Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:03 pm

My wife recently lost her eye to cancer. She is having a hard time dealing with it and we feel that the artificial eye should be the best possible. LOcation and cost are not important and we have had a recommendation from her opthomologist. But I would appreciate your input on various ocularists since personal experience and results are the best indicators.

Top Top

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 pm

This is who I went to and I think he did an outstanding job!

John L. Hadlock, BCO, BADO
Board Approved Diplomate Ocularist
Certified by National Examining Board of Ocularists

(480) 962-5841

He has 2 offices, one in Mesa, AZ and one in Phoenix, AZ. The phone number is for the main office in Mesa.

You might also check here.... http://www.ocularist.org to maybe find one closer to home.

Good luck!

Renee

Top Top

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Louis,

You might want to post the name of the ocularist who was recommended to your wife. Maybe someone here has heard of him or her and can give you some feedback good or bad... :)

This is a great site. Lots of information is available from others who have gone through the same thing. I lost my eye to cancer as well. Life goes on though. :D

Renee

Top Top

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Mr. John A. Kennedy, Eye Design Ocular Prosthetics, 145 W. Main Street, Suite 120, Tustin, CA 92780, (714) 508-8565.

Since I started LostEye.com, I have sent quite a few people to John and they have all been extremely happy with the results. Plus, he's just a good guy.

John's fees are very reasonable too, at least by California standards.

Check out "Lost Eye : Coping with Monocular Vision after Enucleation or Eye Loss from Cancer, Accident, or Disease" at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595392644 and my e-mail is jay_adkisson [at] msn.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:23 pm

I just wanted to say that I have a fantastic Ocular Prosthetic made by a woman named Ottie Thomas- Smith. She is an awesome person. I have been going to her for twelve years. I lost my eye when I was sixteen. She has an office in Boston and her company is out of Jackson, Maine.

Its Called "Boston Ocular Prosthetics, Inc."

I hope this helps getting input from people all over the country!!
Take Care,
Lian :D

Top Top

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:58 pm

I am going to James Strauss this spring in Rochester NY from California, for the first time. I have met with him but haven't yet had him craft me a prosthesis. I have seen some of his work and he is very knowledgable and really is keenly aware of the nuances of to assess a prosthesis.

I have never been thrilled with the people here in Northern CA but they have all done a fine job - like you, I am seeking the best I can find.

I will keep you all posted.

Top Top

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:20 am

We just returned home from a visit to Strauss Eye Prosthetics in Rochester, NY. Our nine year old son Ethan was fitted with his first prosthesis over a two day period. We worked with Michael Strauss and his wife Michele who did the painting. We couldn't be more thrilled. Ethan is so happy with his new eye. Their professionalism and talents are only surpassed by their kindness and gentle spirit. They walked our family through the entire process which was simply amazing. Michael's father James and mother Josie (office mgr.) made us all feel most welcomed. It was obvious how confident James is, of his son and daughter-in-laws skills. We obviously would highly recommend them.

Top Top

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 am

Louis,

You need to post your location so we can help with an excellent referral. Many of us have used different ocularists in search for the best. For those of us who have had an artificial eye for many years, we have seen fair to good to excellent eye matches as well as eye fittings. We are familiar with the process and know what to expect from the finished product. We're here to help you out, just need a little more information. There is no sense in traveling across country when an excellent ocularist maybe just across the state line.

Top Top

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:27 pm

We live in Atlanta, but have family in New York, Boston, and Phoenix. Since my wife and I spend extensive time in all those areas, location is not important. Thanks for everyone's input.

Louis

Top Top

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi,
I love Elise Pratt at Cox Ocular in Birmingham Alabama. She and her Dad (who is said to be the best around), her husband Tom and her brother all make eyes. They are very good and very fast, but never rushed. I was done in 6 hours!

They are not too far to drive from Atlanta. They are in Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital, 4th floor.
1-800-426-5392
$2000 for the shell & all follow ups

ELizabeth (Alabama)

Top Top

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:15 pm

hi there, my ocularist is in London. It may be far from where you are but she is great! I have been going to her for 18 years now and nobody can tell I am wearing a shell, both my eyes are almost the same color. I have 12 different shades of colors in my eye, but still she is an artist and does a great job, and always positive. Her name is Paula Gladden. Good luck! :)

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]