Login | Register

Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Matt Singer's eerily lifelike invention, an artificial eye he sculpts with the care and patience of an artist in his Downtown Memphis office, has earned him national media attention.

An ABC television news crew brought its cameras to Singer's lab in the Morgan Keegan Tower Thursday, eager to meet the man behind the prosthetic device for which he began clinical trials in 2005. It is not clear when the segment will air on the national network newscast.

ABC was especially interested in Singer's silicone prosthetic eye, which he developed and tested with help from surgeons at the Memphis-based Hamilton Eye Institute, part of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com:80/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=97097

Top Top

Fri May 11, 2007 7:54 pm

HappySad wrote:
Matt Singer's eerily lifelike invention, an artificial eye he sculpts with the care and patience of an artist in his Downtown Memphis office, has earned him national media attention.

An ABC television news crew brought its cameras to Singer's lab in the Morgan Keegan Tower Thursday, eager to meet the man behind the prosthetic device for which he began clinical trials in 2005. It is not clear when the segment will air on the national network newscast.

ABC was especially interested in Singer's silicone prosthetic eye, which he developed and tested with help from surgeons at the Memphis-based Hamilton Eye Institute, part of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com:80/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=97097

Wow, that's awesome, I wonder when this will become available to the general public.

Top Top

Fri May 11, 2007 11:34 pm

Other than the eye being "sculpted", whats unique about it? - Amy

Top Top

Sat May 12, 2007 8:04 am

Amy wrote:
Other than the eye being "sculpted", whats unique about it? - Amy

From what I obtained, the properties that go along with silicone.
It's softer (feels more natural), less irritating to the socket, and allows for better flow of natural fluids (no dry eye).

For more info:
http://www.flexiglasseye.com/benefits.html

Top Top

Sat May 12, 2007 10:06 am

more here
http://www.memphisdailynews.com:80/Editorial/StoryFocus.aspx?&id=97107

Top Top

Sat May 12, 2007 2:22 pm

thank you - Amy

Top Top

Sun May 13, 2007 1:31 am

Hmmmm.....that's interesting reading. Thanks for posting that site. I'm sure that acrylic will become obsolete in the near future. If not silicone then another material will eventually replace what we all have now. A new and improved eye that would eliminate dry eye would definitely be a plus in my book.

Top Top

Thu May 17, 2007 7:36 am

I read the article, and from that and his website it seems like he only works with socket reconstruction. Most likey he does the regular shells too. But I didnt get that.

Also thought it was absurd that the entry into the occularist profession is such a closely guarded privilage. they really should teach it at a university so that there could be more of them. More competition for clients would mean cheaper eyes. I paid almost 3k for mine.

Top Top