Login | Register

Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 pm

My eye sight was very poor in both eyes when I was diagnosed with Choroidal Melanoma. I'm right side dominant and it was my right eye removed. Now I'm so frustrated with the fact I'm blind without glasses that when I set them down, they blend in with the table they are on. But also, things right in front of me I overlook. My depth perception is gone and so I'm very frustrated. Any suggestions to help me? Please?

Top Top

Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 am

I welcomed you and replied in your other topic.

Top Top

Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am

Hi and welcome to this wonderful Forum where I promise you, you will get a lot of help, understanding and great advice...I had a choroidal melanoma in my right eye and had an enucleation...Yes depth perception does get thrown off for a long while with only one eye even with good sight in the seeing eye...you must wear polycarbonate glasses to protect your good eye at all times and to help you see...frustrated very understanding but it does get better..

I was diagnosed on July 3, 2014 and had my
Enucleation July 9, 2014 (Female 64)

Last edited by Lil on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Wed May 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to be! Everyone always has great advice and is very supportive. I wanted to add that if your frustration is constant and/or causing you to feel depressed, then it is a good idea to see a therapist as well. A good therapist can really help to accept things that are beyond your control, and help take things a day at a time.

Other good ideas:
-Take deep breaths
-Pause for a moment to think about positive things in your life; saying it out loud also really helps. If you think of something negative- let it go and try again. This can be really hard (I'm personally not that good at it)
-Look to your loved ones for support
-Vent about it here. Most people here have been there, and those who haven't are willing to listen.
-Try laughing about it- finding humor in even the darkest times can be very healing.

Top Top

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I was in exactly the same position 5 years ago. Lost my good eye to OM and was left with a the weak one. Had not worn glasses before because bad eye was so bad they could not adequately correct to good eye.

All I can say is you will adapt and it gets better. I was very frustrate for years but find it less of an issue all the time. Stay patient and you will adapt.

Troy

Top Top