming sick from the anesthesia, he or she may be able to make some adjustments to make things better for you. I was scared to death before each one of my surgeries although I never let my wife know. All I could think about is not waking up and never seeing my wife or son again. It's natural to be scared, and the doctors have to tell you about the risks, however small they might be. Hang in there man, things will get better for you.

Kevin

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Geez Ronnie,
Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. Your doctor told you every possible horrible thing that could go wrong. I always get the surgeons that wait and fill me in AFTER the operation. Sometimes I don't know which is better.

I don't like anethesia either, I once talked my eye doctor into letting me stay awake for a 4 hour eye operation. They give you something to keep you "relaxed". I'm sure it was an error in judgement but I loved leaving the hospital without carrying something to throw up in, for a change.

Do you have a surgery date? I hope it's soon so you don't have to deal with all this stress much longer.

Take care,
Amy

ps Your District Manager is a poor excuse of a human being.

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:00 pm

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Ronnie; I really hope u r having a better day today!!
Was just wondering why you would have to wait so long for a new eye???? I thought the average time was 6-8 weeks after eye removed!! Good Luck and don't let the turkeys get u down; it's a nice sunny day in Melbourne so I'm going to pour a glass of wine; get my book and get in my hammock play some jazz music and have a nice afternoon; Cheers Vera

She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:36 am

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi Ronnie!! SHIT!! I wish u all the best with the next few months!! I guess it will be more ups and downs for a while!
I wish u all t he best with the op; no one likes to have more of them; pLEASE try to stay positive and I'm really glad your mum will be with you; u r lucky there! PM me and I'll tell u y! good luck Vera

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi Ronnie; I really hope u r having a better day today!!
Was just wondering why you would have to wait so long for a new eye???? I thought the average time was 6-8 weeks after eye removed!! Good Luck and don't let the turkeys get u down; it's a nice sunny day in Melbourne so I'm going to pour a glass of wine; get my book and get in my hammock play some jazz music and have a nice afternoon; Cheers Vera

Thanks Vera for your support, indeed up and down, lol. I will try to stay positive and I'm so glad my Mom wants to help. She's a great lady whom I love dearly. I timed out when the surgery would take place along with the recovery time of the 6-8 wks. Surgery isn't going to be for 3-4 wks also but I haven't found out the exact date yet. I'm calling them tomorrow to see why they haven't let me know. 3 cheers to the wine, the hammock and the jazz!! :) Sounds great, you have a lovely night now.

Tina wrote:
Best of luck with the op Ronnie. Hopefully you will feel much better afterwards. Glad your mum is going to help out.

Take is easy petal and good luck!

We'll all be thinking of you!

Thanks Tina, as long as it goes well I should though I do remember when the eye was removed I felt an extreme amount of pain for days. It's all coming back to me now how crappy I felt then but I did smoke cigarettes and I've quit like 6 mths. ago. This should help in shortening the recovery time. I'm glad she's going to help also. I will try to take it easy, cheers. Your support along with others here means the world to this lonely man.

care4k9 wrote:
HI Ronnie,

My goodness.....I really hope all goes well with your surgery. You do have a lot on your mind and hopefully you can find something to relax you. Glad to read that you are doing well with sales! Sorry you have a prick to work around. I've had those, and it can be hard and challenging to know how to handle such a situation. Wish I could go to the guy for you and just say, "Oh for crying out load GET REAL!" And...I thought in my native area of Southern California was SUPERFICIAL with our Hollywood plastic!!!!! I just moved to Utah and they are much less superficial!

Hang in there dude! You are doing great! - Christy

Christy,
I love your dog picture! I have a few myself and they are my kids basically, lol. Your right about not knowing what to do, I have no energy to fight the prick. You made me laugh with the mental pic of you telling him that, thanks. I agree, we indeed live in a superficial world. Glad to hear it's not as bad in Utah as it was in California. I will keep on keeping on and I do appreciate your caring.

Andy wrote:
Good luck ma man, Seems like a choppy journey ahead for ya but at least it's all for a purpose and one thats being long coming at that, sometimes You have to take the rough with the smooth as they say.

