Login | Register

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:24 pm

My doctor has adviced me to go for prosthesis a couple of months ago but I am not able get confident. Right now , I am wearing sunglasses(even at night) . My hubby is very positive to get any other treatment and says he has no problems with my sunglasses and is not at all in favor of prosthesis coz he says atleast my bad (now whitish in color) eye moves same as other eye. He feels it would be more uncomforatable for me when one eye will react and other eye wont and I can loose my confidence due to this. I know, my confidence depends only on me but I get very confused that what if all he is saying comes true? Am I going to regret later after doing prosthesis? Would I need to mention about my eye to each new person I meet coz my eyes will look different ? Wont I be able to look as normal again in my life or would I need to wear sunglasses even to hide that thingy? All this may be sounding silly but all these qns always pops up in my mind nowadays and they are pushing me away from doing prosthesis done.
I had my marriage just one year ago and did not even totally come out of the bliss of newly married life . Unfortunately, this new problem occured and now , I am thinking - is it too early for me to have prosthesis( as my hubby is saying) or there is no use wasting time and I must get my prosthesis done.My hubby , my parents, my close ones have left the decision on me but they say I must not regret later that I have done a hurry and I should not have gone for prosthesis.These words really make me weak and stop.
I am discussing a lot with my doctor and they have suggested me for evisceration with an implant but I think implant really creates lot of infection and I wont be able to have that- Happily ever after feeling after having a implant . Is it really so?
Furthur, now the doctor says - if I dont do anything , my eyes may shrink or bulge out in future(not so sure). But if I have evisceration , can my eyes bulge or shrink later.
Waiting for ur response to help me decide better.
Cheers,
Navya

Top Top

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 pm

From what I understand (and those who have had the eviseration will correct me, I'm sure), you're prosthesis would be a shell over what is left of your eye, therefore, I would think (and again, I'm sure the other member will gently correct me if I'm mistaken), a shell has wonderful movement. I had an enucleation (removal of the whole eye) and I finally have a full prosthesis that moves (I am told) really well.

I hope this is helpful.

DJ

Top Top

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:29 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Navya; I 'm also like DJ; I had my eye removed (enucliation) and have a prosthetic eye; I have not no infections or trouble and it looks good too; I have up/down and left/right movement ; can I suggest you make an appointment with occulist (eye maker) and ask him to if you can see patients who have already been fitted with a false eye then you can see how it looks in the face and how it moves; best wishes; Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:12 pm

Hey Vera and DJ...Ur words give me confidence.

Vera, I am also eager to see some patients but unfortunately not able to do so. You are right, all the queries will be half done once I meet anybody.I have started pushing my doctor for that.:)

One thing Vera, you have had enucleation and have considerable movement as well. I had an impression that enucleation has lesser or no eye movement but this is comforting to hear.
I am sorry if I am hurting the feelings but just clearing my concepts out of curiousity.

Take care,
Navya

Top Top

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:15 am

One Eyed Leprachaun

Hi Navya: I think (?) depending on the damage to the eye before it is removed makes a big difference in movement; I had a few operations (5) but I still have good movement with false eye; keep asking your doctor to see or meet other people I think it would help a lot; Best wishes; Vera

Irish_in_Oz passed away on Februaruy 26, 2016.
She will be missed.
--
rukus

Top Top

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:41 am

Just to give you the other side of the story, I had no problem with my eye when it was removed (apart from a tumour) but rejected implants and further surgery have resulted in my having almost no movement of the prosthesis. I am not concerned about it overly much but then as Jay said, the alternative to losing my eye was death so I am grateful for what I've got.

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 am

Navya,

I had an enucleation and have a prosthetic eye, no implant. My eye moves quite a bit, not full range but after I have learned to move my neck to the direction I look I think it would be hard to notice the lack of eye movement. Yes, the eye is sunken to some extent but I camouflage it by wearing tinted glasses, which is not as obvious as sunglasses.

What I have gathered on this site I see that people seem to have many problems with the implant. And I am also in understanding that a damaged eye will eventually shrink so wearing a shell might be a temporary solution. However I cannot say for sure that an artificial eye is better, because there are many people who are happy with their shells, on the top of sick eye or implant. But I think that an artificial eye without implant requires less maintenance, in a sense, because one does not need to worry about the implant.

And after all, if your sick eye look unsightly, every other option but keeping it does not make things worse, whether it is an implant or without. Even a patch looks better than a damaged eye, one has to get used to it and accept that other people (the onlookers) are not really interested in your artificial eye or a patch. I wear a patch quite often and find that in public it does not make people to react in any way at all and less does the artificial eye because some detect, some do not and those who detect, detect only that the symmetry betweem my eyes not perfect. And who has a perfectly symmetrical face, I think nobody.

I think that whatever desicion you take, take it for yourself, not other people, not even your loved ones, even they do not live in your body. If you have pain, no one else but yourself will feel it. And you have to weigh in between all of the options, your looks, feelings, health, etc. and the most important: the outcome for yourself, not other people.

Rgds,

JPH

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Thank you very much JPH for your valuable advice. This was really very helpful for me. This is true, its only me who need to decide and words from you all is helping my way ahead. I will surely follow ur advice and look forward for the best safe option. :)

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,
Navya

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Good morning Navya,
I had my eye removed 31 years ago due to an accident. I had an implant and an artificial eye put in place.
In the beginning I was very nervous about this procedure as the questions were "would all of this make me look the same as I was before the accident?".
Well I was very surprised as it turned out to be, "almost" looking the same as it was before.
However whilst it was not perfect it was as good as :).
We all see our selves differently although my main concern was to be pain free and looking almost as "natural" as can be.
Apart from the odd seasonal discomfort (hay fever allergy) I have enjoyed my life with some added plastic parts etc.
Just recently I had a major update with a new implant and prosthesis etc.
I have been so happy that everyone around me has accepted me as I am. At times we joke about my having "one eye", as now I have some spare eyes so they keep an eye on the house whilst I am out shopping :lol: :lol:
With todays technology there are a lot of expert surgeons and ocularists out there.
Perhaps if you decide to go through with this there are a couple of points to remember. There will be post op swelling, it usually takes 6-8 weeks for everything to settle down, especially when you get your prosthesis, mine looked like it was bulging for a few weeks then it settled down and now looks almost perfect with movement etc.
I hope this perspective can help you make an informed decision on your future.
May Peace and Love be always with You
Cheers
Barry

Top Top