Try to put the bad what mights to the back of your mind and focus on the good points, 6 Month from now and it could all be over and back to normality, I'll not be able to rib you for looking like a pirate (Aaargh) The smelly infection will be a distant memory and that toss pot might let you have your ugly mug on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol:

And remember Ronny, ur never alone brother, we've all been through this crap (about 15 ops under my belt, had to be revived twice :wink: implants never seemed to want to take, infections, headaches etc etc :sleep: ) So this may be the only place you can vent or come for much needed sympathy (unless it regards tennis :) )and you have friends who actually understand you and what you're going through without relating your pain to the last time they had flu or a hip replacement.
It's a great forum, I'm glad I found it.

Take care buddy and good luck,

Andy

Personally though, I'd be more concerned about this skin graft from the scalp!!!! Will your hair grow back, will it show when you go bald, These are the important questions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy,
Your first sentence is true and how I'm trying to look at this whole mess. Lol on the ribbing of the pirate thing. Your right, I want this smelly infection to end and I'm not sure what a toss pot is, but I laughed like hell when I read it and I will take your word that he is one! Honestly, I don't want my damn picture up, lol, just the principle. Just give me the check! :D

My goodness bro you've been through a helluva lot of operations, way more then my pending one which makes only 4 for me. I feel like a whiner at this point. Thanks for sharing those facts of your life. Man I'm so glad they were able to revive you and that we can communicate via this board. I love your attitude my friend :) and I to am glad I found this forum.

EEEKS!!!! I'm concerned about that damn skin graft to! I've shaved my head clean a few times and don't need any scars showing! He said it was a small incision but small to him will be large to me! CRAP! I did ask if he had to shave the side of my head and he said no. I envision stitches on the side of my cranium, yuck. Oh well, hope it doesn't have to happen but I won't know until I wake up of the outcome. I'm looking more like Frankenstein everyday lol :) Take care

lerxst2112 wrote:
Ronnie:

Damn. So sorry to hear of your newest set of challenges. Are you having the surgery done at UNC? The pre-op, OR and recovery room nurses know me by name over there at this point which is pretty sad in itself, but they all were wonderful. As bad as any surgery is, they all really did a great job of making all of them go smoothly. Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist about your past problems with becoming sick from the anesthesia, he or she may be able to make some adjustments to make things better for you. I was scared to death before each one of my surgeries although I never let my wife know. All I could think about is not waking up and never seeing my wife or son again. It's natural to be scared, and the doctors have to tell you about the risks, however small they might be. Hang in there man, things will get better for you.

Kevin

Kevin,
Yeah the misery continues, lol. Yes the surgery is going to be at UNC although they haven't gave me the exact date yet. Thanks for helping me feel more secure about the staff. That's a very good thing you said for me to mention about me getting sick from the anesthesia. I definitely will bring it up and see if they can do anything to help. I remember when I used to be married I never shared how scared I really was when I had those 3 surgeries myself. They totally shocked me with the though rare, but infection to the brain thing. I wonder how many people actually get this? I Hope I don't end up being one of the statistics, sigh.Thanks for your concern and you hang in there to Kevin. And by the way, great to know a medical research scientist. When something big does happen as far as restoring our sight, don't forget me and sign me up. Take care.

Top Top

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toss-pot

Mate, no more Aargh jokes but I've plenty of the frankenstein ones lol EGOR!!!!!

You seem in much better spirits bro and you know by the response were all rooting for ya.

Take care matey

Andy

Male
Getting better with age

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:18 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Ronnie; how"s it going!!?!?! any decisions? did u make sales person of the month again?? I hope so; cheers Vera

She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:47 am

Irish_In_Oz wrote:
Hi Ronnie; how"s it going!!?!?! any decisions? did u make sales person of the month again?? I hope so; cheers Vera

Hey Vera, thanks for inquiring :) Sales are ok, didn't make the AOM this time, no biggie. My surgery is set for Oct. 11th and I'm ready yet weary of having it done at the same time. My socket and surrounding area is very sore and I'm longing for relief. Funny, we have to feel pain to get relief from pain. Anyway take care, think about this poor old bastard going under the knife and I will think of how kind you are of always wondering about me and my life. Hope your doing well :)

Top Top

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:47 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Ronnie; not long to go now; u r in the home straight!! Good luck leading up to op and after; is your mum still coming? that will be a relief I'm sure; all well here; our footy final was yesterday and Geelong (Victoria) team won so all of Victorians thrilled to bits; great game for Geelong they beat the other team by 119 points almost 20 goals; 99,000 at the game; and millions watching on TV; yes; we at No:13 had a footy party (most Aussies) do; fun day!! How much time off work will you need??? cheers Vera

She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top